St Johnstone visit Ibrox 23rd September

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Radford said:

Good angle of the opening goal here. No doubt it's well placed but interested to hear thoughts of others on the set-up.

Imo Zander is too far to his right, he isn't mobile enough to get across to cover the left of his goal. The wall is in the right position.

It's a good free kick though.

Always fear a goal with Zander when we get free kicks against us around the box.

Always. 

He obviously wants to see the ball but if the shot is right in the corner (which it is) he's never reaching it from within 20 yards range.

Could the wall be half-a-step to their left, which would allow him to be more central?

Who instructs the wall to jump or not? Keeper or coaching staff? Both McGinn and Tavernier would have hit the wall if it jumped.

I think it's fair to say it's a great free kick but still question our part in it.

He's standing there so he can see the ball. If he stands further to the left he cannot see it which then just makes it harder to save no matter where the shot ends up. 

If he stands further central, it opens up the opportunity for the other corner where there's no wall protecting it and the ball is then moving away from Zander.

I can't see how he's at fault. The defending prior to the foul was absolutely reeking and should be what's being looked at. 

30 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

How anyone can blame Zander is beyond me. Coaching staff will choose who is in the wall, and putting your shortest player on the end made it easy for the ball to go up and down over him

Don't think anyone is blaming Zander, it's not his fault they have a free kick on the edge of the box. The wall and him maybe moving a foot to the left and he had a decent chance of saving it and it'd need to be some shot to beat him at the other side. Lessons to be learned imo.

To be fair that's a perfectly placed free kick.

He's either got a bit lucky, or been incredibly accurate and picked a spot over Drey Wrights head and curled it over and in.

I don't think blame on Zander is the right expression either, as it's not really a mistake, but more looking at what to do differently next time. I agree with Radford and Tam, with the bend good set piece takers can put on the ball these days, the wall could be a yard to the left, or stick an extra player on the end,  and allow Zander to be a step left towards the middle of the goal.

Agree about the build up. Awful sloppy clearance from Liam Craig, then a careless challenge by Tanser I think it was to give away the foul.

But there's a fair few good players in this league at hitting free kicks, so we need to be better at defending them as it's inevitable we'll give some away from time to time.  Celtic tonight have Griffiths, McGregor and several others who are more than capable of doing exactly what McGinn and Tavernier did.

Archived