Will anyone else win the World Cup?

Shotgun

52 minutes ago, Flat Perther said:

Superior, not far superior.  

There are some teams that - regardless of how well they're structured - don't stand a chance.   

England has a shout and about 18/1 reflects their chances.   

I suspect Southgate ain't the man to bridge the gap.  

Subjective.  I would say far superior.  And if England have a chance (imo no chance) then Belgium have a better chance.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

West Germany, 1954, were the only real outsiders I can think of. And they were only outsiders because Hungary were so much better than anyone else at that time.

Long term I think the US, Mexico, China, Japan, Nigeria, Russia and DRC could win it. There is bound to be the odd long shot every fifty to a hundred years. I wouldn't rule out Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Morocco, Iran, Turkey, Poland, Netherlands, Portugal, South Korea or Colombia.

If pish like Greece and Portugal can win the Euros then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a diddyish nation could eventually win the World Cup.

I think it will be a favourites, competition this year, though. I'll be surprised if we have a single team who hasn't won it before make the semis.

Depends what you mean by outsiders.  You say Germany were outsiders cause there was one better team, well in that case there have been a lot of outsiders won it.

4 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Depends what you mean by outsiders.  You say Germany were outsiders cause there was one better team, well in that case there have been a lot of outsiders won it.

I meant because they were so much better than anyone else. I don't think anyone has ever been such a massive favourite going into a tournament. Plus the Germans were absolutely pumped by the Magyars in the Groups.

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Democratic Republic of Congo?

Yeah. Excluding cricketing countries and Indonesia who seem, for some reason, to be shit at all sport, they are going to be one of the biggest countries on the planet in the next few decades.

They're a contender for first African winner, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah. Excluding cricketing countries and Indonesia who seem, for some reason, to be shit at all sport, they are going to be one of the biggest countries on the planet in the next few decades.

They're a contender for first African winner, IMO.

^^^ Not a badminton fan IMO.

3 minutes ago, Flat Perther said:

A little better not much better for me.  

I rank England below Belgium, but alongside Croatia or Poland.  Both for certain can win WC18, as can England.     

Lol.  England cannot win the world cup.  Scotland have as good a chance.  Croatia at a push.

Belgium are miles better, England have like two players that would get near their team.

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Obviously my subconscious buried the memory of 1978.

A man after my own heart.

I hadn't realised we'd played Peru before...

9 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Lol.  England cannot win the world cup.  Scotland have as good a chance.  Croatia at a push.

Belgium are miles better, England have like two players that would get near their team.

You're a fucking rocket. How have Scotland got as good a chance as England? They're in the fucking tournament. 

The way lottery money has transformed the performances of GB Olympic sports makes you wonder what a similar endeavour towards football could achieve somewhere like China for example. I’d guess for the next 30 years at least there will be no ‘new’ winners after Iran this time.

Guest DAVIDB69
A team from Africa will win it before 3000. You can quote me on that. 

Didn’t pele say an African side would win it by 2000.

Don’t even think an African side will get out of the groups

Archived