France 98 Opening Game

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a 17.30 kick off.

I remember now why we were all singing that 'When the Scots go up to lift the World Cup!' song. It was because there was an episode of McCoist and McAuley on TV a few days before and they ended by them and the audience all singing it.

Also the Only An Excuse France 98 special was brilliant, especially the song at the end.

Not sure what it is specifically about France 98, but even though my vivid memories of Tournaments start with Mexico '86...(have convinced myself I remember bits of Spain '82 but not sure I actually do )both France '98 and Italia '90 seem to have been absolute standouts.

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Club
1 GK Jim Leighton 24 July 1958 (aged 39) 86 Scotland Aberdeen
2 MF Jackie McNamara 24 October 1973 (aged 24) 6 Scotland Celtic
3 DF Tom Boyd 24 November 1965 (aged 32) 55 Scotland Celtic
4 DF Colin Calderwood 20 January 1965 (aged 33) 28 England Tottenham Hotspur
5 DF Colin Hendry (Captain) 7 December 1965 (aged 32) 32 England Blackburn Rovers
6 DF Tosh McKinlay 3 December 1964 (aged 33) 19 Scotland Celtic
7 FW Kevin Gallacher 23 November 1966 (aged 31) 36 England Blackburn Rovers
8 MF Craig Burley 24 September 1971 (aged 26) 25 Scotland Celtic
9 FW Gordon Durie 6 December 1965 (aged 32) 40 Scotland Rangers
10 MF Darren Jackson 25 July 1966 (aged 31) 24 Scotland Celtic
11 MF John Collins 31 January 1968 (aged 30) 49 France AS Monaco
12 GK Neil Sullivan 24 February 1970 (aged 28) 3 England Wimbledon
13 FW Simon Donnelly 1 December 1974 (aged 23) 8 Scotland Celtic
14 MF Paul Lambert 7 August 1969 (aged 28) 12 Scotland Celtic
15 MF Scot Gemmill 2 January 1971 (aged 27) 13 England Nottingham Forest
16 DF David Weir 10 May 1970 (aged 28) 5 Scotland Hearts
17 MF Billy McKinlay 22 April 1969 (aged 29) 25 England Blackburn Rovers
18 DF Matt Elliott 1 November 1969 (aged 28) 3 England Leicester City
19 DF Derek Whyte 31 August 1968 (aged 29) 11 Scotland Aberdeen
20 FW Scott Booth 16 December 1971 (aged 26) 16 Netherlands Utrecht
21 GK Jonathan Gould 18 July 1968 (aged 29) 0 Scotland Celtic
22 DF Christian Dailly 23 October 1973 (aged 24) 10 England Derby County

35 minutes ago, Al B said:

I remember walking along to the wee shop from our cabin that morning to get a paper, and the front page was a massive picture of clouds in a cross against a blue sky that had apparently been sighted the day before, and I was utterly convinced we were going to win the game based purely on that. :lol:

Still in my bedroom at my folks house. 

A few years back, I'm sure it was Craig Burley saying he didn't think he would see Scotland qualify for another tournament in his lifetime. Thought he was just talking shite, but fucking hell. Twenty years. Hasn't half gone quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I remember watching it with my dad. Now my dad couldn't give a f**k about football but he was going mental when Collins scored. Probably the first time I remember him showing any emotion.

Similar to my old man, couldn't give a f**k about the National Side anymore. Think that was the one that really got to him. Then again, he did put his fist through the ceiling when the Argies won that penalty shootout against England. 

I watched it in the pub which was packed. One of my mates was in the toilet when the penalty was awarded and came running out thinking we'd scored, such was the noise. It was even louder when the ball went in. I also remember that Daily Record front page. 

And for the comparison of time since we were last there, my daughter was born the following year and recently got engaged. And still waiting to qualify again!

I was 17 and watched it at home with my brother.  I watched the other games with a big group of mates in my pals house.  It is kind of strange to think that this was just considered normal, Scotland had only missed out three tournaments (Euro 84 and 88 and world Cup 1994) in my lifetime at that point.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I was 17 and watched it at home with my brother.  I watched the other games with a big group of mates in my pals house.  It is kind of strange to think that this was just considered normal, Scotland had only missed out three tournaments (Euro 84 and 88 and world Cup 1994) in my lifetime at that point.

That's the really sad thing about it. Nobody under 25 will remember what it feels like to watch Scotland at a major finals!

I was at Glasgow Uni during the 1998 World Cup. My last exam of the year was on the morning of the Scotland vs Brazil game. Loads of folk turned up to it kitted out in Scotland gear with plans of going straight to the pub once it finished. Last exam + opening game of the World Cup + Scotland playing Brazil in it really added up to it feeling like Christmas morning when you're a kid.

Watched the game in the QM Union - place went berserk when John Collins scored.

Later that night in a drunken conversation with one of my pals we agreed to hitch it to France the next morning. When morning came around I bottled it and told him I'd changed my mind. My pal went anyway. He had an amazing time. I still regret not going for it.

Still - wasn't all bad. For me that World Cup was one of the highlights of the whole University era: - exams finished, decent weather, nothing to do all day but laze about in parks and then go to the pub for the games, getting pished, staying out late, rolling out of bed whenever and doing it all over again. Total easy life and happy times.

I was just to the left of the picture in the opening post. Had arrived in Paris that morning and had spent the morning and afternoon drinking under the Eiffel Tower. Went up to the game early to see the opening ceremony a take in the atmosphere. More beer at the ground then the game them more beer is the pissing rain afterwards. Got back to the hotel at 5 in the morning just in time to pick up the bags and head to the station to get the train to Bordeaux. Rough journey to say the least. Was in France until 2 days after the last game against Morocco and had a riot.

France was the 3rd tournament (90 and 96) I had been to and never for a second thought it would be 20 years and counting to the next one.

Scotland team that day

-----------------Leighton---------------

--Boyd---Hendry---Calderwood---Dailly---

------Burley----Lambert---Collins----------

-------Gallagher---Durie--Jackson--------

Don't really think that Gordon Durie or Darren Jackson were World Cup standard strikers.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I was on holiday with a crowd of my mates at a holiday park in Aviemore, and watched it in the big hall along with literally everyone else staying there, all crammed in. It was utterly mental...never felt an atmosphere like it outside of actually being at a match.

I remember walking along to the wee shop from our cabin that morning to get a paper, and the front page was a massive picture of clouds in a cross against a blue sky that had apparently been sighted the day before, and I was utterly convinced we were going to win the game based purely on that. :lol:

Was that an old Boys Brigade campsite?  I watched Scotland v Holland at Euro 96 in a similar sounding hall in Aviemore at a BB camp. 

45 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was that an old Boys Brigade campsite?  I watched Scotland v Holland at Euro 96 in a similar sounding hall in Aviemore at a BB camp. 

Nah it was a big log-cabin, timeshare-type place around a golf course. The big hall area was where they served breakfast, and then had the evening "entertainment".

I did stay somewhere that sounds like what you describe, when I went on a hiking/climbing trip in primary school...big youth hostel-type place with 2 dorms and a big hall.

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

I did stay somewhere that sounds like what you describe, when I went on a hiking/climbing trip in primary school...big youth hostel-type place with 2 dorms and a big hall.

Yep that sounds like it.  The old hall had a relic of a tv where you could just about get signal enough to see the game.

Was living in Melbourne in 1998, so game was on at daft o‘clock in the morning. 

Had to go to work an hour or two after the game finished, so watched in complete sobriety.

On getting home from work, there was a letter from the next door neighbour complaining about the noise the night before (presumably around the time that Collins scored).

Archived