Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

Having got back from a three-and-a-half-day trip last night, having travelled up to Edinburgh on Tuesday for the Hearts match, I've got to say I've never felt more confident for a team following a 5-0 defeat. I've still not watched the highlights so can't comment on whether it was a red card or not but my instant impression was it was a bad tackle with his foot going over the ball, and none of the players really complained at the time. I thought Cowden worked incredibly hard for each other in the first 45, forcing Hearts  on to the back foot a lot, making countless errors, but the sucker punch of the early second-half goal knocked the wind out the visitors.

Overall, though, despite the scoreline, the team appears to have shape, has a solid game plan and with the addition of a couple of loan signings over the course of the next few months, I really don't see why you shouldn't be pushing for the play-off this season. The spirit amongst the team and their willingness to work for each other, I think, will also only improve over time if a fine start to the campaign can be made and I'm really looking forward to the start of what could be a promising league campaign.

It was also great to meet up with a few more fans, spending the game with Big Al and a couple of post-match drinks with Steve. Hopefully see you, and many more, before the East Fife game next month!

All the best for the season fellas, get behind your team, keep the positive vibes going and who knows what might happen in 2018-19. Bring it on! C'mon Cowden!

Yeah good to meet you bud.

hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip. See you in a couple of weeks!

It's gone a bit quiet on here over the last few days so I thought I'd get the ball rolling again with some thoughts about the weekend's game against Clyde, and what your expectations are for the opening day and score predictions...

Yep, for the first time in a few seasons, I'm actually looking forward to the start. I don't expect us to be battling it out at the top, but early performances have allowed for a bit of optimism. I'd take a boring mid table finish, but I think we have a squad capable of pushing for a playoff spot.

We have a spine to the team that has been missing for a long, long time from a Cowden side.

Just out of interest, how have season ticket and shirt sales been going? Seen quite a few around the town for a change!

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

It's gone a bit quiet on here over the last few days so I thought I'd get the ball rolling again with some thoughts about the weekend's game against Clyde, and what your expectations are for the opening day and score predictions...

If Martin Scott is suspended for his straight red against Hearts, and we go with Sheerin alone upfront, we will struggle away to Clyde. We should have nothing to fear against Clyde, they are hardly unbeatable, and hopefully go with the formation from the first 3 cup games. 

1 upfront also means Kyle Miller comes in, and at the moment that isn’t good for the team either.

After 2 seasons bottom of this league, we really need a half decent start to build on the confidence from the cup. A few early defeats and the hard work of the summer is quickly forgotten.

We've looked better so far because we had 2 up top. Hearts excepted to start with and understandable.

I thought all season last year 1 up contributed to the issues. We started away at Elgin with 2 and I felt we were unlucky only to come away with a point.

I am gutted to be missing this one but I am optimistic we can win

1 hour ago, wulliemc said:

We've looked better so far because we had 2 up top. Hearts excepted to start with and understandable.

I thought all season last year 1 up contributed to the issues. We started away at Elgin with 2 and I felt we were unlucky only to come away with a point.

I am gutted to be missing this one but I am optimistic we can win

For much of the first half against Elgin we played the best we did all season. Clyde away won’t be easy.

I agree, this will be really tight. Opening games are often a bit of a lottery usually takes 4-5 games before  pattern of form emerges. 

It would seem, not surprisingly that Bollan has now had a bit of time to organise and change things a bit so Cowdenbeath will be determined to get off to a decent start and avoid their trauma of last two seasons (which I think they will quite comfortably, given Bollans track record). 

If we win it will be by the odd goal but would not be the slightest bit surprised if this is a draw. All depends how we defend as we will score!

Wee question for an article in the next programme I'm doing - what's the most memorable goal you've seen scored at the non High Street end of Central Park? Other than Toorie v Brechin have there been any other huge moments?

42 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Wee question for an article in the next programme I'm doing - what's the most memorable goal you've seen scored at the non High Street end of Central Park? Other than Toorie v Brechin have there been any other huge moments?

Brad Smith's against Cove in the play off:lol: in fact our last 3 goals against Cove have been at that end:lol:

Others which spring to mind were Gillys long ranger against Stirling Albion and Davie Armour getting the winner in the Skol Cup against St Mirren in 1984.

Edited to add

Thinking about it Brad's 2 home goals have both come at that end as he scored in the 1-0 win v Clyde last season at that end.

Edited by cowdenbeath

The goal Greg Stewart scored v Hibs. Scenes.

Gilfillan's goal was a screamer as mentioned.

I vaguely remember Mikko Paatelainen scoring a beauty too at that end.

Then there was Jordan Morton's v East Fife. Probably the purest struck shot I've ever seen in real life.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Syme's 20 yard bullet header back in the 90's. Can't remember who against. Can't recall much these days, the fact I remember this goal says it all.

4 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Jordan Morton v East Fife. 90% sure it was that end and it is probably the second best goal I have seen at Central Park (just after Gilfillan again Stirling Albion - not sure if I have ever mentioned that one...) AND we gave East Fife a right good doing that day but I am sure that was opener.

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

Jordan Morton v East Fife. 90% sure it was that end and it is probably the second best goal I have seen at Central Park (just after Gilfillan again Stirling Albion - not sure if I have ever mentioned that one...) AND we gave East Fife a right good doing that day but I am sure that was opener.

Yeah that was a 4-0 win over them.  If I remember right Morton scored first at that end before Colin Cameron scored a long ranger which took a deflection.  Mark Ramsay then scored a great goal from a throw in before Marc McKenzie scored in the last minute.

Good times :D 

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Did Gus Malone not score his bullet header at that end in the 2-1 win over Brechin in 1991-92?