The Next Livingston Manager

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

I don’t really see how this is news to anyone, our own director said so on the tv just the other night, so it’s hardly a secret that we are looking for someone who will be willing to work with the backroom staff that are already here so the likelyhood of it being someone experienced is pretty low and it’s more likely to be someone starting out with a bit of ambition or a manager willing to work with what’s here already. 

When we appointed Hopkin he had no managerial experience to note, that worked out ok. 

Where was this on TV ? Want to see if I can watch it online somwhere 

4 minutes ago, LiviLion00 said:

Where was this on TV ? Want to see if I can watch it online somwhere 

scroll back through BBC Sportsound's twitter and it should be there - from a few days ago.

Before I get accused of trolling, genuine question here.

What do livi fans think of the season ahead? Now admittedly I am coming from a position of total ignorance (only watched you in playoff semis and finals).

Do livi have a realistic hope of staying up? When I see the squad I am astounded that this bunch has made the premiership (all the credit in the world to hopkin’s job to be honest).

Clearly livi are about the sum of their parts but I am struggling to see this being a great season.

Again, totally ignorant having only watched the playoff but genuinely keen to hear what expectations are for this season.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What do livi fans think of the season ahead? Now admittedly I am coming from a position of total ignorance (only watched you in playoff semis and finals).

Do livi have a realistic hope of staying up? When I see the squad I am astounded that this bunch has made the premiership (all the credit in the world to hopkin’s job to be honest).

Clearly livi are about the sum of their parts but I am struggling to see this being a great season.

Again, totally ignorant having only watched the playoff but genuinely keen to hear what expectations are for this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go back down right away - we're here to enjoy it. Although I wouldn't be surprised either if we stay up. There's little to no expectation on the season, just to enjoy it and have a party.

Our team is better than a lot of people think, we have a few players experienced at this level and a few younger players that can definitely cope. Our biggest weakness now is that we need a striker to replace Ryan Hardie and we're waiting on Alexander's new contract being announced. Hoping Halkett stays too. If we can keep our defence together then we will very easily compete with a few. Our midfield from last season is all signed up (the core of it) + Falkirk's best player over the last 5 years Sibbald who's played in a few cup finals etc.

The players we've lost so far, Josh Mullin and Jackson Longridge were ones that were questionable in their ability to step up. We've still a while to go until we see our squad take shape, and more importantly a manager take over. The manager will likely be the biggest factor in the season ahead 

I wouldn't be surprised if we go back down right away - we're here to enjoy it. Although I wouldn't be surprised either if we stay up. There's little to no expectation on the season, just to enjoy it and have a party.

Our team is better than a lot of people think, we have a few players experienced at this level and a few younger players that can definitely cope. Our biggest weakness now is that we need a striker to replace Ryan Hardie and we're waiting on Alexander's new contract being announced. Hoping Halkett stays too. If we can keep our defence together then we will very easily compete with a few. Our midfield from last season is all signed up (the core of it) + Falkirk's best player over the last 5 years Sibbald who's played in a few cup finals etc.

The players we've lost so far, Josh Mullin and Jackson Longridge were ones that were questionable in their ability to step up. We've still a while to go until we see our squad take shape, and more importantly a manager take over. The manager will likely be the biggest factor in the season ahead 

Cheers for that, hope I didn’t come across totally ignorant.

I live in Edinburgh so looking forward to this as an away day. Been absolutely fascinated by livi since the playoffs got underway as think it’s just an outstanding achievement.

BUT, the squad seems really poor I have to say. I think lee miller at 35 being a key player is driving this negativity. Don’t get me wrong I loved him at Aberdeen (I think I was in a minority), but just had a real admiration for him and was gutted to see him leave. I fear for livi having lost a manager that clearly did wonders for you.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I live in Edinburgh so looking forward to this as an away day. Been absolutely fascinated by livi since the playoffs got underway as think it’s just an outstanding achievement.

BUT, the squad seems really poor I have to say. I think lee miller at 35 being a key player is driving this negativity. Don’t get me wrong I loved him at Aberdeen (I think I was in a minority), but just had a real admiration for him and was gutted to see him leave. I fear for livi having lost a manager that clearly did wonders for you.

Lee has been phenomenal since he joined us, his hold up play is brilliant and never loses a header. He's not a goal scoring striker just one that helps the play around him and sets up the play for the runners off him - and he scored an overhead kick v St Mirren :D 

I have said this all season, this squad remind me a lot of the one that came up the last time, and took everyone by surprise that season finishing 3rd. I by no means expect us to do that again, the quality we had back then was fantastic, but the attitude and commitment is the same and we have some good quality players this time around too, which gets ignored by the punt and rush tag put on us. Once we get the ball down in the final third we play some neat and tidy football.

Really think we just need a few additions to the core group of players to bulk out the squad a bit and we'll surprise everyone and stay up. Plays into our hands being underestimated, happened all season, even after finishing 2nd going into the play offs. 

Lee has been phenomenal since he joined us, his hold up play is brilliant and never loses a header. He's not a goal scoring striker just one that helps the play around him and sets up the play for the runners off him - and he scored an overhead kick v St Mirren [emoji3] 

I always liked him. He puts himself about but he’s a clever striker and to be fair to him he’s given himself longevity by playing to his strengths. Livi seems like a perfect fit for him in terms of the way you play (not meant in a derogatory way at all).

His time at the dons and the horrible tragedy he suffered with his ex wife just makes me really hope that the guy does well.

We were down to the bones up front in the play offs, Utd injured Hardie in the last league game of the season and then injured Rafa in the 2nd leg of the semi's, all we had left was Miller, but he ran his arse off for us and gave it everything, fortunately we had some great attacking midfielders to take up the slack too. Hardie was a huge miss for us in the play offs, he was on fire in the league playing alongside Miller, reckon we'd have skooshed it with him playing but we ground it out so all's good.

Midfield and defence is sound, just need some squad players for decent back up, obv will need to get a couple more strikers in with Rafa being injured and Miller our only fit striker, have faith in us getting that sorted though. Would be superb if we got Hardie back on loan from Sevco, or signed up on the books if he doesn't get signed back up by them.

We were down to the bones up front in the play offs, Utd injured Hardie in the last league game of the season and then injured Rafa in the 2nd leg of the semi's, all we had left was Miller, but he ran his arse off for us and gave it everything, fortunately we had some great attacking midfielders to take up the slack too. Hardie was a huge miss for us in the play offs, he was on fire in the league playing alongside Miller, reckon we'd have skooshed it with him playing but we ground it out so all's good.
Midfield and defence is sound, just need some squad players for decent back up, obv will need to get a couple more strikers in with Rafa being injured and Miller our only fit striker, have faith in us getting that sorted though. Would be superb if we got Hardie back on loan from Sevco, or signed up on the books if he doesn't get signed back up by them.

Cheers. Genuinely appreciated that summary. All the best for this season. Really hope you stay up. Just don’t be like Hamilton and beat us every fucking time we come calling.

45 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Realistically I don’t see why we can’t compete with teams like Hamilton, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Dundee, Motherwell. 

Admittedly its going to be very tough, no one is under any illusions at Livi, the fans or the staff, this is a free go at the premiership for us, we never in a million years expected to be in this position so I’m sure we are all going to enjoy it, which may well help us as well.

The one thing I’m absolutely certain of is this group of players will give absolutely everything regardless of who the manager is, I’ve genuinly not seen a harder working Livingston team in over 20 years following them. 

We are light in squad numbers right now, but we have the core of last seasons squad signed up, if we can somehow persuade Halkett to sign again and add some quality particularly up top then I really don’t see why we can’t stay in the league. 

Stating the obvious the aim will be 10th place, it will be a tough tough season but we have the opportunity to clear off a lot of the debt that is left if we play it right, and the guys we’ve got running us now I’m 100% confident will play it right, yes I said it, we actually have owners who a prudent with finances. 

I’m very much looking forward to seeing how we get on, I don’t think we will be the Brechin of the premiership like some people have said, let’s see who else we sign first, and who the manager will be and then we can reassess after the Betfred group stage. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I always liked him. He puts himself about but he’s a clever striker and to be fair to him he’s given himself longevity by playing to his strengths. Livi seems like a perfect fit for him in terms of the way you play (not meant in a derogatory way at all).

His time at the dons and the horrible tragedy he suffered with his ex wife just makes me really hope that the guy does well.

Feel the same about him. He always seemed to me like a clever forward - although his last spell in the top division was for us, and he seemed like a guy whose body couldn't keep up with his mind anymore.

The last time I saw him was for Falkirk, oddly enough against Livi, and he played really well in the level below. Can he make the step up 3 years later?...

I’ve only seen Livi in the 180 minutes of the play offs and I thought they looked more skilful than I imagined they would be. Very fit, aggressive and hard working, but players with confidence playing some decent stuff. However finishing anything above 10th will be a total miracle. Motherwell and St Johnstone are miles better, miles and miles.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St Johnstone seem to be in a bit of a transition this season, it wouldn't surprise me if they start slow. Agree on Motherwell though, they will be well beyond us.

I'd say about 20 points.

That's how many we'll finish above you by the way.

Livi are in for a long hard slog of a season. With Hopkin leaving, they look like a squad on par with Dundee's Club 12 season. They simply won't be ready. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think it's almost guaranteed that Livi will be in the bottom 2. St Mirren currently don't look like they'll be far behind. The key thing is the hope of dragging either us, Hamilton or the ilk into a horrendous battle at the bottom.

Archived