2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
5 minutes ago, Deputy Keeper said:
Well done OKI. Keeper is indeed Ian Bird. Flew off soon after this picture was taken I believe.
Pot Watson in the tracksuit and Joey Donnelly beside him in the suit.  Next question: what did Joe Donnelly do which (as far as I know) no other player in the history of the Sons has done?

Scored a hat-trick on his debut (in a 6-2 win at Hamilton) ?

Opponents and venue correct, but wrong match. Think previous season.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But if it WAS that did Chris Templeman not emulate it in the first half at The Shire ?

I believe so, but why wouldn’t you sign someone who does that?

Kris Robertson was another, outstanding debut as a trialist, making easily 6 outstanding saves, then we never took up the option of signing him.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Deputy Keeper said:
Well done OKI. Keeper is indeed Ian Bird. Flew off soon after this picture was taken I believe.
Pot Watson in the tracksuit and Joey Donnelly beside him in the suit.  Next question: what did Joe Donnelly do which (as far as I know) no other player in the history of the Sons has done?

Scored a hat-trick on his debut (in a 6-2 win at Hamilton) ?

I think you'll find that it was Kenny Wilson that scored the hat trick v Hamilton.Roy McCormack (2) and Brian Gallagher were the other scorers that day. Donnelly didn't play.

2 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Calling O'Kelly Isley!

I know everyone here except "Newman" (goalkeeper) and the two guys in the right of the pic next to God (J.Graham)

dfc.jpg

This picture was taken before our match against Montrose, a routine 4-0 win. I was at school briefly with Pot Watson's brother Winker. I think the photo is from a December 1970 issue of "Football Scot" magazine.

Just now, lionel wickson said:

This picture was taken before our match against Montrose, a routine 4-0 win. I was at school briefly with Pot Watson's brother Winker. I think the photo is from a December 1970 issue of "Football Scot" magazine.

Was that the game Johnny Graham weaved along the byline at the Turnberry End before scoring ?   And I'm sure Montrose had a guy called Stewart who tried to kick him all over Boghead.

Check out this squad list by the way, it was a revolving door in the dressing room that season!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967–68_Dumbarton_F.C._season#Squad[1]

1 hour ago, Deputy Keeper said:

Opponents and venue correct, but wrong match. Think previous season.

7 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm sorry to be pedantic but whilst I think the picture in Football Scot was taken on that occasion, the one that appeared in the magazine was at an oblique angle. This is all from memory so there is every chance I'm wrong!!

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Was that the game Johnny Graham weaved along the byline at the Turnberry End before scoring ?   And I'm sure Montrose had a guy called Stewart who tried to kick him all over Boghead.

Check out this squad list by the way, it was a revolving door in the dressing room that season!

The 70-71 squad is HERE

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That was my first full season of following Sons, although I did get to go to a handful of games towards the end of the previous season, one of which was luckily the Friday night last game of the season (and for our opponents their last ever game). I remember the the  never-ending stream of new keepers too.

Re the Montrose game you mention, would that have been future Montrose, Ayr United and St Johnstone manager Alex Stuart your thinking of, although I don't remember him  particularly being a hatchet man, at least he wasn't a patch on Denis D'Arcy.

8 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

That was my first full season of following Sons, although I did get to go to a handful of games towards the end of the previous season, one of which was luckily the Friday night last game of the season (and for our opponents their last ever game). I remember the the  never-ending stream of new keepers too.

Re the Montrose game you mention, would that have been future Montrose, Ayr United and St Johnstone manager Alex Stuart your thinking of, although I don't remember him  particularly being a hatchet man, at least he wasn't a patch on Denis D'Arcy.

The Stewart to whom OKI refers was more than likely Ian Stewart, who played for the Gable Endies round about then.  He went on to manage Montrose, Brechin City and Arbroath.  In a previous life as a match official, I recall having him sent to the stand at Alloa while he was in charge of the Gable Endies!  If not a hatchet man he certainly had a sharp tongue on him.  Away from football Stewart was for a time a very senior civil servant, and if memory serves ended up as Chief Executive of a large local council in England.

Anyway, back to the Joe Donnelly question....he scored in the first minute of his Sons debut (possibly his first touch of the ball) against Hamilton Accies on 7th February 1970 in a 3v1 win at (old) Douglas Park.   Doubt if anyone before or since can trump that.?

50 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I'm sorry to be pedantic but whilst I think the picture in Football Scot was taken on that occasion, the one that appeared in the magazine was at an oblique angle. This is all from memory so there is every chance I'm wrong!!

You might well be right, but  wouldn't it be unusual for another colour picture from the same game to be around? My recollection of Football Scot was that it was initially in a newspaper format,  and later became a "glossy" magazine, maybe rebranded as Scottish Football Monthly. I'm pretty sure there was also a colour squad picture in a later issue of our squad at the start of the 73/74 season, at least I have a vague memory of John Taylor, Peter McQuade and Willie Borland being in that one. Maybe that was the one you're thinking of, although we would have been in our white strip and not the gold? I think that picture might have had the Stirlingshire Cup on display too, which we won at the end of the 72/73 season (beating East Stirlingshire 6-0 or 6-1, Tom McAdam scored 4 or 5, on the Monday holiday before we beat Dundee United 4-1 to stay up on the final day of the season). Actually, it might even have had the Lloret de Mar trophy too!

1 minute ago, Deputy Keeper said:

The Stewart to whom OKI refers was more than likely Ian Stewart, who played for the Gable Endies round about then.  He went on to manage Montrose, Brechin City and Arbroath.  In a previous life as a match official, I recall having him sent to the stand at Alloa while he was in charge of the Gable Endies!  If not a hatchet man he certainly had a sharp tongue on him.  Away from football Stewart was for a time a very senior civil servant, and if memory serves ended up as Chief Executive of a large local council in England.

Anyway, back to the Joe Donnelly question....he scored in the first minute of his Sons debut (possibly his first touch of the ball) against Hamilton Accies on 7th February 1970 in a 3v1 win at (old) Douglas Park.   Doubt if anyone before or since can trump that.?

He was the manager of the DHSS in Arbroath at one time in the 1980's if I'm not mistaken!

7 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

You have far too much time on your hands :lol:

Buchanan v Loy wouldn’t be a fair comparison.

Buchanan has spent a few years in League One in Scotland where he racked up a lot of his goals.

Loy and Stewart was a fairer comparison as they have had fairly similar careers.

Aw I thought Buchanan’s last two years in the championship he was the in the top 3-4 goal scorers, hibs hearts and rangers in the league then! both times his team where second bottom, I think he’s massively underrated and watching him when he was at livi was miles to good to be in league 1 he might be shite now as at his age a years a long time 

andy Jackson isn’t a prolific goal scorer but he’s a class act his all round play is exceptional, he missed the whole of last season due to injury but hopefully we get him back fit and you can judge for yourself how good he is 

4 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Aw I thought Buchanan’s last two years in the championship he was the in the top 3-4 goal scorers, hibs hearts and rangers in the league then! both times his team where second bottom, I think he’s massively underrated and watching him when he was at livi was miles to good to be in league 1 he might be shite now as at his age a years a long time 

andy Jackson isn’t a prolific goal scorer but he’s a class act his all round play is exceptional, he missed the whole of last season due to injury but hopefully we get him back fit and you can judge for yourself how good he is 

Just for clarity here, if you were offered the choice of Loy, Buchanan or Jackson, who would you take?

Anyone heading to East Kilbride on Saturday? I'm going to be out of the country for the entire Betfred group stage, and Mrs The Hunter wants to see Mango in the flesh again, so I'm looking forward to taking the wee trip through to see how the squad is shaping up

I wasn't going to bother with any games until the Hearts match, but I've got f**k all else to do this weekend and the weather looks scorching, so I may well try and get through to EK. Doesn't look the easiest to get to by public transport though and am I f**k driving, so I'll probably see how I feel on Saturday.  I imagine we'll have some trialists so hopefully someone can grab some photos.

7 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Honestly Buchanan Loy then Jackson but that’s assuming Loy is still the player he was

None of the players really did anything last season - why is Loy the only one with question marks over whether he's still a capable player?  Buchanan is 33 and only managed 9 goals in 33 League 1 appearances last year. Jackson barely played a game last year and has had a career nowhere near the level of Loy, he's never been short of an injury problem or two either.  Why do you assume Buchanan and Jackson will be the players they used to be?

I just find it odd so many are seemingly falling over themselves to try and tell us Loy will be shite - we know there's an element of risk, but on paper it's a great signing for this level and anyone who says they wouldn't have him in their team is lying IMO.

You asked me my opinion, buchanan has scored at every level he has played at so I would pick him, he had by all accounts a bad season last year and still scored 9, if all fit and available I’d take them in that order, Loy might just be a goal scoring machine in league 1  just don’t think he’s done much in the last 4 years and I thought he was over weight and uninterested last year! How many times have teams brought in great players with great cvs that just don’t do it, I look at dumbarton as a team of good pros with a good manager who will be organised and very hard to beat, can atkin play attacking football? Him and Dodds should sit down and try and figure out how to ;)

Archived