Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian - 15th September 2018

Thought it was quite a frustrating game for Motherwell's perspective.  We quite clearly popped our own balloon with the backpass.  At the time it never even crossed my mind that it was a foul on the 'keeper and it is only when you see it slowed down you can see that it probably was, and it only happened because the striker tried to kick the ball that Carson had kicked a nanosecond in front of him.  Absolutely no blame to him for the injury, he had to go for it and although I think it was a foul, I think it all happened so quickly it would have been impossible for Madden to see.  

We struggled to create much and I think a lot of that is down to Morrison and Miller - both had so much (s)pace it just about rendered Tait and Cadden and subsequently Frear useless which forced us to go long and through the middle which Dunne and Souttar just mopped up and at 1-0 up, Hearts and no incentive to take risks, we just didn't have enough about us, one low cross from Campbell was about the sum of our efforts.

Didn't think any of our players had especially bad games but none of them had especially good ones either and if everyone is average, that is what you look like and Hearts really didn't have to break much of a sweat to win in the end.   Think there is maybe a thing here that Carson, Cadden, Campbell and Bigirimana had all been away with internationals and all looked jaded - maybe something our players need to learn about conditioning if travelling.

Finally Madden is infuriating.  I think he'd read we're both physical and was so keen not to let it become out of control he blew his whistle as if he was on commission, so many times he could have played on and didn't.  Didn't really feel it favoured one way or another but just seemed like the game became more and more punctuated because of him.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again at the time and given I was at the other end of the ground I never thought much of the challenge on Carson.

Having seen it back I have seen MFC players sent off for way less. Not that I am suggesting he should have been carded.

Avril likes to be a comedian. He also mentioned they were well deserved winners based on a number of factors one of which was possession. BBC shows Well had 58% possession. 

I am not a huge fan of his after his stint as Scotland Manager. But to be fair he has Hearts going in the right direction. That said he appears to have been given a sizeable budget in order to do so. 18 players signed I suspect means that Hearts will have one of the biggest if not the biggest 1st team squads in the league. The wage bill will probably be only behind the old firm now which as the 3rd best supported team is not out of the ordinary but well ahead of Motherwell etc. 

19 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Avril likes to be a comedian. He also mentioned they were well deserved winners based on a number of factors one of which was possession. BBC shows Well had 58% possession. 

I am not a huge fan of his after his stint as Scotland Manager. But to be fair he has Hearts going in the right direction. That said he appears to have been given a sizeable budget in order to do so. 18 players signed I suspect means that Hearts will have one of the biggest if not the biggest 1st team squads in the league. The wage bill will probably be only behind the old firm now which as the 3rd best supported team is not out of the ordinary but well ahead of Motherwell etc. 

He has signed 18 players and we do have good squad depth but it's not quite that straightforward.  We also shipped out sizeable numbers and some of the 18 are guys who are seen as ones for the future rather than ones who'll contribute immediately to the team.  Mclaughlin, Hamilton, Buaben, Smith, Lafferty, Martin, Sammon, Callachan, Milinkovic, Cowie, Randall and Adao have all left since last season.

Yeah, our squad size and the depth it has now is simply what it should be like at Hearts if managed properly, unlike under Phoodle and Cathro.

I suggest that the lack of depth was at least as much to do with spending money on concrete, steel and glass that could have been spent on employing midfielders

5 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Imagine the thought process of what Carson must have been thinking; that he, or anyone in the living universe could actually win a 50/50 against big Uche.

But seriously, I hope he's ok.

I do believe that had Kipre still been here and been in that 50/50 rather than Carson, then you, me, the stadium and everyone in it would have disappeared in to some sort of vortex.

11 minutes ago, Al B said:

I do believe that had Kipre still been here and been in that 50/50 rather than Carson, then you, me, the stadium and everyone in it would have disappeared in to some sort of vortex.

If you were to tell me that is how we would all meet our makers  at the time when we were in administration, I definitely would have taken it.

19 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

and to think.... those Rangers fans seem to make it to every Hearts away game, while "Hearts fans" like yourself can't even make a single home game.

jose.png

Embarrassing stuff from the cretins in our support. Broken seats and a sectarian song from a bunch of wee scrotes whose voices have barely broken.

Top of the league by 5 points, we should be enjoying the good times, while they last, instead of dealing with a bunch of anti-social neds.

Hope at least that Hearts can identify them and ban them from home games.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I suggest that the lack of depth was at least as much to do with spending money on concrete, steel and glass that could have been spent on employing midfielders

We still had large squads under both managers when that was going on/being planned for, tbf. The problem was how much dross was being recruited.

Just thinking of having shite like Perry Kitchen captaining us and attempting to anchor our midfield is enough to make me break out in a cold sweat. Then you look at a European, headband wearing dreamboat like Peter Haring breaking up play and stroking the ball about. PowttJS.gif

He has signed 18 players and we do have good squad depth but it's not quite that straightforward.  We also shipped out sizeable numbers and some of the 18 are guys who are seen as ones for the future rather than ones who'll contribute immediately to the team.  Mclaughlin, Hamilton, Buaben, Smith, Lafferty, Martin, Sammon, Callachan, Milinkovic, Cowie, Randall and Adao have all left since last season.

18 is an unusually high number of arrivals but it’s not that weird

According to Transfermarkt Motherwell had 16 players arrive during the summer of 2017.

With more players on one and two year deals clubs are generally needing to sign about 10 simply to replace departures even if they’re not trying to carry out an overhaul

Archived