Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

Enough of this nonsense. People choose to take this stuff. They are responsible for that and the consequences. 
The ones who are junkies are responsible for helping themselves. 
Junkies aren't vulnerable members of society. 
We do everything we can to stop people becoming junkies.
No, we're in this mess because people take drugs.
People are responsible for their own actions. Sometimes those actions have painful consequences. That's tough.
Absolutely we have a shared responsibility to each other. Part of that is treating ourselves and others with respect, which means not being a junkie. 
If it wasn't a choice we'd all be addicts. Or none of us would be.
I haven't seen many posts where it's said that the individual is entirely to blame. I have seen plenty of posts where the intent is to deflect from this.
I think most people understand what addiction is. It's a voluntary thing.
You're not taking your sacking well, are you buddy?

Jeremy-Kyle.jpg

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Drug abuse is not just about people whoring on the streets or blocking out child abuse and deprivation.

It crosses all class and wealth barriers.

Cocaine use amongst the middle and upper classes is through the roof.

You won't find the answer to any of this by looking at things like deprivation and abuse.

Somewhere along the line a personal choice is made to start taking. From there on, addiction kicks in but that first decision is a personal one.

I reckon you'll find your answer to what influences that first decision to take drugs lies with peer pressure more than anything else. People do it because their mates are all doing it and they don't want to be left out. That IMO is your problem area right there. It's the reason why alcohol abuse is off the charts in this country and it explains drugs too.

Is it not through the nose?

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Tibbermore's mum lost 3 years of her life to the heroine and then another 5 years on the methadone that was meant to get her off it

She was bisexual?

16 hours ago, throbber said:

Did Ross. Not say it a couple pages back or have i read it wrong?

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Fairly certain Ross was taking the piss, based on Tibbermore's rambling nonsense.

I thought Throbbers meme response to my post was him continuing with my terrible joke.

36 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not really sure what your point is but at 19, those "kids" (you are absolutely not a kid at 19) you are talking about are probably not capable of rehabilitation.

Seriously, who the hell has more than 90 convictions by the age of 19 and can still find people who believe that they can change?

while a lot of people just carry on in the same old way to adulthood,a lot do eventually grow out of their moronic youthful behaviour

14 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Wouldn't shock me, I did cross paths with one who looked on addicts like pieces of shit.

Surprises me. My dad worked in that area for quite some time and everyone I met who worked alongside him were absolutely nothing like that.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Surprises me. My dad worked in that area for quite some time and everyone I met who worked alongside him were absolutely nothing like that.

Needless to say, I took an instant dislike to the person, people are entitled to their views but I'm not sure they're entitled to those views whilst taking a decent wage from that area.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Needless to say, I took an instant dislike to the person, people are entitled to their views but I'm not sure they're entitled to those views whilst taking a decent wage from that area.

I always got a sense of them mostly being decent people who done their job despite knowing it was a losing battle. Almost all of them felt that the system was wrong and the policies implemented and followed rarely reflected the reality they dealt with, but they done what they could to mitigate that.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I always got a sense of them mostly being decent people who done their job despite knowing it was a losing battle. Almost all of them felt that the system was wrong and the policies implemented and followed rarely reflected the reality they dealt with, but they done what they could to mitigate that.

I can understand any cynical outlook they have. A futile system and the nature of their clients means they spend a lot if time being lied to. It would take it out you.

I'm not really sure what your point is but at 19, those "kids" (you are absolutely not a kid at 19) you are talking about are probably not capable of rehabilitation.
Seriously, who the hell has more than 90 convictions by the age of 19 and can still find people who believe that they can change?

My point was the post i was originally replying to was suggesting 3 convictions/strikes and youre out type thing. I’ve encountered folks who’ve maybe suffered a traumatic event and gone on a mad run for 2/3 months racking up a good number of convictions, then completely settled down and stopped offending.

Approaching 100 convictions in 2 or 3 months? There is no traumatic event which can possibly justify that.
You are making this up. And if you are not my full attention would be to protect those around them.

I didnt say 100 in 2/3 months, i was countering your assertion that 2/3 convictions by mid 20’s should see someone locked up indefinitely. The 100 convictions folks ive discussed all come from areas of high deprivation/in care etc. My point about your 2/3 convictions was that i’ve seen people rack up even more convictions than that in a very short period of time following a traumatic event and then they screw the heid and dont offend again or in anywhere near the frequency.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Approaching 100 convictions in 2 or 3 months? There is no traumatic event which can possibly justify that.

You are making this up. And if you are not my full attention would be to protect those around them.

Why would he make it up (he'll answer for himself I'm sure)? An example might be a kid in mid teens, multiple arrests and charged with several offences committed during each incident, within a chaotic life and it would soon mount up.

As for what might "cause" such behaviour... childhood sexual abuse, most likely. I accept that all victims don't offend but they do often present with other symptoms of psychological disorder.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As for what might "cause" such behaviour... childhood sexual abuse, most likely. 

I'd've said being a feral piece of filth was most likely. But of course there always has to be an excuse. No-one is responsible for their own actions.