Scotland name squad

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Albania game isn't about learning things we don't already know - it's about winning to help our chances of qualifying for the Euros. Russell and Phillips will help us to do that.

Hendry played well in his previous appearance against Hungary.  Likewise, Fraser did well at wing-back in that game and is definitely an option if we play a back three. Robertson is our best player by some distance, so the idea of playing him out of position at right back to accommodate lesser players is ridiculous. Don't know much about Cooper, but two different managers have called him up and then decided he's not for them. Barry Douglas isn't the only Scottish player with a good dead ball delivery - we have plenty of such options in the squad.

Well, if the best we can offer is Russell up front and Hendry at CB, then we really are in for a tough time of it.

Don't get me wrong, I always quite liked Russell, however he couldn't get in our team when at his best but now he's playing in a mickey mouse league (similar to English league 1 ?) and appears to be an automatic pick, as for Hendry, does his Celtic form merit his inclusion ? and does anyone seriously believe that he'd be playing if still at Dundee ???

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Absolutely this.  I really question the choice of the Belgium game.  Presumably we weren't proactive enough to get a better choice of opposition, otherwise I just don't know why you would actively choose such a difficult game.  I'd have far rather had a team from the same tier of the Nations League on Friday, then treat this entire international window as though it's truly competitive (as opposed to just half of it).  As it is, the best we can probably hope for is that Belgium go easy on us and just hand out a light beating, which isn't exactly the greatest preparation for probably our most important game in fucking ages on Monday.

Options for friendly opponents in the first game were very limited, with most of the other UEFA teams playing in NL games. We're in the only three team group in the bottom two tiers. All of the top two tiers are three team groups, but that meant that Slovakia, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Portugal (who we're playing in October), Belgium, Holland and Croatia were the only possible European opponents. Austria-Sweden, Slovakia-Denmark, Portugal-Croatia are playing each other in friendlies. Holland (the odd one out) are playing Peru at home.

1 minute ago, JamesM82 said:

Options for friendly opponents in the first game were very limited, with most of the other UEFA teams playing in NL games. We're in the only three team group in the bottom two tiers. All of the top two tiers are three team groups, but that meant that Slovakia, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Portugal (who we're playing in October), Belgium, Holland and Croatia were the only possible European opponents. Austria-Sweden, Slovakia-Denmark, Portugal-Croatia are playing each other in friendlies. Holland (the odd one out) are playing Peru at home.

Durr...hadn't considered that first part actually, my mistake.  And to add to that, I believe UEFA mandate that you have to play a game, so guess our hands were tied.  Really unfortunate we're not playing Albania first now to be honest

38 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

Tom Cairney has pulled out of the squad with an ankle injury. I'd think Jack, McGeough, McLean and Bannan would be the candidates to replace him?

I think Mclean is injured still and Jack and Mcgeough arent really the same type of player. If they try and go like for like Bannan or even Morrison (if fit) would be closer i think.

I think Mclean is injured still and Jack and Mcgeough arent really the same type of player. If they try and go like for like Bannan or even Morrison (if fit) would be closer i think.

Perhaps a chance to take a look at Liam Henderson?

41 minutes ago, troopio said:

Cairney called off again? Guarantee he makes miraculous for the first game after the break......

He's already said he's hopeful he'll be ready for Fulham's game this weekend (before the international break)

40 minutes ago, troopio said:

......aand just as I type that Jack Hendry has done the same lol

Hopefully that means we throw Souttar in from the start in both games and get him going caps and experience wise.

As for calling up a spare, Hanley is best placed I'd say

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Get Hanley to f**k. We all know what he can do. Give new folk a chance.

If Souttar is going to be in the back 3 then I don't think it's the time to throw Cooper or Lyndsay in alongside him (well maybe for the Belgium friendly but even then - eek!).

Hanley isn't perfect but he is a seasoned international and he's still only 26

Think he's going to play three at the back. Tierney and Mulgrew would be certainties and presumably Hendry or Souttar would have been the other. Presumably any centre half coming in would be expected to sit on the bench so could see Lindsay or Cooper for that more than Hanley.

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Think he's going to play three at the back. Tierney and Mulgrew would be certainties and presumably Hendry or Souttar would have been the other. Presumably any centre half coming in would be expected to sit on the bench so could see Lindsay or Cooper for that more than Hanley.

Why? Hanley is hardly too good to sit on our bench.

Archived