Dunfermline Athletic v Heart of Midlothian - League Cup Second Round, 18/08/2018

Elixir

2 hours ago, GorgieRoad said:

Good goal from Lee and quite similar to the chance Dunfermline had where it hit the post earlier in the match. Dunfermline were unlucky again in the last 5 minutes not to find an equaliser, I'm it sure how much Zlamal knew about the last save.

I thought it was even more similar to the chance Mulraney had not long before.

His only good game in a Hearts jersey will probably be last week against Celtic. Just doesn't look good enough and Morrison should be starting ahead of him.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GorgieRoad said:

Just repeating what others have said now but we were fortunate to come out of that with a win in normal time, or indeed with a win at all. A mix of us being poor but Dunfermline being excellent, they were in our faces from the first whistle and we absolutely hated it, Haring seemed to really struggle with the pressure at the start. 

Dunfermline mopped up all of our attacks that went through Uche, let him take the ball then caught him on his turn. Mulraney was our weakest player and I thought the game changed a bit when Morrison came on, Mulraney panicked every time he got the ball, can't remember ever seeing a winger play the ball back so much.

Good goal from Lee and quite similar to the chance Dunfermline had where it hit the post earlier in the match. Dunfermline were unlucky again in the last 5 minutes not to find an equaliser, I'm it sure how much Zlamal knew about the last save.

Delighted to be through though in a cup we struggle in, absolutely guaranteed to draw Celtic away in the next round as we like to in a league cup quarter final.

Good luck to Dunfermline for the rest of the season, by far a bigger club than a a few teams sitting in the Premiership just now. Play like that and you should walk that league.

Ross County the team to beat with all the cash they're throwing about. A very, very tough Championship this season. 

Much improved from the Ross County game, which is what I was mainly looking for going into yesterday.

Disappointed to be out the cup but absolutely no complaints with the way the team went about it. We gave it a good go and had it not been for a wee bit of misfortune in front of goal, and some fine saves by Hearts' goalie, we could've been looking at a different outcome. It just wasn't to be.

I was very impressed with the high press and intensity of our play, first half especially. We didn't allow Hearts time on the ball and we managed to unsettle them, and I was also pleased that we stood up to them physically. Fais was very unlucky with the one off the post and the one at the end where it came to him from the saved shot was one of those where I don't think he had the time to adjust to stick it away.

Many good performances all over the pitch; Louis Longridge, for me, a deserved MoM and Ryan Williamson and James Craigen were both excellent on the right, the latter particularly in keeping Steven Naismith quiet. The back three did a great job on the big striker, who to me showed he had good skill but we marshalled him well.

With the pressing game I suspected we wouldn't be able to keep it up for the full 90, and that there would be a spell where Hearts would see more of the ball, which came after half-time. I'd have liked to have seen fresh legs on ahead of the goal just to shake it up a bit, but even at that it'd be harsh to start picking faults in the performance. We were more than competitive and gave a good account of ourselves. They took their chance when it came, which is one of those things. Good luck to them in the next round.

Great to see a big crowd inside East End again; kudos to the away support for the numbers they turned up in. Excellent turnout.

I think reverting back to the 3-5-2 was the key, but we just get a rub of the green  on the day to win the match. Against Ross County we had the flat back 4 and it didn't suit our play. 

Can I just reiterate: what a fucking player Jackson Longridge is x

Can I just reiterate: what a fucking player Jackson Longridge is x

What a fucking boi he is.

I don't care if we don't win another game this season so long as I can see him, his brother and faiss playing well every week. Absolute pleasure to watch them.

Archived