Sweden v South Korea (the big one)

Cerberus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Albertlegend said:

When you see VAR work like that and it's worked reasonably well this tournament you wonder What they were doing with it in the FA cup games 

Diddy teams can't afford the space station, that's why.

The worst part of VAR is the delay between the incident and the team telling the ref to go look again as it lead to Sweden not giving a shit about the Korean break for moaning at the ref. That's all one thing but what if that call never came in for a review and play continued as normal. 

Other than that minor crease which will undoubtedly be ironed out, it's probably the best and most revolutionary rule change of football since the passback rule was introduced in the early 90s.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Delighted to see that go in, simply to shut the commentator up. He's scored 16 penalties in his career :lol: 

Don't expect them to have researched that much! If he isn't playing in the premier league or at least linked with PL team then he is a footballing non entity 

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Definite pen but just me that thought it was a bizarre time to stop as Korea were on the break? 

What would happen if the opposition scored before the ref had been alerted about the pen? 

Good point. I`d have thought they should see out what was a decent break for Korea. 

Presumably if Korea had scored the goal would have been disallowed if VAR confirmed the pen but would have stood if penalty not given??

2 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

When you see VAR work like that and it's worked reasonably well this tournament you wonder What they were doing with it in the FA cup games 

The major difference seems to be competent officials.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The worst part of VAR is the delay between the incident and the team telling the ref to go look again. 

Other than that it's probably the best and most revolutionary rule change of football since the passback rule was introduced in the early 90s.

It's not something that can be implemented at all levels though. I can't see the Scottish top flight having it in even the next 10 years. The financials required of it is the only downside for me. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's not something that can be implemented at all levels though. I can't see the Scottish top flight having it in even the next 10 years. The financials required of it is the only downside for me. 

That's true. Do all levels of Rugby implement it, though? 

I can see out top league having it if, for example, TV companies demand it and pony up for it. 

Agree with the comments about McCoist and Champion, they're decent.  Add a bit of enthusiasm.

Compare and contrast to that studio panel. An abysmal dour showing. Whoever selected them as worth thousands of pounds for a few week jolly at the World Cup needs their head checked.  Or even if it's a jolly to a London studio!  The presenter tries too hard but might become decent when she settles down a bit.

Evra is a waste of space and Larsson is very poor. Mumbling on about Sun having a run down the wing as only being a half chance, not a full chance.. WTF?

Why not pick folk on how good they are talking about football, rather than how famous a player they were?

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good point. I`d have thought they should see out what was a decent break for Korea. 

Presumably if Korea had scored the goal would have been disallowed if VAR confirmed the pen but would have stood if penalty not given??

Most likely.

After the ref stopped S. Korea's attack, it was very unlikely he wouldn't have given the penalty, purely from a shitebag perspective. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

That's true. Do all levels of Rugby implement it, though? 

I can see out top league having it if, for example, TV companies demand it and pony up for it. 

Most top level leagues have it now, but there are still occasional games in the Pro 14 where there is no TV coverage, and, as a result, no video ref.

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I think the passage of play should really be completed. I mean, what if the ref went back, looked at it and decided he was correct? He's then made the call to break up a counter attack and would have to give a drop ball. 

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yep. A Scottish version would likely look to save money by having the VAR centre in an Old Firm boardroom with an "appropriate" person making the important calls.

5 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

They have 3 refs watching multiple angles rather than 1 ref which makes spotting incidents and coming to a quick decision a much easier task.

The 3 video refs are essentially overruling the on field officials rather than just asking them to look again.  The act of going to the monitor is theatrics to make it seem like the ref is still the person in charge.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree with the comments about McCoist and Champion, they're decent.  Add a bit of enthusiasm.

Compare and contrast to that studio panel. An abysmal dour showing. Whoever selected them as worth thousands of pounds for a few week jolly at the World Cup needs their head checked.  Or even if it's a jolly to a London studio!  The presenter tries too hard but might become decent when she settles down a bit.

Evra is a waste of space and Larsson is very poor. Mumbling on about Sun having a run down the wing as only being a half chance, not a full chance.. WTF?

Why not pick folk on how good they are talking about football, rather than how famous a player they were?

From watching Larsson, he seems pretty good at picking up on other points that people have made, but not so good when asked directly himself.

He would probably be more suited to a Linekar-style presenting role, but he is pretty poor as a pundit.

Archived