Colombia v Japan (the hot one)

Cerberus

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Silverton End said:

If it's any consolation I had btts Colombia win :lol:

I had Colombia on one line and Falcao on a goalscoring line. 

Cancelling my holidays :lol: 

53 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Alex Scott is great. 

She is.

Bright, enthusiastic, gives a decent insight rather than the usual cliched pish, looks great and even brings a bit of London street chat so the yoot can feel involved. Japan woz great. Free free draw innit.

I thought either channel introducing female pundits was pandering to the usual political correctness, but have been impressed with both and they have added a lot.  Good insight, and they actually manage to inject a bit of enthusiasm into what they are saying .. it's as if they've been coached in media work.

Compare to Keown, Mark Lawrenson, Patrice Evra and Henrik Larsson. Dull as dishwater the lot of them. Shocking that any of them get the gig at all.

58 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I thought either channel introducing female pundits was pandering to the usual political correctness, but have been impressed with both and they have added a lot.  Good insight, and they actually manage to inject a bit of enthusiasm into what they are saying .. it's as if they've been coached in media work.

Aluko is a qualified lawyer: clearly has a brain, able to present a logical argument, etc. I hope she sticks at it.

Not sure why a situation like that doesn’t qualify for the whole “double jeopardy” thing. Should make the game interesting at least.
Because denying a goal scoring opportunity when not trying to play the ball is still a red.
The new law is an improvement, but still too harsh IMO.

The handball for the penalty was hardly deliberate and a penalty was enough punishment without having to red card the defender on top of it.

If the ball was likely to go in, it counts as denying a goal scoring opportunity. If the referee seems it a penalty, it also has to be a red.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

The handball for the penalty was hardly deliberate and a penalty was enough punishment without having to red card the defender on top of it.

Agree with this, looked a harsh red card. I think in those circumstances unless the player makes a blatant save it should only be a booking at the most.  It's an area of the laws that could be reviewed, because that was the perfect example of a possibly unintentional handball that should be penalised.

Some support for Colombia though! Shaping up to be a very interesting group now that the favourites both lost.

10 hours ago, throbber said:

If the ball is going goalwards and gets stopped by the arm of a defender unintentionally then with VAR now being used it wouldn’t be too far out the question to just award the goal and get on with the game at some time in the future. I take it the defender gets a 3 match ban for this also?

Denying a goal-scoring opportunity is usually a 1 game ban.

I do agree with a red for this though. If a deliberate handball to prevent a certain goal would only be a yellow, we'd see it far more often. Players would just do it because a penalty can at least still be missed.

Archived