England and their celebration scenes

Guest DAVIDB69

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said on the other thread, England has a much higher proportion of dickheads than anyone else in Western Europe - at least. They're only ever a sunny day and a respectable result against an average opponent away from high-grade arseholery. I went to the fkn Eden Project on Saturday because I thought it would be football-free, but even there they had screens in the two cafes and were acting like obnoxious p***ks.

Fk em.

14 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

McFadden in France was the biggest scenes moment for me since France 98

I was still fairly young in 98 but McFadden against France was insane scenes...totally out of the blue!

I am not one to hold any anti-English/anyone but England attitude. I find it all a bit moronic, but it is not hard to see why they are so disliked.

Why wrecking a car and setting off smoke bombs is a natural reaction to celebrating is baffling. In general and socially, they are a very different culture to us. I worry for the moment they are knocked out.

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I was still fairly young in 98 but McFadden against France was insane scenes...totally out of the blue!

Yes, the major difference being that we chose to celebrate as opposed to going out to smash things up and assault people etc. I really don't get them at all.

English chap here.

Yes, the scenes shown on TV (damaging cars/bus stops/IKEA) were absolutely embarrassing and shameful. This is why I always go into these tournaments feeling a bit meh.

One thing is for sure, in the South East of the UK you get all sorts of cultures bonding over England matches whereas (in my experience) in small towns they tend to become some sort of knuckle-dragging ceremony. 

However, I celebrated with all the decorum you'd expect from an English gent. Paying £4.80 for pints of Pravha, eating a massive burger, swearing, and trying to chat up a South American woman who wasn't interested.

We're not all bad...;)

1 hour ago, Girth said:

English chap here.

Yes, the scenes shown on TV (damaging cars/bus stops/IKEA) were absolutely embarrassing and shameful. This is why I always go into these tournaments feeling a bit meh.

One thing is for sure, in the South East of the UK you get all sorts of cultures bonding over England matches whereas (in my experience) in small towns they tend to become some sort of knuckle-dragging ceremony. 

However, I celebratory with all the decorum you'd expect from an English gent. Paying £4.80 for pints of Pravha, eating a massive burger, swearing, and trying to chat up a South American woman who wasn't interested.

We're not all bad...;)

Aye, but look at all the twitter articles generously shared - surely you're all just awful and the scenes of absolute VL fuckwits represent every single one of you?  Right?  RIGHT?!

I don't think we've ever done anything as banter-iffic as take over an IKEA, but the "Tartan Army" is home to plenty of cringeworthy individuals.  Even worse in the current era of Bantz-4-Likez

Brazillian fans  blocking the road and stoning the players' bus when they arrive home. Dickheads in every country.

The Ikea thing - it's childish, but they were all young lads. In most mammal species, young males act like dicks. It's just what happens. At least it was just a couple of pillows that got hurt. The organised hooligans thing seems to be in the past.

The ambulance thing - fucken stupid. Why would you climb on an ambulance car?? Police car maybe.

14 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Most of the videos you see from pubs seem like they are trying way too hard. Since "reaction videos" became a thing people just tend to be much more dickish than they used to be

Been saying this since the start of the tournament. It's now a case of knowing they're getting filmed = chucking their beer in the air.

So the "scenes" do look like they're celebrating harder than anyone else, but this is because it's all pretty much manufactured.

17 hours ago, forameus said:

Aye, but look at all the twitter articles generously shared - surely you're all just awful and the scenes of absolute VL fuckwits represent every single one of you?  Right?  RIGHT?!

I don't think we've ever done anything as banter-iffic as take over an IKEA, but the "Tartan Army" is home to plenty of cringeworthy individuals.  Even worse in the current era of Bantz-4-Likez

Exactly. ALL OF US ARE EVIL!

23 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I am not one to hold any anti-English/anyone but England attitude. I find it all a bit moronic, but it is not hard to see why they are so disliked.

Why wrecking a car and setting off smoke bombs is a natural reaction to celebrating is baffling. In general and socially, they are a very different culture to us. I worry for the moment they are knocked out.

Remember Manchester. Whether they or you like it it or not they were Scottish. Wembley '77 pitch dug up and goalpost destroyed vandalism all over west London. We've twice had fighting on the pitch after our Cup Final. Sun comes out spur of the moment party in Kelvingrove Park or Troon beach ends in riot. Big game live on tele on holiday weekend violence in pubs and the home increases. Don't kid yourself we are a lot more alike than you think. 

British fans in general do scenes better than anywhere else. Even the Russian scenes when they equalised against Croatia were pish. If that was a British team, either national or club, it would have been fucking bedlam in the stands. I love seeing a stand erupt in bodies. True scenes are reserved for goals going in and the final whistle though. Anything else, like trampling an ambulance is arseholery.

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

British fans in general do scenes better than anywhere else. Even the Russian scenes when they equalised against Croatia were pish. If that was a British team, either national or club, it would have been fucking bedlam in the stands. I love seeing a stand erupt in bodies. True scenes are reserved for goals going in and the final whistle though. Anything else, like trampling an ambulance is arseholery.

Aye, "scenes" being broadcast look to me to involve the following categories.

Not really interested, but it's a day out.

Really interested but lacking the wherewithal to actually go.

The saddest sight on earth is the ticketless Rangers or Celtic supporter mooching about town advertising the fact they can't get a ticket and don't even know anybody that can get them one.

I remember years ago watching Ingurland triumph in a World Cup match and the delighted producers showed us quick clips of the celebrations from the streets of London/Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds etc. When they went out I was hoping we'd get to see the celebrations from Glasgow/Cardiff/Dublin/Berlin/Buenos Aires etc but we didn't.

Archived