Croatia v Denmark

throbber

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Ok, so any reasons why Scotland can't achieve in the future what Croatia have achieved past and present?

Scotland has a population of around 5.5m, Croatia are around 4.2m

Uruguay pop 3.5m - makes you think.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Whats with the Schmeichel hate? Not sure I have ever heard this before.

For me it was his pathetic attempt to con the ref out of awarding the penalty for the clearest foul you'll ever see.

Any reason the defender wasn't sent off? Did the ref think the other defender might have been close enough to stop the shot going on?

11 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Had the better chances in the game.

I thought they were very disappointing. If they play like that in the next game Russia will pap them out.

They really struggled with the change made at half time. 

Denmark were poor in the final third, tbf.

1 minute ago, nsr said:

For me it was his pathetic attempt to con the ref out of awarding the penalty for the clearest foul you'll ever see.

Any reason the defender wasn't sent off? Did the ref think the other defender might have been close enough to stop the shot going on?

Defender was deemed to have made a genuine effort to win the ball. Part of the rules since the start of 2017/18. I think it's only a red if handball or violent conduct if foul is committed in the penalty area.

Just now, jagfox99 said:

Defender was deemed to have made a genuine effort to win the ball. Part of the rules since the start of 2017/18. I think it's only a red if handball or violent conduct if foul is committed in the penalty area.

Fair enough. Must have missed that. That was never a genuine effort to win the ball though.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Was never a genuine attempt to tackle, knew exactly what he was doing.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Denmark played about as well as they can, Croatia were really disappointing. At least this way round there's a chance we see something better in the next round---Croatia might put in a performance, Denmark couldn't. 

Not sure about Denmark, Eriksen was absolutely shite in terms of forward play and if playing better going forward could have improved their chances.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Uruguay pop 3.5m - makes you think.

Makes me think about all the countries with bigger populations than Scotland that didn’t qualify either.

Maybe have fewer older people though, maybe why they’re also independent.

Interesting point. I expect a horrifically bloody war and 'ethnic cleansing' may have more to do with their independence. However, that would account for 'fewer older people' right enough.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

He almost got the ball before contact was made. The decision was spot on by the ref in terms of the rules of the game.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Even with all the technology it will still come down to human judgement.  I guess if the officials in charge of the VAR system had concerns over the card colour would they not ask the ref to have an official review, given red card decisions are one of the criteria for VAR involvement.  I guess they felt the challenge was a genuine attempt to win the ball.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Well he’s not going to clap the ref and say it’s a good decision is he fs?

He could keep his mouth shut like the ref asked him to. There was zero intent to get the ball.

1 minute ago, CaspianChris said:

Even with all the technology that it will still come down to human judgement.  I guess if the officials in charge of the VAR system had concerns over the card colour would they not ask the ref to have an official review, given red card devious are one of the criteria for VAR involvement.  I guess they felt the challenge was a genuine attempt to win the ball.

You can see why the ref doesn't send him off but let's face it every single person who has ever watched football knows fine well that the defender is never, ever, going to let that attacker stay on his feet there. Irrelevant now anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

You can see why the ref doesn't send him off but let's face it every single person who has ever watched football knows fine well that the defender is never, ever, going to let that attacker stay on his feet there. Irrelevant now anyway. 

I have to admit my first reaction to that challenge was that it was going to be a red card, the ref however deciding otherwise.  I think even when I have watched a game with friends there has only been rare occasions that we have ever been in total agreement over various incidents like that.

37 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Ok, so any reasons why Scotland can't achieve in the future what Croatia have achieved past and present?

I'll give you three:

1. Scottish

2. Football

3. Association

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

We clearly dont have the same quality of football player as Croatia do.

I dont think this is an argument people like but we have a crap diet compared with many nations and our weather is not ideal for getting people out and playing football. These effects stack up over a large population of people and Croatia end up with better players.  I realise there are loads of other factors but too many people are placing all the blame on the SFA's shoulders, which I think is a little unfair. They have made some clear mistakes and are certainly part of the problem. But with the quality of players available to us just now we probably perform as expected. To catch up with a team like Croatia would take a lot of innovation, money and time. 

Archived