FA Cup 2018/19

Eednud

They represent a fairly distinct area and don't draw much from beyond it. Gentrification of the surrounding area and oligarch owners of rivals creates a siege mentality. They were mental before that as well to be fair.
Yeah I did get that impression. I wouldn't fancy being an obvious away fan, or West Ham fan but as a visiting Scot I found them okay.
There's a wee memorial garden at the back of the Cold Blow Lane stand and a fair few stopped and were obviously looking at memorials to family or friends.
In contrast there's a far bigger one at Man City's stadium and nobody seemed to bother too much.

5 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Yeah I did get that impression. I wouldn't fancy being an obvious away fan, or West Ham fan but as a visiting Scot I found them okay.
There's a wee memorial garden at the back of the Cold Blow Lane stand and a fair few stopped and were obviously looking at memorials to family or friends.
In contrast there's a far bigger one at Man City's stadium and nobody seemed to bother too much.

I was at The Den a few times, but they're never at home when I'm down now. I'm a Dulwich supporter now. Their supporters would refer you for counselling with a healer rather than kick the shite out you.

They're still at it. The Everton game in 4th round had quite a bit of trouble, and everytime they go to Wembley there are problems. West Ham v Millwall in about 2010 is also the only time I've felt genuinely unsafe at a game.
There's an odd contrast between their scumbag fans and the club, as the club do a power of good in the local community. They do far more outreach stuff than some of the Premier League clubs.
My son was at that game which made me a tad concerned watching on TV.

44 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My experience of Millwall as an away fan was perfectly fine. Didn’t feel unsafe at all, whereas West Ham was dreadful. Middle aged women (who weren’t obviously away fans that I could see) getting torrents of abuse from them, just awful atmosphere.

Christ how many times are we going hear about these 2 visits to Millwall and West Ham. 

I wonder if someone sat down and told the Millwall fans this.....

Millwall has become a byword for, amongst other things, violent mob thuggery, unreconstructed masculinity, dark and impenetrable urban culture and working-class ‘fascism’,” he writes. “The archetypal status of the Millwall fan is a vexed and complex one in which myth and reality have perhaps become so closely intertwined that even some of those most closely involved are unsure as to where the one might end and the other begin.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/16/no-one-likes-us-millwall-wembley-everton-fa-cup

Phil Blanche‏ @philblanche
Shock twist to Swansea FA Cup VAR row & its non-use on Saturday. Liberty Stadium was FIRST ground to trial VAR system for the Premier League in October 2017. Full-scale game between Swansea U23s/Academy and referee was Andre Marriner - same ref v Man City. Couldn't make it up.

Phil Blanche‏ @philblanche 
FA have declined to comment whether it was a mistake not to use VAR in all four quarter-final ties. Thought that the FA believes it was important to remain loyal to their initial commitment to only use VAR at Premier League grounds, even though Swansea were set up to use it.

Utterly ridiculous.

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I wonder if someone sat down and told the Millwall fans this.....

Millwall has become a byword for, amongst other things, violent mob thuggery, unreconstructed masculinity, dark and impenetrable urban culture and working-class ‘fascism’,” he writes. “The archetypal status of the Millwall fan is a vexed and complex one in which myth and reality have perhaps become so closely intertwined that even some of those most closely involved are unsure as to where the one might end and the other begin.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/16/no-one-likes-us-millwall-wembley-everton-fa-cup

Get that into pseuds corner in Private Eye immediately.

• 3 weeks later...