France 98 Opening Game

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can put up with the ultra cheesy music and Craig Brown deadpan narration, his World Cup diary on YouTube is definitely worth a watch. Here's part 1 of 9.

f**k Scotland vs Brazil in 1998.  I was between wives, had a property wrangle with the first, had just bought a new and lovely wee flat in Wimbledon and was recently told by my soon-to-be 2nd ex wife that she was up the duff and that I had to support her (fair enough).

I watched the game in a pub just down the road from said recently acquired and short-lived flat in Wimbledon Village.  It somehow seemed fitting that we lost to an own goal.

Think I must've been in fifth year at the time, I remember me and a few mates sacked the afternoon at school and headed to Bellahouston Park to watch the game  on the big screens. All fun and games until a mass brawl erupted with the gangs of neds who were there.

I was in primary 6 at the time. Our school was open plan and seem to remember the primary 7s got a world cup themed fun day and we just had normal classes. Think we possibly got away early and I rushed home, only to sit through the opening ceremony featuring grown adults running about dressed as flowers. Fucking atrocious stuff. Then John Collins turned up and winked at the camera and the anticipation was back with a vengeance.

The rest is history. Recall thinking we were much better than Norway when we drew with them so assumed beating Morocco and Brazil beating Norway  would be a formality.

I was in primary fucking three. I can remember where I watched each game, vaguely remember Burley being sent off and being hammered by Morocco.

Depressing. Can’t even imagine what it would be like to experience that as an adult able to go to it.

Just watched the opener in the pub. I think it was the Norway game I was working in a garage at the Partick end of South Street and I was last out. Had a courtesy car and was heading up to my mates in Knightswood. The road was absolutely dead so I was hitting about 80 mile an hour in a Nissan Micra, when just before my turnoff I saw the flash of blue lights in the rear view mirror. Fucking police, saw I drew over and thought of my excuses. 

They just roared by as they must have been heading to see the game too.

14 hours ago, Slacker said:

I remember thinking John Collins was cool as f**k when he winked at the camera during the national anthem. 

That's because he was

14 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Last 30 seconds of this. 

That's the one! Great find. Our school bus sang it all the way home (about 20 minutes). 

Back to the topic of kick off time. I'm confused, as I recall getting home from school and watching the opening ceremony. My pal, who lived at the top end of the village, had time to go home and get changed before coming down to mine as well. Maybe we got out of school early? Although can't see the school doing that.

Anyway, get this thread changed in to a Scotland 98 World Cup thread.

Norway game we should have won, but got a typical Scotland result, a draw where we really needed a win. Despite being the better team in the first half, we couldn't score, and shortly after the second half began we went behind, with Havard Flo scoring a header at the back post. Sickener. We rallied though, and a through ball by Davie Weir allowed Craig Burley to chip the keeper and equalise. This remains the last goal we ever scored at not just a World Cup, but at any major tournament.

Morocco though....can't believe that game is our last ever game at a World Cup. Humiliating stuff.

On 08/06/2018 at 09:10, TheScarf said:

I remember getting home from school just in time for it, think it was my last day of 1st year actually so me and my mates were high as kites anyway and this game added to the excitement.  

I take it you were educated abroad if the 10th of June was the last day of the school year?

Anyway, get this thread changed in to a Scotland 98 World Cup thread.
Norway game we should have won, but got a typical Scotland result, a draw where we really needed a win. Despite being the better team in the first half, we couldn't score, and shortly after the second half began we went behind, with Havard Flo scoring a header at the back post. Sickener. We rallied though, and a through ball by Davie Weir allowed Craig Burley to chip the keeper and equalise. This remains the last goal we ever scored at not just a World Cup, but at any major tournament.
Morocco though....can't believe that game is our last ever game at a World Cup. Humiliating stuff.
I'd like to watch that Morocco game again. Were we just bad on the day or just not up to it?

I remember a sense that we just couldn't complete with a physically strong and technically solid team. We seemed really slow and weak as f**k against them.

A real sickener.

(I was 17 and hoping to get my hole with a new(ish) girlfriend but I ended up annoyed as f**k and broke up with her that night. She wasn't really doing it for me but I thought a night of football success and getting laid could take the relationship to a new level. Not to be.)

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd like to watch that Morocco game again. Were we just bad on the day or just not up to it?

I remember a sense that we just couldn't complete with a physically strong and technically solid team. We seemed really slow and weak as f**k against them.

A real sickener.

(I was 17 and hoping to get my hole with a new(ish) girlfriend but I ended up annoyed as f**k and broke up with her that night. She wasn't really doing it for me but I thought a night of football success and getting laid could take the relationship to a new level. Not to be.)

We were quite pish on the night from what I recall, although I haven't watched it in many, many years so others will be able to describe it better, especially those who were there.

Seems to me that we totally underestimated them and went in poorly prepared, and it seemed like we couldn't cope with their pace and strength up front. Leighton having a nightmare didn't help. He perhaps could have done better for the first, but we was absolutely at fault for the second, a total nightmare which killed us. Burley then getting sent off just confirmed it before a deflected goal gave them a 3rd. 

From what I remember we were nervous and really struggled to build attacks, often losing the ball and looking a bit jaded. It was hugely frustrating to watch.

Your love life woes that night are actually a pretty apt analogy of the game; promised much but ended badly with it all being over.

On 6/8/2018 at 14:48, ICTChris said:

Scotland team that day

-----------------Leighton---------------

--Boyd---Hendry---Calderwood---Dailly---

------Burley----Lambert---Collins----------

-------Gallagher---Durie--Jackson--------

Don't really think that Gordon Durie or Darren Jackson were World Cup standard strikers.

They weren't. We qualified for tournaments in the 1990s by keeping clean sheets and nicking the odd goal. The biggest difference in standard between that team and what we have now is the central defenders. There are some positions where we are stronger now, e.g. that team would have killed for Andy Robertson. 

Archived