FIFA 19

FifeArab

Back playing after a lengthy hiatus due to making my way through Red Dead Redemption. I must say, the changes they have made in the gameplay are absolutely atrocious. The game feels so tippy, tappy with the added bonus of not being able to defend using normal block tackles. It is like a game of pinball, sometimes you get the breaks, often you don't but the really annoying thing is that proper defenders, guys with amazing defensive stats, can't even perform a basic challenge without the ball either seemingly roll right through them or ricochet off them back to the attacking player. 

Maybe it is just me and I have to get used to it but I played quite a few games yesterday (and still won a fair amount) but it is a total lottery as to what will happen in each match. The other frustration is that taking a break means I am up against guys who have mastered all the little new 'OP' moves and tactics but I am still trying to plug away with my system that worked a few months ago. Maybe I need to change.

Anyway, in terms of content this game has been good (if a little over the top with the number of cards available). The gameplay itself though? Absolutely shit.

I'm finding it alright at the moment, but probably because I'm doing alright.  When you're not winning, the cracks show a lot more.  

But my disgusting pack luck is probably helping.  Decided to do the Mid Icon SBC before it ran out in the hope of getting a fresh icon that could fit into my team.  Unfortunately, I got Laudrup as a LW.  Only marginally better than the Gervinho I grinded to get last week I've got at LW, and not as good as Nedved who I've got at LM.  Lucky I packed NIF Ronaldo in one of the two player packs...

It's the one player I've always wanted to pack since he moved to Juventus to fit into the Serie A team I've got, and perhaps a blessing that he's untradeable as I'm not tempted to sell.  I've always been wary of people talking him up, expecting I wouldn't be able to use him properly, but I completely get why people describe him as a cheat code.  He's ridiculous.

Current team below.  I did want to do the upgraded Shearer SBC, but I'm not sure I'll ever need a striker again now.  Would love Cannavaro, but De Rossi is doing quite well for me there.  

image.thumb.png.1bc93a8e7ab2da84ce6a11426f3e6c09.png

image.png.809a9b841bf147bef550a604760959ba.png

image.png.5157a81972ff79adfc030ff25ec60f70.png

I did that mid icon SBC for about 30k with players in my club and got bloody Hierro! Now don’t get me wrong he’s alright and I can use him. But given my mate packed Guillit I’m a tad peeved! Especially since he’s not as good as futures De Ligt who’s a certified machine.

21 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I used all my untradeable players last week doing Blanc so I’m gonna give that Mid Icon a miss. It’s about 400k to do with coins. 

Yeah, if you're coins only, give it the hardest swerve.  Think someone did a look at who you could pack against how much it would cost, and there's a tiny percentage that would be worth it purely by market value.  I was just looking for someone a bit different I could slot into the team, but Laudrup's a bit shit.

10 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, if you're coins only, give it the hardest swerve.  Think someone did a look at who you could pack against how much it would cost, and there's a tiny percentage that would be worth it purely by market value.  I was just looking for someone a bit different I could slot into the team, but Laudrup's a bit shit.

I got Seedorf Puyol and Figo from the baby icon packs. I put Figo in Blanc and Puyol in Butragueno. Seedorf is only an 85 but he’s still really good as a box to box midfielder.

Only Pogba is tradeable in my team atm. 

05B883D5-19C3-4BA8-A63D-CAD57212168B.jpeg

I haven't touched the Mid Icon SBC (I've got enough Icons as it is), so just sold any player I had rated 84-88 for profit. The base icon FUT Swap reward is interesting though, will aim for that.

I spent ages trying to get a balance in my midfield using either Kante & De Bruyne or, Kante & Seedorf. It was ages before I tried Seedorf and De Bruyne as a pair, thinking it would never work without a more defensive player, but they are a joy to play with. It does leave you quite open but they're both so good for passing, control and shooting it just makes the game fun again. PIM Puyol behind them helps obviously.

Screenshot_20190402-131438.png

Screenshot_20190402-131448~2.png

Edited by Jaggy Snake

5 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

These teams like the above 2 ruin the game for everyone else who isn't willing to fire in £200 every year on FIFA points.

This is my wee team after scrapping away playing Rivals almost every week in Divs 3-5, and after getting lucky and packing mid icon Henry. What chance have you got against teams with 7 icons in it ffs? The sooner loot boxes are banned EU-wide, the better for everyone

This has been by far the easiest year to make coins in FIFA. I don't buy FIFA points as I simply don't need to. I spend plenty of time playing the game and far more on the app (trading and BPM). You'd actually still have a decent chance of beating me as I'm in Rivals Div 4 and I'm not particularly good.

Even if loot boxes get banned, don't expect that to stop people having tonnes of icons or a better team than you.

32 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

How much money have you pumped into FIFA points?

Over the entire life of the game, maybe £50ish.  I've said plenty of times that the packs I got from FIFA points were fucking woeful, and every bit of luck I've had has been from SBCs (apart from Pogba once early in the life from a bought pack).  Haven't spent a penny in the past few months because it just isn't worth it.  

Because...

7 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

This has been by far the easiest year to make coins in FIFA. I don't buy FIFA points as I simply don't need to. I spend plenty of time playing the game and far more on the app (trading and BPM). You'd actually still have a decent chance of beating me as I'm in Rivals Div 4 and I'm not particularly good.

Even if loot boxes get banned, don't expect that to stop people having tonnes of icons or a better team than you.

This.  Coins are ridiculously easy to make compared to 18.  On that, I probably spent about the same on FIFA points, yet by the close of the game I was only getting icons because the market dropped like a stone.  I remember being really excited that I scrimped and saved to get Zanetti, and he was worth f**k all compared to most of the icons available.  Content-wise this game has given you opportunity after opportunity to make money, and with fairly little effort.  I packed Prime Maldini from a bog-standard one-off SBC, which got me close to 2million.  Maradona from the pre-order packs a few months ago, that was another million.  And for a couple of months now I've been using BPM, which has probably pretty much paid for 2 of the icons and a number of special cards in their entirety.  

25 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

This is my wee team after scrapping away playing Rivals almost every week in Divs 3-5, and after getting lucky and packing mid icon Henry. What chance have you got against teams with 7 icons in it ffs? The sooner loot boxes are banned EU-wide, the better for everyone

I'd be more inclined to agree with the plucky underdog story if you hadn't spent a fair bit of money on building those untradeables.  Probably at least 1-1.5 million worth in there, particularly with Perisic and Butra.  Some get luckier than others, it's always been the way with FIFA.  

10 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Traders of course are fine. But until EA gets rid of the pay-2-win, everyone that I come across in my shite divisions will be treated with the presumption of being a wee guy that broke  into his dad's wallet.

I used to think the same way, until this year when I tend to give peoples teams the benefit of the doubt. As Forameus pointed out, luck also plays a massive part. I packed Butragueno & Kante really early in this year's game which gave me a big head start.

Whilst I like Rivals, completely scraping Divisons was poor. Without it, the only time you are matched to opponents by squad rating is in singles matches. Hopefully next year they will bring back tournaments that can have different restrictions (including ratings) every week but I'm not really expecting that.

If FIFA points/loot boxes ever do get banned it will be interesting to see how much (or how little) content we continue to get in FUT,

Edited by Jaggy Snake

IMG_1912.jpg

That’s my current team, I have spent absolutely no money on it and my pack luck has been abysmal except for packing Futures Jadon Sancho who netted me 950k. I’ve also only played about 200 games at most this year and the majority of them have been squad battles. Rarely have the time to play online these days.

Just need a decent striker and I’d be happy. Might by Aubameyang since I’ve got the coins.

IMG_1912.thumb.jpg.5b6f72f82793f802bc5110584340e907.jpg

That’s my current team, I have spent absolutely no money on it and my pack luck has been abysmal except for packing Futures Jadon Sancho who netted me 950k. I’ve also only played about 200 games at most this year and the majority of them have been squad battles. Rarely have the time to play online these days.

Just need a decent striker and I’d be happy. Might by Aubameyang since I’ve got the coins.

Should also point out it changes to 3-5-2 in game, since I hate people playing 5 at the back. [emoji23]

13 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Plucky underdog story. :lol: Bit dramatic there mate, I'm shte at the game, and would remain so after loot-box banning. I just want to play against similarly matched teams. Leave the Credit Card FC to play one another. 

If you're wondering, 
Butra - 1.2 million SBC
Bentancur - 330k
Perisic - 350k sbc
Van Dijk - 80k
Gomes - 100k sbc
Lukaku - 25k sbc
Van Dijk - 80k
Chiellini - 50k
Vrsjalko - free
Richarlison - untradeable
Alisson - untradable

around about 2.3 million. and thats after packing 1.1m from 90 Henry.

It was more than a bit tongue in cheek, mate.  Lighten up a bit.

On 18, the Credit Card FC stuff holds more weight, but as already said, 19 makes it so easy to make coins that the gap between those that get lucky or build up their coins and those that buy success is a lot smaller.  Not to mention that it's a complete misnomer that you can buy your way to guaranteed success anyway.  There will be plenty of people who have spent thousands and end up with teams much worse than someone who didn't spend a penny.  It's all down to the luck of the draw.  Buy 1000 lottery tickets and you'll probably still lose, even if you have a better chance than someone who bought one.

Edited by forameus

Just now, Estragon is a fud said:

I've suffered too many last minute 30 yard, over the shoulder, first time 360 no-scope finesse shots from Icons to be light about anything regarding this game.

:lol: Fair enough, you've got me there

I'm late to the party this year, vowed I wasn't even going to bother until I seen it was 25 quid on the store. As for the game, meh, as expected its basically the same game as every year bar a few minor tweaks and updates to squads etc.

Ultimate Team really is pretty unplayable for someone who is starting so long after the game was released. I was papped straight into division 4 and every squad I play is laden with special cards and icons. Based on what I've seen there are more special cards kicking around than ever before, I don't think I've played a squad without one yet and I've played plenty of folk who have a full starting 11 of them. It does put me off a bit when some guy is just running riot with a Pele or Maradonna. I feel like a bit of an old codger saying this but I much preferred it before the over saturation of all these special type cards.

As for the SBCs, they seem harder than before. God knows how anyone can afford to complete any of the icon or full league ones.

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm late to the party this year, vowed I wasn't even going to bother until I seen it was 25 quid on the store. As for the game, meh, as expected its basically the same game as every year bar a few minor tweaks and updates to squads etc.

Ultimate Team really is pretty unplayable for someone who is starting so long after the game was released. I was papped straight into division 4 and every squad I play is laden with special cards and icons. Based on what I've seen there are more special cards kicking around than ever before, I don't think I've played a squad without one yet and I've played plenty of folk who have a full starting 11 of them. It does put me off a bit when some guy is just running riot with a Pele or Maradonna. I feel like a bit of an old codger saying this but I much preferred it before the over saturation of all these special type cards.

As for the SBCs, they seem harder than before. God knows how anyone can afford to complete any of the icon or full league ones.

The amount of special cards is a good thing if you were there from the start, as it's giving a wealth of content to try and distract you from when the game's a bit shit.  But for new players I can imagine it's a massive problem.  Only way to really compete quickly would be to trade your way to a decent coin pile, but that's easier said than done

The amount of special cards is a good thing if you were there from the start, as it's giving a wealth of content to try and distract you from when the game's a bit shit.  But for new players I can imagine it's a massive problem.  Only way to really compete quickly would be to trade your way to a decent coin pile, but that's easier said than done
That also requires a shit load of time that I can't be arsed with.

I'm not so sure I agree re the special cards. Last year I had a ridiculous team full of icons and whatnot and in the end up I got bored really quickly. I don't think the game benefits from numerous 90+ rated players on the park in every game. I appreciate that's a personal preference and most will probably disagree but for me it just sucks the fun out of the actual game a bit.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That also requires a shit load of time that I can't be arsed with.

I'm not so sure I agree re the special cards. Last year I had a ridiculous team full of icons and whatnot and in the end up I got bored really quickly. I don't think the game benefits from numerous 90+ rated players on the park in every game. I appreciate that's a personal preference and most will probably disagree but for me it just sucks the fun out of the actual game a bit.

I'm on the fence.  It does bring a little variety now in that at least you're getting people use different special cards (for the most part), whereas earlier in the game you were coming up against Premier League sides every single game, because they fit into whatever warped view of football EA was presenting.  Premier League teams are still rife, but you're at least getting a bit of variety now.

But I completely get where you're coming from.