Kieran Tierney

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

^^^been on the Google.

How else are you meant to find out players height? 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, woof! said:

Willie was almost world class in his day. If he was 6ft 2in and half a yard quicker, he would certainly have been. For lesser players, the physical/athletic aspects are greatly magnified. You’d need to be unbelievable defensively to be a centre half in the EPL and be under 6 ft 2in.

This guy gets it.  People like Willie miller played in ancient times.  The games totally different now.  

I'd be surprised if there is a single CB in the EPL right now under 6 ft.

Kyle Walker - 5ft 10in
Nicolás Otamendi - 5ft 10in
César Azpilicueta - 5ft 10in
Nacho Monreal - 5ft 10in

That's just checking 3 teams, there's bound to be more but the most consistent height appears to be 6ft bang on, and absolutely nobody at 5ft 11in, perhaps there's plenty wearing their boots when being measured!!!

1 minute ago, King Kebab said:

Kyle Walker - 5ft 10in
Nacho Monreal - 5ft 10in

That's just checking 3 teams, there's bound to be more but the most consistent height appears to be 6ft bang on, and absolutely nobody at 5ft 11in, perhaps there's plenty wearing their boots when being measured!!!

Only one of those is a CB champ, and doesn't get a game.  Not wearing their boots you have to be tall to play CB it's just a fact. 

How are you gonna mark Lukaku if you're 5-9?  Your team has lost the game straight away, he'll just play right on you and they'll hit him all the time and you'll win nothing.  It's just not possible.  You can't play CB at the top level now if you're not tall, you just can't.

Kyle Walker - 5ft 10in
Nacho Monreal - 5ft 10in

Montreal azpilicueta and Walker aren’t centre halfs

Only one of those is a CB champ, and doesn't get a game.  Not wearing their boots you have to be tall to play CB it's just a fact.  How are you gonna mark Lukaku if you're 5-9?  Your team has lost the game straight away, he'll just play right on you and they'll hit him all the time and you'll win nothing.  It's just not possible.  You can't play CB at the top level now if you're not tall, you just can't.

If you’d watched the Sky Sports special last year when Jamie Carragher spent some time interviewing and doing some training drills with Lukaku, Carragher asked him who his toughest opponent was. Lukaku explained that he preferred playing against big physical centre halves and the player who he singled out for being toughest to play against was Laurent Koscielny as he was smaller, quicker, read the game well and was fast to shut down Lukaku.

Fucking hell. Everybody knows this! [emoji1]

Yes, they’re naturally full backs, but they’ve all adapted to being playing in a more central defensive role, and mostly proved to be competent/effective there.

Who does Montreal play for?

I'd be surprised if there is a single CB in the EPL right now under 6 ft.

Only one of those is a CB champ...

There you go then!!! 

You're welcome, Champ!!!           

"Ignacio "Nacho" Monreal Eraso (Spanish pronunciation: [iɣˈnaθjo ˈnatʃo monreˈal eˈɾaso]; born 26 February 1986) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as both a left back and a central defender for English club Arsenal and the Spain national team."    

"César Azpilicueta Tanco (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈθesaɾ aθpiliˈkweta ˈtaŋko]; born 28 August 1989) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Chelsea and the Spain national team primarily as a full back but also as a central defender."

"Kyle Andrew Walker (born 28 May 1990) is an English professional footballer who plays as a right back for Premier League club Manchester City and the English national team. In 2018 kyle Walker took England to the SemiFinal of the FIFA World Cup in Russia whilst playing in the position of Centre-half, I know it was a fucking shock to me to, but what can you do, take it up with Southgate."

"Ignacio "Nacho" Monreal Eraso (Spanish pronunciation: [iɣˈnaθjo ˈnatʃo monreˈal eˈɾaso]; born 26 February 1986) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as both a left back and a central defender for English club Arsenal and the Spain national team."   
"César Azpilicueta Tanco (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈθesaɾ aθpiliˈkweta ˈtaŋko]; born 28 August 1989) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Chelsea and the Spain national team primarily as a full back but also as a central defender."
"Kyle Andrew Walker (born 28 May 1990) is an English professional footballer who plays as a right back for Premier League club Manchester City and the English national team. In 2018 kyle Walker took England to the SemiFinal of the FIFA World Cup in Russia whilst playing in the position of Centre-half, I know it was a fucking shock to me to, but what can you do, take it up with Southgate."

Can you name 15 games between the three players where they have played centre back?

Try watching football instead of quoting Wikipedia. Also as centre back I mean a proper centre back in the middle of a back three or the two centre backs in a back 4. Playing left side of back three (as Kyle walker did at World Cup for instance) is totally different to playing left sided centre back in a back 4.

Koscielny is over 6ft and Lukaku sees this as smaller centre half!!!

Can you name 15 games between the three players where they have played centre back?  Try watching football instead of quoting Wikipedia. Also as centre back I mean a proper centre back in the middle of a back three or the two centre backs in a back 4. Playing left side of back three (as Kyle walker did at World Cup for instance) is totally different to playing left sided centre back in a back 4. Koscielny is over 6ft and Lukaku sees this as smaller centre half!!!

No, sorry, only one Wiki Search per self righteous prig per thread sorry, try it yourself, but to help you out Kyle Walker probably had over half of your target figure in the World Cup alone, here to help!!![emoji6] 

And as for the attempted "try watching football" jibe, care to tell me about Kyle Walker's position during the World Cup again???

Oh, and Koscielney (kudos on the correct spelling of an Arsenal defender there) is only 6ft 1in and is the 2nd smallest CH on Arsenals books and IS actually smaller than Lukaku!!!

4 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Can you name 15 games between the three players where they have played centre back?

Try watching football instead of quoting Wikipedia. Also as centre back I mean a proper centre back in the middle of a back three or the two centre backs in a back 4. Playing left side of back three (as Kyle walker did at World Cup for instance) is totally different to playing left sided centre back in a back 4.

Koscielny is over 6ft and Lukaku sees this as smaller centre half!!!

This guy knows what he's talking about.  Try playing Lukaku against Montreal he'd have a field day

9 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Azpilicueta has played centre half for two full seasons, he moved there once Conte changed formation to his 3-5-2.

No doubt the criteria of "can't play centre back" somehow doesn't exist in a back three though, as if the role somehow massively changes. 

10 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Only one of those is a CB champ, and doesn't get a game.  Not wearing their boots you have to be tall to play CB it's just a fact. 

How are you gonna mark Lukaku if you're 5-9?  Your team has lost the game straight away, he'll just play right on you and they'll hit him all the time and you'll win nothing.  It's just not possible.  You can't play CB at the top level now if you're not tall, you just can't.

Are you saying Otamendi doesn't get a game? 

Walker and Azpilicueta are obvious equivalents of what Tierney could offer for Scotland in a back three. The height issue would be more of an issue in a back two. 

The most important aspect of this, though, is whether he is better than the alternatives. He'd certainly be my choice for LCB in a back three. He's probably still the best option at right back in a back four, despite not being very good there, as we have no decent right backs whatsoever. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Are you saying Otamendi doesn't get a game? 

Aye, I'm struggling with that too. He played 46 games for Manchester City last year and won the EPL (137 games over the last 3 seasons). It's almost as if, despite his protestations to the contrary, that Pep doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. I mean it would've taken him literally 3 seconds to google Manchester City defenders height and yet still he's making a fool of himself.

Archived