Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

8 hours ago, onecowden said:

I wasn’t impressed when I’ve seen City this year. I took a wee chance and had a few quid on Cowden at 5/1. I wasn’t expecting us scoring 4 though. However I’ll take it.

Edit to add. Mathematically safe so for once a relaxing end to the season.

gives me an excuse to post this. Perhaps you'd like to play it over the tannoy next home game! 

One of life’s little coincidences. Working away in Liverpool this week. Sitting Billy no mates in a terrific pub I have grown to like. In comes a fella and his Mrs. Out of the corner of my eye recognise the badge on the top he is wearing. The Blue Brazil no less ! Turns out to be Dave Room, Cowden fan and lately resident of Aberdeen and now Liverpool. Has never been in this pub before ! Spent an enjoyable hour or in their company chatting about all things Cowden.  How cool is that! 

Edited by ronaldincoo

Sounds like a performance similar to Elgin away which seems along time ago now. Funnily enough Allan was the star that day aswell and we were clinical and was also 4-1(I think)

Unfortunately pretty much every performance between these  2 have been dire.

strange old game football sometimes.

19 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

One of life’s little coincidences. Working away in Liverpool this week. Sitting Billy no mates in a terrific pub I have grown to like. In comes a fella and his Mrs. Out of the corner of my eye recognise the badge on the top he is wearing. The Blue Brazil no less ! Turns out to be Dave Room, Cowden fan and lately resident of Aberdeen and now Liverpool. Has never been in this pub before ! Spent an enjoyable hour or in their company chatting about all things Cowden.  How cool is that! 

Nice one didn't realise that Dave had moved back down south.

8 minutes ago, big al said:

Sounds like a performance similar to Elgin away which seems along time ago now. Funnily enough Allan was the star that day aswell and we were clinical and was also 4-1(I think)

Unfortunately pretty much every performance between these  2 have been dire.

strange old game football sometimes.

We played well last week and could have snatched an equaliser. Allan played well and laid the goal on for Cox.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:
3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Yeah he left around Christmas time I think. Missing our drives down to the games!

To miss something, surely you have to do it in the first place? You're not allowed out to play on Saturdays!

10 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

To miss something, surely you have to do it in the first place? You're not allowed out to play on Saturdays!

:lol: I've made more games this season that last season - glory hunter!

23 hours ago, The Minertaur said:
23 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Yeah he left around Christmas time I think. Missing our drives down to the games!

So Dave’s missus is an Everton fan. This might be a good topic in its own right when we are all bored in the summer but we were racking our brains to find a link between Cowden and The Toffees. Dave’s other team Birmingham was easy Morgaro Gomis and Greg Stewart. Any suggestions no matter how random ?

4 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

So Dave’s missus is an Everton fan. This might be a good topic in its own right when we are all bored in the summer but we were racking our brains to find a link between Cowden and The Toffees. Dave’s other team Birmingham was easy Morgaro Gomis and Greg Stewart. Any suggestions no matter how random ?

Iain Jenkins, who was Danny Lennon's assistant, used to play for Everton. 

34 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

Aye can't think of an Everton like off hand apart from Dave's missus:lol:

Here's one for you AFC Bournemouth in season 97/98 Graham Mitchell and Derek Holmes were loan to us from Raith and Hearts. Mitchell had previous played for Bournemouth while Derek Holmes later joined them.

Another one Liverpool Billy Liddell was a Liverpool legend and also a cousin of former Cowden secretary Tam Ogilvie.

And another Sunderland Ian Poterfield was a one time Cowden trialist who went onto score the winning goal in the 73 FA Cup final for Sunderland.

Edited by cowdenbeath

30 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

And another Sunderland Ian Poterfield was a one time Cowden trialist who went onto score the winning goal in the 73 FA Cup final for Sunderland.

Fergie’s replacement at Aberdeen Ian Portferfield?

2 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Fergie’s replacement at Aberdeen Ian Portferfield?

That's the one his mum and dad stayed along the road from Big Bob back in the day. He was related to Tam as well (wife's cousin).

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 hour ago, ronaldincoo said:

Tenuous link on the Birmingham side, they had pretty much the same strip as us from 1986-88.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Tenuous link on the Birmingham side, they had pretty much the same strip as us from 1986-88.

Both the home and away strips then were Birmingham's made by the same company Matchwinner remember Joe Craig showing me socks they sent to us by mistake with BCFC on them:lol:

More tenuous links, this time to Everton.

In 1904, the Everton scout was watching Horne and Gilray from Cowden in a match against Leith.

In 1911/12, we were trying to sell Henderson to Everton for£400.

In the early 1920's the Everton scout was watching Jamieson from Cowden as a possible signing.

In the late 20's, they were watching our player, Murray. They decided he wasn't for them, but Wright might be a possible signing.

In the early 30's, we sent Everton a letter stating that all our team was available for sale. Subsequently, a scout came to watch us and stated that the only player good enough was 19 year old Stewart, a small outside left. They watched him for a number of games. This was when the legendary Alex Venters was in the team as well. They didn't fancy Venters.

What a memory I have. I didn't realise I was so old!

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Both the home and away strips then were Birmingham's made by the same company Matchwinner remember Joe Craig showing me socks they sent to us by mistake with BCFC on them:lol:

I still have at least one of our tops from that time.