France 98 Opening Game

I was in P4 at school and it was just before the Summer holidays. I think it was either a Wednesday or a Thursday, the teachers let everyone watch the opening ceremony build up in the afternoon. I just remember sprinting home from School and my folks were having a party for the game with several neighbours all at the house already. Thought we were going to get a skudding when Brazil scored early then the excitement of the Collins penalty, I hated Tom Boyd for months after the o.g.

The Norway game again, sprinting back from school to catch the game, not sure if it started earlier as I can't remember the Norway goal however I remember Burley's lobbed finish and going crazy.

The Morocco game was a later kick off and from what I remember was just a disaster from start to finish, I don't think Jim Leighton covered himself in glory that night.

If you told me back then that in 20 years time we wouldn't see another major finals I'd have laughed. Back then I assumed Scotland would always be at major finals as we put up a decent showing at Euro 96 a couple of years before (the first football tournament I remember properly).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born in 92 but the first Scotland games I have memory watching were the 2 legs against England in the euro 2000 play off. Good chance France 98 was on in my house but have no recollection at all, so still no memory of Scotland at a major tournament :(

11 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Was in Primary 1 at the time - I remember it must have been towards the end of the school year and my teacher was telling us all about 'poor old Scotland who've got Brazil in the first round'. Years later around the time of the independence referendum I was speaking to an academic researcher type who was researching national identity etc and surprised myself slightly at the realisation that that's the earliest memory I have of 'being Scottish' and being aware of 'Scottishness' as a thing. 

Don't really remember anything about the game itself - think I watched it at my aunties - but pretty sure I felt really sorry for Boyd when the own goal went in.

Obviously thought John Collins was cool as f**k - I remember driving back from a family trip to England that summer and pestering my mum to stop off in Galashiels because the Panini album said that was where he was born and I wanted to see the place :lol:

My favourite part of this is when you went on a pilgrimage to Galashiels (Scottish fitba's "Graceland"). Marvellous.

We were just transitioning into 5th year at the time so everyone was in holiday mode anyway. Dogging the last few periods went entirely unpunished as most of the teachers appeared to be fitba fans (and a few ex-players IIRC).

I blame my dad for the opening goal as he'd bragged that Brazil were "rubbish at corners" just before the smallest man on the field rose highest to score. 

The moment Collins scored was probably my generation's Archie Gemmil moment, obviously without the winning scoreline, but with the similar undercurrent of triumph in the face of futility. I went bonkers at that moment and it felt completely surreal. The winning goal was one of those ones where the term "O.G" implies some culpability, but in truth it just cannoned off Boyd. I like his interview recently where he said that it just hit off him as he was in such shock that Leighton came for a cross.

The whole tournament feels fresh in my mind, but it feels, at the same time, as if it belongs to a separate era. The disappointment, heartbreak and drudgery we've experienced since then have put distance between that time and the present day. We now just treat qualification as the tournament. 

Great thread.
I was in Primary Five at the time, and I am almost certain we were allowed to leave school thirty minutes early on the day of the Brazil game, such was the hype around the opening ceremony and the build up to the game.
I watched the game in my room, with my Dad, who presumably took a half day to come home and watch it with me.  The sickening feeling when they scored so early stays with me to this day, remember being so full of optimism, thinking "We can beat Brazil!"
Remember my Dad going absolutely crazy when the penalty was awarded, probably more so than when Collins actually scored it.
I cannot remember the Norway game at all, I assume I watched it, but can't place it.
Remember the Morocco game, think I patched it when we went two down and went out to play football with my neighbour.
you must be the same age as me then mate (born 87) and my memories are so similar. got put pf school early for the brazil game and bolted home for it. remember watching the norway game at my mates and of memory serves me correct it was a piss poor game. my mates dad yelled 'thats enough boys!' at full time.

the morroco game started with so much optimism but i was out playing football after the second goal as well.

euro 96 was my first major tournament followed by wc 98. both tournaments we went into with so much confidence. both we came so close yet so far!

33 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

you must be the same age as me then mate (born 87) and my memories are so similar. got put pf school early for the brazil game and bolted home for it. remember watching the norway game at my mates and of memory serves me correct it was a piss poor game. my mates dad yelled 'thats enough boys!' at full time.

the morroco game started with so much optimism but i was out playing football after the second goal as well.

euro 96 was my first major tournament followed by wc 98. both tournaments we went into with so much confidence. both we came so close yet so far!

Yeah, I was born in 1988.

I vividly remember Euro 96 as well, would have been eight.  The day of the England v Scotland game (the infamous dentist chair celebration), we were visiting family in Carnoustie.  Remember the day was sweltering, and we got taken to an outdoor pool before the game kicked off!

Just checked. After the second round of fixtures, we would have went through on goal difference even with a draw against Morocco if Brazil had beaten Norway by two clear goals.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I vividly remember Euro 96 as well, would have been eight.  The day of the England v Scotland game (the infamous dentist chair celebration), we were visiting family in Carnoustie.  Remember the day was sweltering, and we got taken to an outdoor pool before the game kicked off!

I was camping / fishing with my Dad and my mate in Kenmore for the Scotland v England game in Euro '96, I was 13. I can mind being in the pub watching it - was my first real experience of how many Scotland fans hated Gary McAllister, despite him being one of our best players.

Had just graduated from uni...skipped the grad ceremony to travel to France. Despite being in the travel club i missed out in the ballot. Watched most of the games on the big screen fanzones but managed to get a ticket for the morocco game off somebody outside the Paris hotel de ville .

Camping at the Bois de Bolgne was wild. It looked like  a refugee camp by the time the Scotland fans left:lol:.

Great laughs with all the other supporters.

Like most fans we stayed in Lyon for the St Etienne game and travelled the short distance on special fan trains.

St etienne on the day of the game was magic. Thousands of scotland fans marching to the game behind an open topped tartan double decker with a pipe band on the top deck.

The game was meh.

After the Morocco game the atmosphere on the fan train  back to Lyon was understably a bit deflated. I remember however about 10 minutes into the journey, a panicked French voice coming over the intercom. And then through the speakers " na na nah...na na nah" and "doh a dear".....for a horrible moment it did seem that some drunken numpties had hijacked the train. Thankfully for us it was the guards and not the drivers compartment they had gotten into.:lol:

After arriving back in Lyon, spent the whole night on the lash and then got lost somewhere in the old town. Dawn was breaking and I smelt the heavenly smell of fresh bread being baked.  I was starving after a day and night on the bevvy and like the bisto kid I followed my nose.

I turned up an alley and saw a bakers and  an auld baker busy making fresh french loafs. In my best pidgin French, I utterred the immortal line "monsieur...du pan". 

However I had completely misjudged the effect the appearance of a bedraggled drunken young Scotsman in a kilt at 5 o'clock in the morning asking him for the bread would have on the auld baker. He looked at me with a look of fear. Held his hands up and said..."monsieur... I ave no money"

Well the horrid realisation dawned on me that he thought I was going to rob him. I was then as shocked as him:o I handed him a handful of francs and quickly departed  with a freshly baked bagette. Got the early TGV train back to Paris where we kicked about for another few days before the flight home.

The world cup was definitely the trip of a lifetime for me. I don't think I could cope wi the 2 weeks of partying, living out a rucksack and sleeping in a tent nowadays tho.:lol: I am genuinely gutted that so many younger supporters have missed out. When we do eventually qualify....my advice to all...is just go!

Great days indeed.

i remember the england game very well and McCoist's goal against switerland but thats about it from scotland.

watched the semi finals and final in england on holiday. there was one of those games that really sticks in my memory!

The first Scotland game I remember watching,  a total bodying of the CIS, after they were the USSR and before all the states broke up to become Russia, Ukraine etc.

I would have been 7. Was taken on a two week camping holiday just outside Paris for the World Cup with the parents and there mates.

I remember being raging with them and my Dad and his pal went off into Paris to watch the Brazil game while I was stuck with my mum who to us to Disney Land.

26 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Were Norway not 2nd in the Fifa rankings at that time?  

No. They were 14th in 1998

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/associations/association=nor/men/index.html

We were 38th!

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/associations/association=sco/men/index.html

45 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

They were definitely 2nd at some point in the late 90s.  Mainly due to loopholes and maximising the system as I recall.

October 1993 seemingly.

56 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

They were definitely 2nd at some point in the late 90s.  Mainly due to loopholes and maximising the system as I recall.

They were up there or thereabouts when they topped a USA 94 qualifying group that contained Netherlands and England, culminating in the famous Graham Taylor turnip controversy.

Round about that time we were being absolutely pumped rotten by Portugal and Switzerland and Italy. Did I not like that.

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 00:31, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

We ran out of steam. Tactics of running around covering every blade of grass are all well and good (I'm sure Gordon Durie spent the entire WC doing meaningless breadths of the pitch) but when you've three games in a matter of days it can't work for the duration.

There was a full week between the Norway and Morocco games.

Archived