Airdrieonians vs Dumbarton

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Our away strip has been red and black for the past couple of seasons (a nod to the original colours of Dumbarton Athletic) but we switched to full Stirling Albion this year.

I like Professor McKendrick as a referee and thought he was alright today. He's pretty lenient and doesn't use his cards a lot, which normally makes for a better spectacle than guys like Craig Charleston and Mat Northcroft. Seems like a nice guy as well. To be honest though, since we've came down I've been impressed with the officials in League One far more than those in the Championship.

Thanks for info on away strips. I never knew your original colours were red and black and might well have a look at your long history. I also think he is a good referee and manages the games very well, and it was just a gentle dig as he had no responsibility for how bad we were for long spells.  I agree about the two you mention but I tend to take the view that I only moan about the Ref when we win.  A long season awaits for both of our clubs as we chase Arbroath?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Calm doon ffs :lol: they are ahead but like any team and season - I expect they will go through a bad spell. Pretty much most teams do every year.

Calm doon??Do u see how shite we are?A bad spell is one thing..we are perma- shite and as long as SA is in charge we can only be looking down.Take of your rose tinted specs or lay-off the happy pills.We are haemorraging a serious number of points and as others have said on here, how many times do we take the lead just to throw it away or play the long ball pish.Its so repetitive and predictable it is depressing.A lot riding on this year and im not convinced that if we go on as we are that we will be certain of staying up.And im deadly serious.

Sitting back inviting pressure, and unable to get the ball to stick up the Park was only going to result in airdrie getting something from the game.

Old cliche of a game of two halves is spot on here. Again, playing Thomson ahead of three strikers makes me wonder.

As BBPF mentions, Gallagher not getting a sniff, I said at the time subbing him after his penalty miss would shatter his confidence - just when he was starting to get it. Aitken came out after that match saying he picked up a knock, but did he really......

Time running out for Stevie.

Airdrie just don’t look bothered at the moment, strolling around with players who don’t look like they want the ball or don’t know what to do with it when they get it. Not sure what our style is, the players looked confused by it all at times as well.  

We're in the same boat. All too often there's a lack of visible desire and determination and we often look like a gang of lost men who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing.

If we’d had the start to the season we should’ve done (beating, or at least taking a decent points haul from, Forfar, Brechin and Stenhousemuir) a point today wouldn’t have been a bad result.
Sounds like the same old stuff in the second half. I’ve lost count of how many times we’ve thrown away a lead under Aitken, it really is quite remarkable.
The decision to play long balls really is very questionable, especially when you’ve got guys (that, let’s not forget, Aitken chose to sign) who would really benefit from playing into feet.

This. For me today has just been another set of dropped points, even though we were poor. It's more points we've dropped that puts more pressure on the next couple of games. There's got to come a point where the pressure is too much, we fail and a decision needs to be made...

Both of them. Hopefully time has run out for ours.

I reckon ours will get the next two if not three games. It's not a stance I'm in agreement with but I reckon it's where we are. For a stay of execution it's got to be 6 from 6 in the next two games. And yes, given how awful we are I appreciate how ludicrous a suggestion that is.

1 hour ago, Thommo90 said:

Time running out for Stevie.

I actually suspect he’ll strangely be quite content with a point today. I’m sure if you’d offered him it before the game he’d have taken it.

I’m not sure what combination of results in the next month would see him sacked tbh (even if he lost all of the next three, although that might be pushing it even with our patient and reasonable board). I think the Montrose win and a point today has (rightly or wrongly) bought him quite a bit more time.

Time will tell, but he’s certainly put himself in a corner and created quite a challenge for the next few weeks.

The league is so tight that a couple of wins could have things looking very rosey, whilst a couple of defeats combined with results elsewhere could have us cut adrift at the bottom.

I mentioned this before, but for Championship safety Stevie was quite vocal about targeting ten points a quarter. With two games remaining in the quarter (and the playoffs/title the aim) we’re pretty much on target to hit ten, which isn’t ideal.

If a decision is to be made, and we struggle over the next three games, then I reckon it’ll be made after the Arbroath game. That’s about the same time as we got rid of Adamson and Chapman. I don’t see us punting Stevie unless things look seriously grim though.

8 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Grant Gallagher  abuse - "no applause when he was substituted."  I rest my case.

What?  Not even from Aitken's Army?  :o

7 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

There's got to come a point where the pressure is too much, we fail and a decision needs to be made...

I reckon ours will get the next two if not three games. It's not a stance I'm in agreement with but I reckon it's where we are. For a stay of execution it's got to be 6 from 6 in the next two games. And yes, given how awful we are I appreciate how ludicrous a suggestion that is.

Stop wanting us not to win, some fan you are. :P

11 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Calm doon??Do u see how shite we are?A bad spell is one thing..we are perma- shite and as long as SA is in charge we can only be looking down.Take of your rose tinted specs or lay-off the happy pills.We are haemorraging a serious number of points and as others have said on here, how many times do we take the lead just to throw it away or play the long ball pish.Its so repetitive and predictable it is depressing.A lot riding on this year and im not convinced that if we go on as we are that we will be certain of staying up.And im deadly serious.

:lol: You really do need to chill out. For what it's worth I never once said that we were going through a bad spell or that I am anywhere near happy with our performances or form.

My point was that you can't assume Arbroath will just walk the league because they have a bit of a lead just now.

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

:lol: You really do need to chill out. For what it's worth I never once said that we were going through a bad spell or that I am anywhere near happy with our performances or form.

My point was that you can't assume Arbroath will just walk the league because they have a bit of a lead just now.

And my point is we should be seriously concerned which you obviously are not.

2 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Not only was the result (in the end) bad enough - for both sides, I suspect - but the toilet wasn't working on the train from Balloch. Or on the one from Airdrie. Very uncomfortable journeys.

For other passengers too I suggest. Hope for you and their sakes it was one of those carriages that you could open the windows on.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

This league will always have its twists and turns. Alloa had a similar start to Arbroath 2 seasons ago and had a similar gap to Livi roundabout this time of the season. Still early days. 

Archived