Aberdeen v Motherwell

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

All in all, good to get the first home win of the season. Looking forward to a sh*tfest at Easter Road on Tuesday night.

Did we not beat St Mirren?

ETA: That was the League Cup, but still a home win

Not a classic by any means but I enjoyed myself! Pre marchers in the Bobbin, then onto the match. First win I've seen at Pittodrie since god knows when.

Early goal meant the crowd never really got off their arses. Seemed pretty comfortable, all things considered. Both sides could have had a goal extra, Anderson missing a good chance on his weak foot, and Lewis making a decent save late on. McInnes teams are becoming increasingly conservative, so an early goal is a dream for him. Sit in and soak up the pressure, break when there's literally no one standing in your way. I understood the team selection, pack in as much physicality as possible. Cosgrove, Considine and Ball were all there to match up to Motherwell.

Individually, no one really performed poorly, other than Cosgrove who I think is a bad egg who needs scrambled. Wilson looked shit hot first 30 minutes. Grabbed a goal and played really well. First touch and movement were great, and linked the play really well. Faded badly, but we can put that down to fitness. Looks like he could be a really good signing for us, if he can stay fit.

Cosgrove up top with him was good in theory, apart from the fact that Cosgrove is pish. It's all very well winning the header, but you need to put it somewhere useful. If we could get a slightly better target man in in January, he'd be a good addition.

GMS really lit up the game with his trickery, but tellingly it was McGinn who played the assist for the goal. Promising from both as we need them to do well if we're to create. Shinnie all over the park, snapping into players, and Ball did a decent job of shielding the back four, although in a midfield two, he lacks the ability to really play. Anyone else other than Shinnie next to him, and he'd be found wanting.

Defensively we're as solid as anything. Devlin and McKenna is one hell of a partnership, and they won just about everything today, even against Sammon, and latterly Bowman. Devlin's possibly been our best signing for this season. Logan and Considine back to their best, although they weren't up against much.

All in all it was a satisfactory performance, if not one to write home about. Glad I came up the road for it though, and it gives us a wee bit of momentum going into the two massive games this week. I'll be at both of those too. Fuckin mon eh dons eh

Not a classic by any means but I enjoyed myself! Pre marchers in the Bobbin, then onto the match. First win I've seen at Pittodrie since god knows when.

Early goal meant the crowd never really got off their arses. Seemed pretty comfortable, all things considered. Both sides could have had a goal extra, Anderson missing a good chance on his weak foot, and Lewis making a decent save late on. McInnes teams are becoming increasingly conservative, so an early goal is a dream for him. Sit in and soak up the pressure, break when there's literally no one standing in your way. I understood the team selection, pack in as much physicality as possible. Cosgrove, Considine and Ball were all there to match up to Motherwell.

Individually, no one really performed poorly, other than Cosgrove who I think is a bad egg who needs scrambled. Wilson looked shit hot first 30 minutes. Grabbed a goal and played really well. First touch and movement were great, and linked the play really well. Faded badly, but we can put that down to fitness. Looks like he could be a really good signing for us, if he can stay fit.

Cosgrove up top with him was good in theory, apart from the fact that Cosgrove is pish. It's all very well winning the header, but you need to put it somewhere useful. If we could get a slightly better target man in in January, he'd be a good addition.

GMS really lit up the game with his trickery, but tellingly it was McGinn who played the assist for the goal. Promising from both as we need them to do well if we're to create. Shinnie all over the park, snapping into players, and Ball did a decent job of shielding the back four, although in a midfield two, he lacks the ability to really play. Anyone else other than Shinnie next to him, and he'd be found wanting.

Defensively we're as solid as anything. Devlin and McKenna is one hell of a partnership, and they won just about everything today, even against Sammon, and latterly Bowman. Devlin's possibly been our best signing for this season. Logan and Considine back to their best, although they weren't up against much.

All in all it was a satisfactory performance, if not one to write home about. Glad I came up the road for it though, and it gives us a wee bit of momentum going into the two massive games this week. I'll be at both of those too. Fuckin mon eh dons eh

Really good summation of yesterday. Particularly the bit about the defence. Motherwell looked a big big outfit when they came out and it gave me the fear. Thought we might get a bit bullied. The swirling wind didn’t help and the ref bought a lot of their patter but Devlin was superb. Didn’t put a foot wrong. McKenna great too bit with a couple of wee errors. Sammon going off was a sign of how well the centre backs did. IMO.
What a centre back pairing the Dons have now.

Just need to remove the words “game management” from Deek’s thinking and let the players offa the leash a bit.

Dons have the makings of a good side but you won’t score if you don’t f*****g try to score.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:36, RussellAnderson said:

Wilson looked shit hot first 30 minutes. Grabbed a goal and played really well. First touch and movement were great, and linked the play really well. Faded badly, but we can put that down to fitness. Looks like he could be a really good signing for us, if he can stay fit.

I think he was probably only ever to give us an hour max in this one.

Not sure if the "reducer" from McHugh (I think it was), who went right through the back of him after around half an hour, also served to put him back in his box.

It's Motherwell, that was always coming after a couple of fairly fancy turns.  For that reason, credit to GMS, who was still trying everything (with mixed success) - previously Motherwell's treatment would likely have seen him disappear quick enough.

Think we just needed the three points in any way, shape or form in this one - hoping we can now start to improve our play going forward, particularly as the Devlin/McKenna partnership is now back intact, so overdoing the defensive protection maybe less necessary in some games.   Understand bigging up our team against a side that punched us in the solar plexus a couple of times last season, but we can surely offer more attacking threat over a sustained period than that?

Cosgrove is a strange one.  We need a player like that - and the Hearts game last season, Burnley at home and even the second half in Perth last week, all showed what he can bring.  Saturday though, he just looked out of his depth, and to use the cliche, a poorer version of Stockley (who could actually score a few for us, and continues to do so down in League 2).

Archived