Dentist

Ylf

Just back from a tooth extraction filling and scale and polish. £56 quid[emoji849]. One more visit then all treatments done. I’ve not been to the dentist in years and needed stuff done. Definitely going regular now.

My dentist is great and I've never really been bothered by the dentist despite my parents being pretty scared of going.  My girlfriend cries at the thought of going to the dentist.

Girl in my work (and I assume a lot of other people around the age of 30 who lived near Dalry, Ayrshire) gets free dental care for life as some kind of NHS compensation because apparently a guy set up a practise in the early 90s that was NHS registered, or whatever the correct term is, and it turned out that the guy had absolutely zero qualifications.  Think the practise ran for a good few years before it was noticed.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone on here had sedation for dental work? I mean the kind where you're semi-conscious during the procedure, and will apparently have little memory of it afterwards.

I've been offered it for a wisdom tooth extraction I'm needing done - I'm quite a fearty when it comes to these things. Any good/bad experiences?

7 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Has anyone on here had sedation for dental work? I mean the kind where you're semi-conscious during the procedure, and will apparently have little memory of it afterwards.

I've been offered it for a wisdom tooth extraction I'm needing done - I'm quite a fearty when it comes to these things. Any good/bad experiences?

I had a full general for my wisdom teeth (lower) as they have bigger roots and are very close to the nerve in your lower lip. The procudure was fine but after it I looked like desperate Dan and I had bruises on my face where the folk operating had held my face/ jaw open with obviously quite a lot of force. If you were getting your top wisdom teeth out then you probably dont need a general but I would opt for it just in case

25 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I had a full general for my wisdom teeth (lower) as they have bigger roots and are very close to the nerve in your lower lip. The procudure was fine but after it I looked like desperate Dan and I had bruises on my face where the folk operating had held my face/ jaw open with obviously quite a lot of force. If you were getting your top wisdom teeth out then you probably dont need a general but I would opt for it just in case

Same here. General. Both upper and lower as they were impacting.

Apparently they had to break my jaw during the procedure. Bled for days.

I'd not want to be even remotely conscious if given the choice @Adamski

Cheers for the replies, folks.

I probably should have been clearer: this is an upper wisdom tooth, and as far as I currently know there aren't any particular complications from a dental point of view - it hasn't been xrayed yet though. For 'normal people' (as in people not phased by these things) it should be a straightforward procedure.

The type of sedation they've offered is essentially to combat the fear I've got of having it done. I had another extraction a few months ago, which after swithering about I decided to do sedation-free - just heaps of local anaesthetic. It was a pretty brutal experience and has put the wind up me a fair bit about having to go through it again.

2 hours ago, Adamski said:

Cheers for the replies, folks.

I probably should have been clearer: this is an upper wisdom tooth, and as far as I currently know there aren't any particular complications from a dental point of view - it hasn't been xrayed yet though. For 'normal people' (as in people not phased by these things) it should be a straightforward procedure.

The type of sedation they've offered is essentially to combat the fear I've got of having it done. I had another extraction a few months ago, which after swithering about I decided to do sedation-free - just heaps of local anaesthetic. It was a pretty brutal experience and has put the wind up me a fair bit about having to go through it again.

once its been x-rayed they should be able to tell you on the face of it what the chances of it not just coming out are. I had mine done when I was 20 befroe the routs set in properly which also helped

I've lived in Somerset for 15 years.  I've needed a dentist twice.  The first time 11 years ago I had to phone up the county council hot line to find 

a dentist prepared to do NHS work.  They found one.., a 40 mile round trip.  

The second time, 2 years ago, I managed to finally get off the waiting list for a dentist that did NHS work in my local area.  

That's England for you.

On a more upbeat note....    my sister married a dentist.  Both now  long retired, and affluent,  to a beautiful Scottish island.

Years ago, when he was working, I visited for a few days.  They told me about a chap that had injured his mouth, teeth in a car accident.

He came to my brother in law in a bit of a mess. Bruv just about rebuilt his mouth.

Bloke was really grateful, and brought round a large quantity of the very best fillet steak. He was the local butcher. 

And we... bruv, sister, their kids and me.., sat down to just about the most memorable steak dinner, chips, onion rings... the whole caboodle..

All for free...

Edited by beefybake

Generally had ok experiences with the dentist.

Had braces when I was younger which was fine. The only thing that freaked me out was getting the impressions done where they fill your mouth with this horrible play dough like substance and it feels like it's going down your throat. Gagged a few times getting that. I had to get two baby teeth removed prior to getting the braces which they pulled out without any anesthetic. The teeth were already wobbly so this German guy simply yanked them out one after the other. No pain but a shit lot of blood. No problems though and it didn't scar me.

Several years ago I had horrendous toothache. Went to the dentist who said I had an abscess so had to get root canal. Was told all the horror stories about this procedure but it was a piece of piss. Two appointments, no pain or discomfort. 

Things then took a drastic change....and I don't blame people mocking me for this.

Went for a routine check up. Was told I needed a scale and polish. Dentist (who had done my root canal treatment) offered to do it there and then so I agreed he could just get on with it. I've had this done before and it's been fine. This time though it was horrific. When I was in Primary 4 I banged my mouth off someones head and one of my front teeth was pushed back ever so slightly. Since then whenever I brush my teeth if the bristles touches behind this tooth it invariably starts pissing with blood. Sods law that during this scale and polish the dentist nicked this part of my mouth and I could feel my mouth filling up with blood. Knew I was struggling at this point as my clothes were literally sticking to me, felt sick and dizzy and was clearly white as a sheet. Dentist asked if I was ok, I called him an arsehole which he laughed at then offered me a glucose sweetie which helped. Stood up and about keeled over. Thankfully I never passed out but it was fooking horrible. 

I'm now getting texts saying my next check up is due... :(

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

I've lived in Somerset for 15 years.  I've needed a dentist twice.  The first time 11 years ago I had to phone up the county council hot line to find 

a dentist prepared to do NHS work.  They found one.., a 40 mile round trip.  

The second time, 2 years ago, I managed to finally get off the waiting list for a dentist that did NHS work in my local area.  

That's England for you.

On a more upbeat note....    my sister married a dentist.  Both now  long retired, and affluent,  to a beautiful Scottish island.

Years ago, when he was working, I visited for a few days.  They told me about a chap that had injured his mouth, teeth in a car accident.

He came to my brother in law in a bit of a mess. Bruv just about rebuilt his mouth.

Bloke was really grateful, and brought round a large quantity of the very best fillet steak. He was the local butcher. 

And we... bruv, sister, their kids and me.., sat down to just about the most memorable steak dinner, chips, onion rings... the whole caboodle..

All for free...

giphy.gif

• 1 year later...

Went to the emergency dentist today. Didn't have one here and when a tooth chipped and I looked into it they all said no new patients till October. I thought fair enough it'll be ok till then. Fast forward a month and I've had pretty acute pain the last week so got to the Chalmers Centre for an emergency appointment. 

Right enough, tooth's humped so it was slap an antiseptic cap on it and hope I can get root canal in a month or so, or take the bugger out. I've had some shite experiences with dentists and have really soft teeth so was very much on the "get it over with" side, especially when I was told it would be weird but I shouldn't feel any pain after the anaesthetic went in.

As he started with his pushing part of the tooth shattered and I had a moment of the worst pain I've ever had, turns out I had "hot pulp", meaning they have to do the anaesthetic a different way but I'd already had too much to start again. Antiseptic cap chucked on and they'll phone me on Wednesday to rearrange. Not feeling too excited about that visit

That sounds pretty awful. Hopefully the return leg isn't so bad!

I've been to the dentist twice since they re opened and tbh they have always been class bit weird getting a scale and polish by hand but it did the trick 

13 hours ago, 101 said:

That sounds pretty awful. Hopefully the return leg isn't so bad!

I've been to the dentist twice since they re opened and tbh they have always been class bit weird getting a scale and polish by hand but it did the trick 

Aye I think this is a lesson in "if you're worried about going to the dentist, go regularly so that they catch anything early" instead of just ignoring it and hoping nothing ever goes wrong 

• 2 years later...