League Cup Group Winners & Runners-up 18/19

Dunning1874

5 minutes ago, forfarton said:
9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:
Yeah this pretty much. HJ's view seems largely at odds with just about everybody else. With one caveat I think the League Cup groups are a proven success so far.
I do fear after 4 or 5 years it may get too "samey". We have been a 2nd seed for all three years so far. With the regionalisation we are bound to draw one of pretty much the same 4 top seeds every year and three of pretty much the same 12 lower seeds every year. So far we have been lucky to get different draws each time but there is bound to be regular draws against the same sides.

Groups are fine but they should get rid of the first seed automatically being at home to the second seed.

This. We've been in it twice, and twice had Falkirk at home. It's not overly bad since they're unlikely to share a league with us anytime soon, but it's a bit tedious. 

From a Montrose point of view the Group stage is good because apart from this season we've had clubs from four different divisions and a couple of years ago all five in our group were from different divisions (Cove were in our group).  It should be OK for top tier clubs as well because it is good pitch time for pre-season but if they don't take it seriously they will come a cropper. If they do take it seriously they could well go all the way. We enjoyed having St Johnstone at Links Park for the first time in yonks and but for the crossbar getting in the way twice in stoppage time we'd have got a draw. However it did get in the way so now hope Saints go all the way on behalf of Group B. Mo only needed to win one of their last two games  or draw both games to qualify so unexpectedly we had a bit of fun anyway.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I do fear after 4 or 5 years it may get too "samey".

That's the danger, but the SPFL can always chuck in some amateur clubs from the Benelux countries to liven things up.

<<< still bitter

Archived