Messi & Ronaldo Watch

Oooooft

3 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Pele there is defo an argument for. Have to say maradonna wouldn’t be in my top 3 players of all time. The reasons being -
1. He cheated took ephedrine to reduce body weight to get in condition for 94 World Cup. Once caught for drugs I have a hard time not discounting him altogether.
2. People state he won World Cup single handed. This is a nonsense although he had a massive influence Jorge valdano scored 4 goals burruchaga scored 3 that World Cup. Always think they must be a bit pissed of when people say that
3. People state Napoli were a provincial team. They signed maradonna for a world record fee also signed careca Brazil’s top striker at the time.
4. Scott Nisbet of Rangers went further in the European Cup than maradonna. Maradonna never got past the 3rd round.
5. People tend to base him on the 86 World Cup video highlights. Scored 0 goals 1990 1 goal 94 before being send home.

Would agree however that Maradonna has had the biggest influence on a team winning an international tournament in 86 but not the best of all time.

I’m my opinion top 3 players of all time ronaldo messi and pele.

I agree, in my lifetime of watching world cups, Maradona has had the single most influence on a tournament (in 1986) than any other player I've seen.

I think mars put a lot of the money up for the Maradona to Napoli deal in a big sponsorship.  Napoli have won two Serie A titles in their entire history.. both while Maradona played for them. They also won the UEFA Cup while he was there. A more prestigious tournament then than it's seen as now.

Nisbet was alright, but I think Maradona was the better player.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I agree, in my lifetime of watching world cups, Maradona has had the single most influence on a tournament (in 1986) than any other player I've seen.

I think mars put a lot of the money up for the Maradona to Napoli deal in a big sponsorship.  Napoli have won two Serie A titles in their entire history.. both while Maradona played for them. They also won the UEFA Cup while he was there. A more prestigious tournament then than it's seen as now.

Nisbet was alright, but I think Maradona was the better player.

It's difficult to judge whether Messi or Maradona was better due to the way the game has changed over the last 30 years.

Messi is undoubtedly a great player with far more individual and Club honours than Maradona but Maradona played in an era where Clubs couldn't go out and buy a "World 11" due to restrictions on foreign player numbers. Pitches are also a lot better now as are the match balls used these days (modern footballs are far easier to control in the wet (If you don't believe me get hold of an old tango ball and go for a kick about on a rainy day!) and then there's the fact that the tackle from behind wasn't outlawed in Maradona's day.

Maradona carried Argentina and Napoli by the shear force of his personality (as much as his talent). Messi  doesn't have this personality to carry Argentina, hence he looks weighed down by the expectation and pressure. Doesn't stop him from being a great player like some are suggesting.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

unless someone is seriously suggesting ornithological bestiality. 

I heard Messi has a thing for condors, and so naturally Ronaldo decided to go one better and date an albatross.

9 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Genuinely emotional reading this. What a glorious day that was. Down the pub with the #boys, pub full of Ronaldo hating betas. The glee they were showing when he got that injury slowly being replaced by trepidation as they saw him rise up and become the GMOAT, to the sheer horror when they realised he’d managed his country to their first ever international trophy. The upset in their eyes gave me a full on boner. 

Beautiful. 

This #post is making me want to resurrect the clubDECE thread.  Thank you brother.

Ronaldo is without a shadow of a doubt the best goal scorer that there ever has been, so if that is the only aspect taken into consideration then he would be, the GOAT. But it's not.

In terms of being a complete footballer, Messi comes out on top by far. The myth that Messi has gotten worse since the retirement/ageing of both Xavi and Iniesta is nonsense, the only thing that has changed since then is the fact that he now drops deeper to supply those passes rather than constantly be on the receiving end of them. If you play Messi 9, 10, 8, 11, 7 he would be just as effective in those positions as he is now. You take Ronaldo any deeper than 9, 11 or 7 his output and general effectiveness on the game would decrease.

11 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

If Ronaldo does happen to be gay then the absolute best thing that could possibly happen at this World Cup would be him announcing it by bagging all five in a 5-0 horsing of Russia in the final before, upon the full-time whistle, charging to the Portugal bench, returning with a huge rainbow flag and planting it in the centre circle a-la Souness at Galatasary. 

I reckon he'll eventually come out by scoring an injury time World Cup winner and immediately Carrasco'ing some bloke in the crowd. That would be the most baller move of all time.

4 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Ronaldo is without a shadow of a doubt the best goal scorer that there ever has been, so if that is the only aspect taken into consideration then he would be, the GOAT. But it's not.

In terms of being a complete footballer, Messi comes out on top by far. The myth that Messi has gotten worse since the retirement/ageing of both Xavi and Iniesta is nonsense, the only thing that has changed since then is the fact that he now drops deeper to supply those passes rather than constantly be on the receiving end of them. If you play Messi 9, 10, 8, 11, 7 he would be just as effective in those positions as he is now. You take Ronaldo any deeper than 9, 11 or 7 his output and general effectiveness on the game would decrease.

I think Messi is the better player but it must be said, Ronaldo has him (and arguably anyone in history) beaten for sheer balls. His consistency in the big pressure situations is incredible. Some of the shit he's done in the last few years (CL quarters and semis particularly) is unreal. 

A couple more trophies for CR7/flops for Messi and I could be open to changing my goat opinion. I'd still think Messi was better on his day but being the ultimate winner has to count for something.

8 hours ago, Tynieness said:

We all know what you were implying, you have previous for it.

Incidentally the champ shite is cringeworthy as f**k.

Actually I don't champ.  You're (evidenced here) just too stupid to understand words on a screen so gave me a warning for pointing out to a gay Tory poster his party used to discriminate against gay people.  I can call up the thread if you'd like champ.

8 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

If he's the best goalscorer ever why have other people outscored him?

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

You're an idiot.  There's nothing homophobic about that at all.  I'll let someone else explain it to you.  You're literally a moron.

Welo done, you managed to complete a post without using champ.

You're a homophobe, a fantasist, a liar and a tosser.

Eta, you probably harm animals too.

Actually lol’d [emoji1]

Welo done, you managed to complete a post without using champ.

You never though... [emoji4]

You made a c**t of ‘Well’ too.

Archived