Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It won’t be enforced by the NZ courts, but it will be interesting to see if a similar thing happens in the US.

Imagine if apartheid South Africa had tried to pull a stunt like this.

I think it could get very interesting when Israel host the next Eurovision song contest, there will be massive pressure on some countries to boycott.

In the last few years due to BDS there have been several artists pulled out .

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It won’t be enforced by the NZ courts, but it will be interesting to see if a similar thing happens in the US.

Imagine if apartheid South Africa had tried to pull a stunt like this.

The South Africans bombed Joe Slovoes's wife,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_First

fitted up Peter Hain for arrest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/9/newsid_2523000/2523609.stm

Went a bit further than court rulings. 

But any country worth its salt would ignore this court order. 

I do not support cultural or academic boycotts against the citizens of any regime as individual artists and academics can have a huge amount to offer society. That goes for Iran, North Korea, Turkey, China and other countries with dubious human rights records. I have no problem with people following economic boycotts against countries they feel necessary though boycotting Israeli companies and not Turkish for example would be very questionable (both have long running, bloody internal conflicts, both occupy land taken by force)

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

The South Africans bombed Joe Slovoes's wife,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_First

fitted up Peter Hain for arrest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/9/newsid_2523000/2523609.stm

Went a bit further than court rulings. 

But any country worth its salt would ignore this court order. 

I do not support cultural or academic boycotts against the citizens of any regime as individual artists and academics can have a huge amount to offer society. That goes for Iran, North Korea, Turkey, China and other countries with dubious human rights records. I have no problem with people following economic boycotts against countries they feel necessary though boycotting Israeli companies and not Turkish for example would be very questionable (both have long running, bloody internal conflicts, both occupy land taken by force)

At least for once you have responded rather than just red dotting posts on this thread.

Thats progress of a kind I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

At least for once you have responded rather than just red dotting posts on this thread.

Your capacity to engage substantively is obviously limited.

But at least you and the holocaust denier "JDog" aka "The King" are on the same page. 

41 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Your capacity to engage substantively is obviously limited.

But at least you and the holocaust denier "JDog" aka "The King" are on the same page. 

I’m not a holocaust denier.  I am convinced the holocaust happened and am sadly disappointed that a group of people who, and whose ancestors who, experienced such an horrific experience are prepared to inflict such draconian measures on others.  Maybe people don’t learn from history after all.

You, on the other hand, are someone who denies the apartheid nature of Israel.

You probably opposed those who boycotted apartheid South Africa.  Or should I say you were on the same page as them.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought it was just me!...seems to follow me around the site, red dotting me:lol:

On 10/12/2018 at 14:08, MacDuffman said:

No he gives it to Israel and it's a little worrying that you don't understand the difference. Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein are examples of Jewish intellectuals who would probably make similar comments.

No he gives it to Israel and it's a little worrying that you don't understand the difference. Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein are examples of Jewish intellectuals who would probably make similar comments.
[/url]  
Seeing as it's the Jews in Israel that are persecuting and murdering non Jews then I'll stick with calling them Jews.

1 hour ago, MacDuffman said:

Coming from a Christian family I feel personally responsible for the Holocaust, the Iraq War and Trump's abduction and imprisonment of Mexican babies and children. Not really, obviously, but blaming the actions of the Israeli Government on "The Jews" is just as daft.

I don’t think we should pander to the “anti-Zionism = anti-Semitism” brigade, but we should be clear in who we are criticising. 

The problem is though that there are antisemites who do use antizionism as a cloak to hide behind - we have one on this forum who has been binned before and returned under a new alias.

You know my views on this - anti-zionisim is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint to take and has a long proud tradition - it's when some anti-zionists take the friend of my enemy approach to give blanket support to anyone who opposes Israel that I have a real concern about.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The problem is though that there are antisemites who do use antizionism as a cloak to hide behind - we have one on this forum who has been binned before and returned under a new alias.

You know my views on this - anti-zionisim is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint to take and has a long proud tradition - it's when some anti-zionists take the friend of my enemy approach to give blanket support to anyone who opposes Israel that I have a real concern about.

All valid points.  There are those who oppose Israel whose views are as abhorrent as that of the Israeli government.

However whilst the MSM together with vocal pro Zionist politicians in the U.K. are only too willing to decry these people there is not the same scrutiny of the actions of the Israeli government and the IDF.

Criticism of the apartheid regime in South Africa and actions against them grew over a period of time until that regime became unsustainable.  There is no sign of this with the oppressive Zionist regime in Israel; quite the opposite sadly.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Israel doesn't give a f**k anymore, bragging about their longer life expectancy versus Palestinians.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Report-By-2040-Israelis-lifespan-will-soar-Palestinians-to-drop-most-569733

Anymore?

In other news, Israel looking to jail anyone who boycotts them!

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/.premium-israeli-ministers-to-talk-bill-calling-to-imprison-bds-activists-for-up-to-7-years-1.6572953?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Jdog

39 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:
2 hours ago, coprolite said:
He is not "giving it to the Jews".
He is criticising Israel.

The people in Israel that make the decisions are Jews.

but not all of the Jews are people in Israel that make the decisions.

it's a basic point, but not a trivial one.