• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Exactly. Selling their shares isn't their only option. It's their last option.

Realistically what other options do they have?Because i dont see any and they havent intimated  any other options.

If its a waiting game then none of them is getting any younger and we know some members have passed away.I dont think trying to pull a Steadman and sell the ground is possible either.

Another move to another venue seems unlikely too.

I believe there are some other members of Brabco  who remain anonymous.Unless they have a trick up their sleeve i can see selling being the only option.

Point is .....who would be willing to buy us?

Anyone got Lord Haughey's number?

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Realistically what other options do they have?Because i dont see any and they havent intimated  any other options.

If its a waiting game then none of them is getting any younger and we know some members have passed away.I dont think trying to pull a Steadman and sell the ground is possible either.

Another move to another venue seems unlikely too.

I believe there are some other members of Brabco  who remain anonymous.Unless they have a trick up their sleeve i can see selling being the only option.

Point is .....who would be willing to buy us?

Anyone got Lord Haughey's number?

They have the option of reapplying for the stadium move with improvements to the proposal. They have the plan B which they told us about previously of building houses around the current ground. They have the option of sitting and waiting to see what opportunities may arise (remembering that they've now sat on this investment for 10 years, will another 5-10 really put them off?). They have the option of selling their shares but nobody is going to give them circa £4 million quid for DFC (which is imagine is close to the figure they'll be looking for to recoup investment and make some profit) and as you point out, even if they were looking to cut and run, who's coming forward to buy the club?  If they were looking to cut and run, the club would be up for sale by now IMO. And we should remember that when Rankine was selling we had very few come forward, with a stadium move now rejected I don't see how any negotiating position for new owners is improved.

The ideal scenario for Brabco IMO is that the club goes tits up and they're left with prime land to sell for as many houses as they can cram onto it. That's something I think all Sons fans should be looking to prevent.

The ideal scenario for Brabco IMO is that the club goes tits up and they're left with prime land to sell for as many houses as they can cram onto it. That's something I think all Sons fans should be looking to prevent.

If that’s what they really want to do, they could engineer it. However, if they couldn’t get planning permission ( because of golden share or cost of remediation of the land) they might be stymied there too. I’ll be amazed if we see property built on the land with the stadium still there. The only opportunity I can see is for a possible marina and deep mooring site. Rankine had a plan for doing just that at one time. Whatever happened to him?

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

They have the option of reapplying for the stadium move with improvements to the proposal. They have the plan B which they told us about previously of building houses around the current ground. They have the option of sitting and waiting to see what opportunities may arise (remembering that they've now sat on this investment for 10 years, will another 5-10 really put them off?). They have the option of selling their shares but nobody is going to give them circa £4 million quid for DFC (which is imagine is close to the figure they'll be looking for to recoup investment and make some profit) and as you point out, even if they were looking to cut and run, who's coming forward to buy the club?  If they were looking to cut and run, the club would be up for sale by now IMO. And we should remember that when Rankine was selling we had very few come forward, with a stadium move now rejected I don't see how any negotiating position for new owners is improved.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

If that’s what they really want to do, they could engineer it. However, if they couldn’t get planning permission ( because of golden share or cost of remediation of the land) they might be stymied there too. I’ll be amazed if we see property built on the land with the stadium still there. The only opportunity I can see is for a possible marina and deep mooring site. Rankine had a plan for doing just that at one time. Whatever happened to him?

I highlighted realistically.No way do they have money to re-apply at YF.I agree with HW that houses built on the land  with the stadium in place is a no-goer (Christ i doubt they  would  let us  put up an extra stand should we want one, let alone housing).The council will not buy it.The land the stadium is on will only be really worth anything when we are no longer there.

How hard is it for Brabco to do a Steadman and sell out leaving us homeless..i dont know for sure, but i am lead to believe it would be difficult.As far as i can see their only plausible option is selling up to cut their losses.Its a waiting game now, and if it is true that they are skint as we are led to believe then their REAL  options are almost nil.

Would the Marina idea be difficult now given the walkway that has been proposed?Or would that not affect?

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I highlighted realistically.No way do they have money to re-apply at YF.I agree with HW that houses built on the land  with the stadium in place is a no-goer (Christ i doubt they  would  let us  put up an extra stand should we want one, let alone housing).The council will not buy it.The land the stadium is on will only be really worth anything when we are no longer there.

How hard is it for Brabco to do a Steadman and sell out leaving us homeless..i dont know for sure, but i am lead to believe it would be difficult.As far as i can see their only plausible option is selling up to cut their losses.Its a waiting game now, and if it is true that they are skint as we are led to believe then their REAL  options are almost nil.

The Clydebank/Steedman thing is not a good comparison. Kilbowie at the time stood on very valuable commercial land which was worth top dollar. The ground at the Rock would never be given permission for commercial development and it is very debatable that the land is worth anything with the twin impedements of the Golden Share or ground remediation works being factored in. It is more like a possible Third Lanark/Hiddleston scenario where the owner tought he could wind the club up and sell the land but the Corporation refused permission for housing.

Here's what it looks like 51 years after the Thirds were wound up.

cathkin_terrace.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

The Clydebank/Steedman thing is not a good comparison. Kilbowie at the time stood on very valuable commercial land which was worth top dollar. The ground at the Rock would never be given permission for commercial development and it is very debatable that the land is worth anything with the twin impedements of the Golden Share or ground remediation works being factored in. It is more like a possible Third Lanark/Hiddleston scenario where the owner tought he could wind the club up and sell the land but the Corporation refused permission for housing.

Here's what it looks like 51 years after the Thirds were wound up.

cathkin_terrace.jpeg

Aye but even winding the club up  with the aim to sell the land for housing  as you say, once the costs are factored in, is a no goer either.Surely selling up to recoup some money is better than that pic above , no?

2 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Aye but even winding the club up  with the aim to sell the land for housing  as you say, once the costs are factored in, is a no goer either.Surely selling up to recoup some money is better than that pic above , no?

Maybe but how do you sell a majority shaeholding in a worthless, loss making company with no heritable assets and an unspecifiied but considerable debt? Hiddleston gambled that Glasgow Corporation would change their mind once the club was gone. He was wrong.

49 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Maybe but how do you sell a majority shaeholding in a worthless, loss making company with no heritable assets and an unspecifiied but considerable debt? Hiddleston gambled that Glasgow Corporation would change their mind once the club was gone. He was wrong.

I watched that programme on BBC Alba a few weeks ago, about Third Lanark.

Excellent stuff, if very sad/gutting for their support who still remain loyal. One man's personal agenda killed them off. Such a shame.

Think Sons were the Thirds' final opponents?

Excellent stuff, if very sad/gutting for their support who still remain loyal. One man's personal agenda killed them off. Such a shame.

Indeed, a local publican played for and netted third Lanarks only goal that day in a 5-1 defeat.

8 minutes ago, albundy said:
25 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Indeed, a local publican played for and netted third Lanarks only goal that day in a 5-1 defeat.

That evening. It was a Friday night. The following day Scotland beat England 3-2 at Wembley.  Local publican =Drew Busby.

The only real answer to that is an angel or a fool......or the sonstrust...somehow.

Am I correct in thinking that since the Hi-Hi the only Scottish club to shuffle off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and join the bleedin' choir invisible has been Gretna? (That due to Brooks Mileson cutting down the money tree.)

There always seems to be someone out there - perhaps even wearing a flat bunnet - who will step in. I did not say there always is.

I personally know one of person (far from being a billionaire) who would be determined not to let the club die. He's not even a "supporter" by the usual definition, but the club was part of his youth. He bought his local pub not to make money but to stop it being sold to a brewery, although that is hardly a direct comparison.

Hell, even the Mail On Sunday stepped in a few years back to "save" the Vale juniors. (There was an article in a red-top about the club's plight, it was seen by one of the MoS's sports editors who, though not a football fan, was from Alexandria and helped get them substantial (for their level) funding for two years.)

Football club saviours move in mysterious ways.

1 hour ago, Old Scrotum said:

Am I correct in thinking that since the Hi-Hi the only Scottish club to shuffle off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and join the bleedin' choir invisible has been Gretna? (That due to Brooks Mileson cutting down the money tree.)

There always seems to be someone out there - perhaps even wearing a flat bunnet - who will step in. I did not say there always is.

I personally know one of person (far from being a billionaire) who would be determined not to let the club die. He's not even a "supporter" by the usual definition, but the club was part of his youth. He bought his local pub not to make money but to stop it being sold to a brewery, although that is hardly a direct comparison.

Hell, even the Mail On Sunday stepped in a few years back to "save" the Vale juniors. (There was an article in a red-top about the club's plight, it was seen by one of the MoS's sports editors who, though not a football fan, was from Alexandria and helped get them substantial (for their level) funding for two years.)

Football club saviours move in mysterious ways.

Clydebank?

16 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

If cutting their losses is the only option left for them, why is the club not up for sale?

Archived