11 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

Dumbarton getting excited about a striker that scored about 1 league goal last season , no doubt Loy was a fantastic player a few years ago but he could be finished for all you lot know,

he also could be top drawer!!

Perry who I’ve seen play a good few times, never been impressed but as said he won’t play, bit of a rangers click going on at dumbarton tho, not sure if that’s a good or bad thing

dumbarton looking solid but if Loy is a dud they could be punchless again

i think most dumbarton fans may be in the same boat as us, I really just want to watch exciting football and I want my team to attack and score goals 

Or this time last year, when he was the most in-demand striker in the Championship.

He had a nightmare last season, and only managed to make nine starts all year under a manager who it's known he doesn't get on with. In a team where he'll be pretty much guaranteed a start every week in a league that (as you guys will know only too well) is a totally different standard with a management team who believe in him you'd have to fancy him to do something positive.

Looking through the list of strikers other clubs have signed so far there's nobody (yet) that I would choose to swap with Loy.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Moonball said:

As a player, you'll hear mixed reviews from Stranraer fans. Solid but unspectacular would probably be fair.

In terms of the person, as others have said, while reprehensible, this was six years ago and he's clearly grown up a lot since then.

Ask anyone at Stranraer and they'd tell you he's conducted himself professionally over the past 3 seasons. I doubt Ginge would be signing him if he hadn't.

We've all done stupid things (maybe not this stupid), but by all accounts he's put it well behind him.

Can he cover any full back positions?  Aitken loves a wee utility man in the middle of the park.

3 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

What's the big fascination with Loy btw? Good signing at this level but some people getting carried away imo. If he bags 20+ goals then fair enough....I can see this being a tight league this season. Bring it on emoji460.png

The guy was scoring goals in the division above in 2017 (hell he was scoring in the Premiership not long before that) and has had 1 bad season under a manager he doesn't get on with.  Who is getting carried away?  The only ridiculous statements I've seen are from Raith fans saying "enjoy your title win" and the like.  I don't think any Sons fan believes we'll win this league because of Rory Loy but after watching us limp through a season with the likes of Greg Morrison, a finished Iain Russell and Kevin fucking Nisbet leading the line then it should be no surprise that we're over the fucking moon with Loy.  The rest of the division are either clueless as to what Loy can offer or outright lying if they don't see it as a great signing for this level. FWIW, I don't think he will bag 20 goals, he hasn't done that before in a season but he has the potential to.

Genuinely think Raith will win the league at a canter, full-time should be the difference for them. Rest of the league looks anyone's guess though.

14 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

What's the big fascination with Loy btw? Good signing at this level but some people getting carried away imo. If he bags 20+ goals then fair enough....I can see this being a tight league this season. Bring it on emoji460.png

The difference between defences at Championship and league 1 are ridiculous.  Even looking at our games against teams like yourselves last season, we scored a large number of goals on the back of sloppy defending. You can get a lot more leeway at this level. There have been a huge number of forwards who have been relatively mediocre at Championship level, and who then drop down and suddenly look like they're world beaters. I've said it a few times, but Declan McManus, Liam Buchanan (at Livi), Shankland, Moffat and Moore at Ayr, Vaughan for ourselves are all good examples.

Loy has had a poor season, but he needs a new  club and lease of life. He'll get plenty of game time in a midfield who will provide plenty of opportunities for him. I'd be amazed if he's not at 20 goals. It'll be a tight league, but Dumbarton should be comfortably above the majority of teams.

I'd have been delighted if we'd signed Loy, but at Rovers we need to move on and look at alternatives. Still plenty of time for signings.

On the Thomson signing, the guy is clearly a fud. However, there are fuds in all walks of life and as far as I know, being involved in such incident is dealt with by the courts. Some employers might also dispense with the individual but surely part of his punishment isn’t to never work again?

if there’s one thing worse than a fud then it’s a fud with time on his hands.

”Exhibit A m’lud - Pie and Bovril”

Brings back memories of Durrant and Derek Ferguson getting done for sashing it up in a Glasgow kebab shop.

On the Thomson signing, the guy is clearly a fud. However, there are fuds in all walks of life and as far as I know, being involved in such incident is dealt with by the courts. Some employers might also dispense with the individual but surely part of his punishment isn’t to never work again?
Brings back memories of Durrant and Derek Ferguson getting done for sashing it up in a Glasgow kebab shop.
Well said wilf. The guy is a fud. If he does indeed sign I'm sure all our fans will give him our backing and leave the issues from his past where they belong. If of course he acts like a fud whilst signed with us then the above sentiment is out the window and he will deserve whatever abuse he gets.

41 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Not saying he shouldn't work again, I'm saying a Community Club needs to consider this sort of baggage before signing up the player. If behaviour like this is enough to dispense with the individual at a previous employer then it surely needs to be a consideration for future employers?

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

We’re you not linked with Craig Reid a couple of weeks back? I take it it’s all went quiet on that one? 

I just made that up tbh. With Cammy Ballantyne/Ross Perry signing I doubt we'll be looking at Reid.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not saying he shouldn't work again, I'm saying a Community Club needs to consider this sort of baggage before signing up the player. If behaviour like this is enough to dispense with the individual at a previous employer then it surely needs to be a consideration for future employers?

Are we a community club for the whole community? Do we believe in the rehabilitation of offenders? Or would we take the Tory view that rehab is for mugs?  

There are many, many community groups who are out there trying to get work for ex offenders. Some companies like timpsons make employing  a percentage of ex offenders their policy..

Quite apart from that, maybe maturity is dawning on Thomson. Maybe he’s also paid his dues for being a fud.

4 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Are we a community club for the whole community? Do we believe in the rehabilitation of offenders? Or would we take the Tory view that rehab is for mugs?  

There are many, many community groups who are out there trying to get work for ex offenders. Some companies like timpsons make employing  a percentage of ex offenders their policy..

Quite apart from that, maybe maturity is dawning on Thomson. Maybe he’s also paid his dues for being a fud.

I don't disagree with any of that. The club do need to consider these things though IMO.

I don't disagree with any of that. The club do need to consider these things though IMO.
I think every employer needs to consider it tbh. I do when I'm hiring people but ultimately it's not the deciding factor whether I'm going to hire someone or not. I would imagine most places, including football clubs, are the same. I'd be a bit more up in arms regarding it if it was say Craig Thompson, David goodwillie or Adam Johnson.

Just now, optimistic said:

Alan lithgow, Adam strachan, both fuds at certain times of their careers, yet welcomed into the Dumbarton community suite for a signature.

There was a fair bit of outrage and negativity about Lithgow when he signed but I'll grant you the support turned when they realised he was a decent player.  Strachan though, welcomed? I think that's stretching it. The signing was almost universally disapproved, he played 2 games for us and was sent on his way.

46 minutes ago, fuzzball said:

Very fair points. If he is still a fud then we will soon see.

His stats look ok and he’s been playing regularly in league 1 

3 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Alan lithgow, Adam strachan, both fuds at certain times of their careers, yet welcomed into the Dumbarton community suite for a signature.

Further back there were many more. Colin McNair being one unsuccessful attempt at rehab in more ways than one. Had Nade been younger you might even have seen him again. See Rangers/Flanagan.

Archived