Goldenhill v shortlees.. The big one scottish cup final

I think its time football changed the rule that allows a boy who has 10 yellow cards over a long season, with no reds, to be banned from the Scottish cup final, and the chance to play in probably the biggest game of his life. The champions league brought a rule in two years or so ago, whereby if you got to the semi final of the cup your yellow cards did not count and they were scrubbed, thus allowing you to play in the semi final, where only a red card would get you banned for the final. How can we change to that rule, and can we?

Dougie is absolutely gutted, and we are gutted for him. You play all your life to get to a national final at your national stadium, and you cant play because you have 10 booking's. I think this rule is out dated and needs looking at. Surely everyone involved wants to see the best players of both teams going at each other in the final, with no excuses, with both teams out with injuries at full strength. Surely this rule needs changed, i don't think it's right, and i say this honestly, on behalf of all amateur players, no matter who they play for. I don't know whether the Ayrshire could have held this ban back or not, so i cant really comment, and wouldn't like to think so, as i would be really disappointed in them/him/her, if i found out they could have. Surely if they could have, they would have, as after all we are representing their league. Dougie, with his engine in midfield will be a very big loss to us, but the players will play their hearts out for him, and for the club. We know whats at stake here and it is going to be a real tough one, no matter what players we will have available anyway's. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its time football changed the rule that allows a boy who has 10 yellow cards over a long season, with no reds, to be banned from the Scottish cup final, and the chance to play in probably the biggest game of his life. The champions league brought a rule in two years or so ago, whereby if you got to the semi final of the cup your yellow cards did not count and they were scrubbed, thus allowing you to play in the semi final, where only a red card would get you banned for the final. How can we change to that rule, and can we?
Dougie is absolutely gutted, and we are gutted for him. You play all your life to get to a national final at your national stadium, and you cant play because you have 10 booking's. I think this rule is out dated and needs looking at. Surely everyone involved wants to see the best players of both teams going at each other in the final, with no excuses, with both teams out with injuries at full strength. Surely this rule needs changed, i don't think it's right, and i say this honestly, on behalf of all amateur players, no matter who they play for. I don't know whether the Ayrshire could have held this ban back or not, so i cant really comment, and wouldn't like to think so, as i would be really disappointed in them/him/her, if i found out they could have. Surely if they could have, they would have, as after all we are representing their league. Dougie, with his engine in midfield will be a very big loss to us, but the players will play their hearts out for him, and for the club. We know whats at stake here and it is going to be a real tough one, no matter what players we will have available anyway's. 

Feel for this Dougie lad. Watched him play a couple of times and he is a big miss. Wee guy goes through everything and has some engine.

I believe the AFA could have held this suspension or put it through quicker?

I know this is all hindsight but were you aware of this ban coming up when he was on 8 or 9 yellows? Makes me wonder if you could have played it smarter and told him to get booked earlier to clear his slate. How many games did he get?

I agree with that Cunny but think it should go a step further. The English fa also have a rule that resets all bookings after a certain date ( I think it's 30th Jan). This meaning that lads that have maybe went 30 games and collected 5 bookings on their 30th game don't end up missing out on a final or a game to win a league, it's just not fair. Obviously if you have been given a straight red that's different but a cup final between say Stewarton and galston could be decided down to who have played less games In theory as Stewarton might have had 4 players earning 5 bookings over 30 games so have 4 players suspended, where as galston only played 23 and had 7 players on 4 booking before the final.

It is a shame to miss any big game over such an outdated rule an even bigger shame for it to be a final, although I have to say 10 bookings I do have a little less sympathy for, then again, a Scottish cup final ? It just doesnt sit right at all .

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Going to head along to this, quite a few of the boys I go to Killie games doing likewise.

I think Shortlees will have a big support through.

The howard arms loyal are very welcome mate. The more the merrier :P 

5 minutes ago, The Mouth said:

The howard arms loyal are very welcome mate. The more the merrier :P 

Ha, aye they are going too.  Few of the boys on that, rest on train I think.

I'm in Shawlands anyway so a 10 minute walk via a few pubs for me!

If I’m being honest I don’t think the pitch suits anyone. It great to have the final at Hampden and the safa should be congratulated for making that happen. My honest opinion is you don’t see the best of amateurs teams or players on that size of park 

To be honest I agree with this regarding the size of pitch and not seeing the best of amatuer teams as they aren’t used to the space available on the pitch for a change for one game only so I can be a bit of a miss match and take a bit of time to get used too potentially. If teams are shaped and hold positions properly then it would be easier but amatuer sides cannot do this on a public park and or practice this at training unfortunately... on sundays game I believe there will be goals in it as the space will provide opportunity for the more creative, pacey players and issues for defences. Being from Kilmarnock I’d like to see shortlees win the final and I defo think they’ll score but I also defo think they’ll concede as the defence is the weakest part of their side, that’s not a dig at all it’s just an opinion. Good luck to both sides though and I hope they have a good day. [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️

4 hours ago, 4-3-3R said:

To be honest I agree with this regarding the size of pitch and not seeing the best of amatuer teams as they aren’t used to the space available on the pitch for a change for one game only so I can be a bit of a miss match and take a bit of time to get used too potentially. If teams are shaped and hold positions properly then it would be easier but amatuer sides cannot do this on a public park and or practice this at training unfortunately... on sundays game I believe there will be goals in it as the space will provide opportunity for the more creative, pacey players and issues for defences. Being from Kilmarnock I’d like to see shortlees win the final and I defo think they’ll score but I also defo think they’ll concede as the defence is the weakest part of their side, that’s not a dig at all it’s just an opinion. Good luck to both sides though and I hope they have a good day. emoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.png

Thanks mate. 

On 17/05/2018 at 00:13, Cunny said:

Cunny I really hope yous win on Sunday and as for wee dougie he’s a top top player and will be a huge miss , but surely when he was on 9 bookings that was up to u guys to take him out the team as the way he plays he could get booked anytime ? 

Anyway best of luck from all at Darvel and wee favour any chance of loaning us Keir for a season , he’s no bad at the game ha 

17 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Cunny I really hope yous win on Sunday and as for wee dougie he’s a top top player and will be a huge miss , but surely when he was on 9 bookings that was up to u guys to take him out the team as the way he plays he could get booked anytime ? 

Anyway best of luck from all at Darvel and wee favour any chance of loaning us Keir for a season , he’s no bad at the game ha 

Got a point there but I don’t pick the team anymore. But I’ve got to agree mate, in hindsight it would have made sense. 

13 hours ago, montheton said:

If being honest a ban is deserved if your had 10 bookings. Does not matter if its a cup final or not. Shows a lack of discipline.

17 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Nope 

13 hours ago, montheton said:

If being honest a ban is deserved if your had 10 bookings. Does not matter if its a cup final or not. Shows a lack of discipline.

Maybe your right, but Dougie is a fair but aggressive player, and we have played probably well over 40 games this season, 1 booking every 4+ games, I know his record could and should be a lot better, but he never assaulted anyone or anything like that. So not to play in a Scottish cup final because you have 10 yellows is just not right. It is a fkn shame, and the rules need to be changed. That’s just my opinion for any player, at any level. He could have started his ban after the final. Imagine Argentina v Portugal and Messi and Ronaldo were banned for the final. The game to watch as a spectacale, just wouldn’t be the same. Just my thoughts, but hey what do I know. 

Cunny send rougie up on the boys bus we will soon take his mind of not making the final

gl the morra my auld friend think you'd are going into game as underdogs but that's the way we like it and I hope the pub is open early for us all

4 hours ago, sunnysider said:

Cunny send rougie up on the boys bus we will soon take his mind of not making the final

gl the morra my auld friend think you'd are going into game as underdogs but that's the way we like it and I hope the pub is open early for us all

Lol , no shortlees no party , 

Archived