The Next Livingston Manager

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Livi are in for a long hard slog of a season. With Hopkin leaving, they look like a squad on par with Dundee's Club 12 season. They simply won't be ready. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think it's almost guaranteed that Livi will be in the bottom 2. St Mirren currently don't look like they'll be far behind. The key thing is the hope of dragging either us, Hamilton or the ilk into a horrendous battle at the bottom.

Heard it all before last season, exact same chat all through the season.

As it stands we obv need the manager in place (that will happen), and some strikers (again that will be done) midfield and defensively we're pretty well sorted but need to fill it out a bit for cover when suspensions and injuries hit (prob get a few on loan players to do that), and prob could do with a back up keeper cause i'd be shitting myself if Maley has to take over from Alexander (pretty sure he'll sign back up). These are all things that will be sorted during the close season.

I'm confident our style of play is more suited to staying up than St Mirren's, and we'll give teams a shock when they underestimate us, we'll be no pushovers.

As long as we're competitive though i'm not too bothered, again there is no expectation being put on the players, just want them to give it their best shot and I don't see them letting us down on that score, they're a strong willed, determined bunch and have a decent bit of ability too.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if Hopkin had stayed Livi would have been competitive in the Bottom Six and stood a decent chance of staying up simply through battling tooth and nail for every point.  

There's usually a club or two in the bottom half that appear to have a decent squad but have no heart for the fight.  (Partick this season, Utd and St Mirren previously). I'd say that spirit is one of the reasons the Accies have managed to stay up these past four seasons.

Who comes into replace the manager is an absolutely huge decision. Whether the new man can instil the same belief, spirit and organisation at a higher level is the big question.

Hopefully you finish above the fake Saints, I don't think there's anyone that wants these Paisley minks back in the top flight.

18 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St Johnstone seem to be in a bit of a transition this season, it wouldn't surprise me if they start slow. 

Folk have been saying this for the past three seasons. Our transition has been a steady process, we've slowly been replacing, then phasing out, key players. This season we'll be without Mannus and MacLean, but we've already got replacements in place in Clark and Kane/McMillan. 

Imagine the next two will be Anderson and Foster, and we've got Kerr/Gordon already in place for Anderson, with Shaughnessy more than capable of playing right back if anything untoward happens with Foster. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Folk have been saying this for the past three seasons. Our transition has been a steady process, we've slowly been replacing, then phasing out, key players. This season we'll be without Mannus and MacLean, but we've already got replacements in place in Clark and Kane/McMillan. 

Imagine the next two will be Anderson and Foster, and we've got Kerr/Gordon already in place for Anderson, with Shaughnessy more than capable of playing right back if anything untoward happens with Foster. 

Foster will be swimming with the fishes if I get my way.

If Livi can replicate the fight they displayed in the play offs I think they'll be fine. The team has splintered slightly but Sibbald will add to the quality that's clearly already there. I'd imagine Hardie or someone with impact up top and decent replacements for any players that leave.

If we end up in a relegation battle, we've got a lot of battlers in the squad. I'd back us to stay away from a proper relegation fight anyway, but think we'd at least show more fight than the likes of Thistle and County did this year.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Foster will be swimming with the fishes if I get my way.

If Livi can replicate the fight they displayed in the play offs I think they'll be fine. The team has splintered slightly but Sibbald will add to the quality that's clearly already there. I'd imagine Hardie or someone with impact up top and decent replacements for any players that leave.

If we end up in a relegation battle, we've got a lot of battlers in the squad. I'd back us to stay away from a proper relegation fight anyway, but think we'd at least show more fight than the likes of Thistle and County did this year.

That's my slight concern; I'm not sure we have in the way we used to. If you take Muzz out of the equation (e.g. an injury), I don't think there's many battlers/ players to pull us out of adversity in the midfield (possibly Liam Craig aside), especially if the chat about Spoony and Alston playing central comes to fruition.

Hopefully we get off to good start and it doesn't become an issue.

Anyway, back to Livi's next manager....

Don't think St. Johnstone will be in trouble or that we'll be anywhere near them, FWIW. Our main targets will clearly be St. Mirren and Hamilton.

I think Hardie, Halkett and Alexander signing would keep us competitive. We have to be looking to improve in the wide areas.

Going by John Ward’s tweet I don’t think John Hartson will be our next manager. 

I’m not overly fussed about that tbh, he wouldn’t have been my choice anyway.

I see Kevin Thomson has thrown his hat into the ring now. 

1 minute ago, andylivi1 said:

Going by John Ward’s tweet I don’t think John Hartson will be our next manager. 

I’m not overly fussed about that tbh, he wouldn’t have been my choice anyway.

I see Kevin Thomson has thrown his hat into the ring now. 

What did the tweet say?

Don't think St. Johnstone will be in trouble or that we'll be anywhere near them, FWIW. Our main targets will clearly be St. Mirren and Hamilton.
I think Hardie, Halkett and Alexander signing would keep us competitive. We have to be looking to improve in the wide areas.

Bold prediction not including Dundee.

Dundee are a team that can be beaten.

It also wouldn’t require an absolutely outrageous performance to beat them.

Definition of relegation fodder.

PLEASE NOT JOHN ROBERTSON AGAIN!!! Would be a massive step backward appointing him for a third time - where did he take us to last time?? No where! Hope these are just rumors!

12 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Bold prediction not including Dundee.

Dundee are a team that can be beaten.

It also wouldn’t require an absolutely outrageous performance to beat them.

Definition of relegation fodder.

Yep, from our last time in the top tier the teams down the bottom end of the tabled tended to be there the following season, unless Dundee had a bit of a cash injection and brought in a few quality players I can see them being down around the bottom 4 again. We had Dundee, Livi and Dunfermline battling relegation back then and each of us in turn went down in consecutive seasons.

The board should act very carefully if they want to continue the goodwill from last season. I understand they want someone with management experience but if that means some jobber like Jim Duffy, that will kill it. 

The papers are saying Livi don't plan on even drawing up a shortlist for another 9 days as they've tasked their assistant manager David Martindale to appoint the new manager and he's on holiday just now. 

What. The. f**k. :lol:

Archived