Scotland name squad

Disappointed to see Matt Ritchie not being included. With the lack of quality we have, it's really complete lunacy not to be including players starting for top half EPL sides.

Apart from that, it's positive to see guys like Cairney and McDonald who are playing at a high level being included again. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EdiBairn said:

Disappointed to see Matt Ritchie not being included. With the lack of quality we have, it's really completely lunacy not to be including players starting for top half EPL sides.

Apart from that, it's positive to see guys like Cairney and McDonald who are playing at a high level being included again. 

While I'd usually agree, and I'm never one usually for this argument, he never seems arsed at all about representing us.  It's probably just as much down to Newcastle as him personally, but I don't think he offers us enough to warrant us chasing him. 

My only slight disagreement was Kevin McDonald, thought he was awful in the Costa Rica game, I'd have like to have seen Ryan Jack in the squad. Suspect if McArthur was available, he'd have been ahead of McDonald.

Bar that, very happy with the squad. Agree with @forameus about Matt Ritchie, always been half arsed about when he wants to play for us and has probably used up all his excuses now.

Glad Scott McTominay hasn't had his head turned by English advances, unlike what Declan Rice has had after playing for Ireland.

One can only assume that Liam Cooper and Liam Lindsay will never play for Scotland if they can't get a look in for the friendly game, especially when we only seem to have 3 recognised centre halves in the squad.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

One can only assume that Liam Cooper and Liam Lindsay will never play for Scotland if they can't get a look in for the friendly game, especially when we only seem to have 3 recognised centre halves in the squad.

They seem to be playing at a higher level than Souttar. I had no idea about the Leeds player being eligible. Surely he’s better than Mulgrew?

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I am mildly surprised that Hanley didn't make this one. Seems to be playing well for Norwich at the moment, has plenty of international experience and is still a decent age. That squad suggests we'll be playing Hendry and or Souttar in both games. Probably better  to try these guys to be honest, but Hanley would have been decent backup

P.S. glad Naismith isn't there. that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd rather fail by trying new young forwards than persisting with a 30-something who's never really cut the mustard for us and is on the decline.

P.P.S I take it this means Darren Fletcher and James Morrison are pretty much done for Scotland?

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

They seem to be playing at a higher level than Souttar. I had no idea about the Leeds player being eligible. Surely he’s better than Mulgrew?

He's been in the squad before. Scotland managers seem to have a blind spot over him though. It's quite bizarre as he's played over 100 times for Leeds and is their captain. He's vastly  more experienced than McKenna and Hendry yet has not made a single appearance for Scotland, even a few minutes in a friendly.

He could very well be shit, but he could be decent. Without giving him a shot we'll never know. This sort of shit is maddening. It's like Scotland managers are deliberately handicapping themselves. McKenna and Hendry were fast tracked in to the squad, which is fine, yet McKenna only played a single season in the Premiership whilst Liam Cooper is on his 9th season in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If we are counting Tierney then there is only one left back as Barry Russel isn’t included.

Our Barry isn't even a guaranteed starter at East Kilbride right now...so no way should he be in the Scotland squad.

50 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Regardless of form over the first month of the season, Ryan Jack is a no more than a bang average footballer. Every centre mid in the squad is a better player than him and therefore he rightfully shouldn't be in the squad.

Bang average is right.  That's a bang average squad, with a less than bang average manager.  Jack's no worse than most of those central midfielders.   But it's like arguing about who the third choice keeper should be.  It doesn't make an iota of difference, and just makes these threads longer than they need to be.

McLeish is not here for the long-haul, I would hope.  But at the same time, it's far better to win friendlies than lose them.  Is Ryan Jack the difference between losing and winning?  Absolutely not.  Central defence and Matt Ritchie are a different matter, perhaps.

He's been in the squad before. Scotland managers seem to have a blind spot over him though. It's quite bizarre as he's played over 100 times for Leeds and is their captain. He's vastly  more experienced than McKenna and Hendry yet has not made a single appearance for Scotland, even a few minutes in a friendly.
He could very well be shit, but he could be decent. Without giving him a shot we'll never know. This sort of shit is maddening. It's like Scotland managers are deliberately handicapping themselves. McKenna and Hendry were fast tracked in to the squad, which is fine, yet McKenna only played a single season in the Premiership whilst Liam Cooper is on his 9th season in the Championship.

I’ve watched a fair bit of Cooper, I’d say Hanley on current form is a better player.

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Assuming we aren’t playing a 3-5-2 given there are only three centre half’s plus Tierney. If we are counting Tierney then there is only one left back as Barry Russel isn’t included.

Tierney at RB for me then.

Robertson and Shinnie would probably be the two left backs if Tierney is intended for centre back. I don't see Shinnie being considered for midfield.

58 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Regardless of form over the first month of the season, Ryan Jack is a no more than a bang average footballer. Every centre mid in the squad is a better player than him and therefore he rightfully shouldn't be in the squad.

This.  He's basically mince and we have about Forty better midfielders.

Guest DAVIDB69
i think ryan jack deserves to be in there instead of mctominay

Mctominay is there based on who he plays for nothing else

It'll be interesting to see if Hendry's confidence is fucked with Scotland too, or if he'll see it as a form of reprieve. 

I don't envy McLeish having to choose between a potentially nervous wreck and a debutant to play RCB against Belgium.

Guest DAVIDB69

What seems interesting is that MacLeish has moved on pretty quickly from the dads army feel of the squads under strachan

Archived