Retirement

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

She’ll need to dredge them off the bottom of the canal first.

I sold the boat sadly :( She was gutted about that actually, had to be done though.

20 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Cuba. Singapore. Fife. Low cost of living box ticked. Can’t imagine there’s a lot of all inclusive types.

Singapore is great.  Pint of lager at Raffles Hotel for only £16!

Malaysia is much cheaper.  Decent lunch in Penang for £1.

38 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Singapore is great.  Pint of lager at Raffles Hotel for only £16!

Malaysia is much cheaper.  Decent lunch in Penang for £1.

Much prefer Malaysia to Singapore. Singapore is a sprawling modern city that is pretty much the same as any other modern city. K L, once you get off the beaten track starts to get that bit seedier (in a good way), same with Penang, you have the 'nice' westernised bit but go a bit off piste and you're in Asia instead of a built up area with brown faces. 

Enjoyed both and the 'four floors' is always interesting.

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Much prefer Malaysia to Singapore. Singapore is a sprawling modern city that is pretty much the same as any other modern city. K L, once you get off the beaten track starts to get that bit seedier (in a good way), same with Penang, you have the 'nice' westernised bit but go a bit off piste and you're in Asia instead of a built up area with brown faces. 

You forgot to mention that nobody in Singapore can walk and chew gum at the same time!  :)

You don’t need to go off the beaten track for KL to get seedy. Head down to the beach club where it’s wall to wall packed with hookers, and has the added bonus of a giant shark tank behind the bar.

I loved that place.

057A41A2-F061-453C-80FE-183BBF691FEA-6262-000003E8A7D881E9.jpg

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

You don’t need to go off the beaten track for KL to get seedy. Head down to the beach club where it’s wall to wall packed with hookers, and has the added bonus of a giant shark tank behind the bar.

I loved that place.

Kings Lynn?

Back on topic. We have started looking at areas of Spain to retire to and hoping that the whole Brexit thing doesn’t f**k it up.

Two favourite holiday places are Barcelona and Ibiza but €400,000 for a shoebox is not an attractive proposition.  I’m not sure how working families can afford to stay in these places.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Back on topic. We have started looking at areas of Spain to retire to and hoping that the whole Brexit thing doesn’t f**k it up.

Two favourite holiday places are Barcelona and Ibiza but €400,000 for a shoebox is not an attractive proposition.  I’m not sure how working families can afford to stay in these places.

Again taking it wildly off topic but you don't need to got that far to find daft prices for houses, either to rent or buy. Edinburgh is a good bit closer to home.

20 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I loved that place.

Can't remember the sharks but I think I've been there, was about 10 years ago-ish. Maybe the sharks are more recent addition. 

19 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Again taking it wildly off topic but you don't need to got that far to find daft prices for houses, either to rent or buy. Edinburgh is a good bit closer to home.

I accept that.  

Never been to Valencia but it looks interesting and more affordable.

Nice weather, a short distance back to Scotland and looks refined and laid back.  I can’t think there would be an issue finding bars and restaurants.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I accept that.  

Never been to Valencia but it looks interesting and more affordable.

Nice weather, a short distance back to Scotland and looks refined and laid back.  I can’t think there would be an issue finding bars and restaurants.

Would that not make it a bit hard for you to fit in?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Would that not make it a bit hard for you to fit in?

I can be laid back.  With a bit of luck maybe some of the refinement will rub off.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can be laid back.  With a bit of luck maybe some of the refinement will rub off.

Is that why you're looking for a good pub?

I'm 59 and basically retired now for 3 years due to illness. 

Always worked since I was 16 and thought it would do my head in not working. 

Far from it, I love it. Not enough hours in the day sometimes,  I'm always on the go.

Got 2 pensions to help me plus sponging off the Government. 

I've paid significant amounts of extra money into my pension pot over the last 2/3 years. At the same time I've educated myself a bit about how it's invested and suchlike. It's pretty much the only way of reducing your income tax / NI as a salaried employee - locking it away til you're 57 (or whatever). But, 57 is nae age at all.

At the bare minimum, folk should be putting enough into their pension to maximise employer contributions - otherwise, you are letting your employer underpay you.

On 23/06/2018 at 20:35, sureiknow said:

I'm 59 and basically retired now for 3 years due to illness. 

Always worked since I was 16 and thought it would do my head in not working. 

Far from it, I love it. Not enough hours in the day sometimes,  I'm always on the go.

Got 2 pensions to help me plus sponging off the Government. 

One of the many good things about being retired is getting to have a wee siesta when you fancy it. Sometimes I can manage to squeeze a forenoon AND afternoon siesta in. 

#winning

2 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:
1 hour ago, chomp my root said:
One of the many good things about being retired is getting to have a wee siesta when you fancy it. Sometimes I can manage to squeeze a forenoon AND afternoon siesta in. 
#winning

Lucky, lucky b*****d

Yeah, apologies for the smug winning pish. I know I'm a lucky boy. 

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

#winning

I love my afternoon sleep.

Though mainly caused by the assortment of tablets I take.

Enjoy it none the less.

Plus not setting my alarm for some stupid o' clock like 4-45 am.

Archived