How many football grounds are there in Scotland?

GordonS

Technically they are. Down the years Spartans (coming to mind off the top of my head) have had a few players who have been turning-out for Edinburgh Uni or Heriot-Watt Uni in BUCS... For the most part, however, the squads align directly, i.e. Stirling Uni in LL / EOSL / Amateurs / U20s matching-up with Stirling Uni 1st / 2nds / 3rd / Freshers and then you see the clubs themselves referring to their XIs as such. It's a paperwork distinction and doesn't just apply to registration but also suspensions (e.g. red-cards don't carry-over).

On 25/09/2018 at 16:06, Marten said:

Even though it's an amateur league, most or all teams in the Lewis & Harris Football League (8 in total) play on "proper" football grounds, so you could argue that league should be included. I've been past quite a few when I was on Lewis & Harris in August and they are all decent football grounds to a standard that wouldn't look out of place in the juniors.

On 25/09/2018 at 16:02, GordonS said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Stirling Uni EOS were playing at Ochilview, but it looks like I was mistaken. That's one more ground then, 259, spoiling the symmetry between senior and juniors.

For the purposes of football Berwick has chosen the path of goodness and enlightenment, so they are Jock Tamson's bairns. Maybe one day they'll realise that they should join us more formally. 

If you haven’t got the Groundhopper app by Kepermat from the App Store, you should. I know Marten uses it. The guys do a great job updating leagues every year.

And... shameless plug for football in Lewis & Harris my second home.

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

For the purposes of licensing and SFA membership Glasgow Uni have to play league games and Scottish Cup ties... plus South Challenge Cup ties... at Airdrie. I don't know if they use Garscube for anything at first-team level now, perhaps some amateur cup-ties. You can't register a ground only for the Scottish Cup when it comes to licensing or else everyone would be piling in with a groundshare.

All of the universities can and often do use different pitches in BUCS competition on Wednesdays: e.g. Heriot-Watt have used the indoor stadium at Oriam, and Stirling Uni have used their 'rubber crumb' pitch.

However in a technical sense they're select XIs and not the same clubs. If there were uni students with Linlithgow they could also play for their uni in midweek.

I had a look at the Caledonian League website and it shows all Glasgow Uni's matches at Airdrie, so yes, they're a full-time groundsharer now. I think it's a shame that a club can't have a regular 'big' ground and register two, it would help keep costs down and keep most matches more local for smaller clubs. It's happened at the top level, with Arsenal and Spurs both using Wembley for European games while playing domestic games elsewhere, and I think clubs in places like Luxembourg often take big games to their national stadium. It happens in rugby with Leinster taking big games over the road to the Aviva, while Munster use a couple of grounds to cover their province, taking generally smaller games to Cork. There's absolutely no need for Glasgow Uni to be playing Caley league games in a licensed ground, 20 miles from the west end of Glasgow.

I've seen Stirling Uni play BUCS home games on the rubber crumb at the Gannochy, and in a ground with over 7,000 seats in the same season, so clearly they're fine with flexibility! 

41 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

If you haven’t got the Groundhopper app by Kepermat from the App Store, you should. I know Marten uses it. The guys do a great job updating leagues every year.

And... shameless plug for football in Lewis & Harris my second home.

Ta, I've had a look at the app but I've already got a spreadsheet with a list of the clubs and the grounds I've been to so I didn't bother downloading it. But if it's useful for keeping up to date with the changes in the leagues then I'll maybe to that.

A crofter I follow on Twitter plays for Ness, so I see a wee bit of Lewis & Harris football. It looks like a lot of fun. No need for floodlights for summer football there...

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ta, I've had a look at the app but I've already got a spreadsheet with a list of the clubs and the grounds I've been to so I didn't bother downloading it. But if it's useful for keeping up to date with the changes in the leagues then I'll maybe to that.

A crofter I follow on Twitter plays for Ness, so I see a wee bit of Lewis & Harris football. It looks like a lot of fun. No need for floodlights for summer football there...

I’ve got a spreadsheet too but that app does so much more. I’m off to Prague this weekend and it lets you take an area of the map showing grounds, with photos, and you can filter it to show fixtures on a given day or days. It tells you which leagues you’ve ‘completed’ and what fraction of a league you’ve ‘completed’. That’s apart from the ground photos and links to Twitter and so on. I was at Easter Road on Tuesday and even when I was having a pint in the Artisan it asked if I wanted to check in to the game :lol:. I’ve befriended a few guys so it tells me which game they’re at.

Most of the Lewis & Harris grounds were added by me, plus photos. The two owners Lars Erik and Geir are top guys. Mind you they’ve started charging 49p/month for the pro version. I don’t get any kickback from this btw :lol:

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Right you two. I like a trip to a new ground as much as the next man, but Spreadsheets...

I've been to 180 odd grounds. If I get any more accurate than that or write anything down, I'm handing myself in.

Right :lol:

I’m  an auld c**t, so been to about 240 without really trying. Only did a count about 2 years ago out of curiosity  :whistle

That Gordon’s OFTW though...

20 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Right you two. I like a trip to a new ground as much as the next man, but Spreadsheets...

I've been to 180 odd grounds. If I get any more accurate than that or write anything down, I'm handing myself in.

About 8 years ago I was sitting in a boring meeting and was doodling in the margin of my notebook. I drew a wee map of Scotland and started putting dots where I'd been to football games. I realised I only had 7 to go to complete the 42. It still took me until earlier this year to finish them.

To me a spreadsheet is no different from a notebook or a diary. I use them for Christmas card lists, address books, task lists, reminders about insurance renewals, banking, all sorts of stuff. This season I started keeping a note of matches I've been to. When I'm old and decrepit I think I'll enjoy looking back over it and remembering games I saw and places I went. I regret not starting one 25 years ago. I copied-and-pasted league tables and ticked off those that I'd been to, so I can see which ones I've not been to yet.

I'm now 10 grounds from completing Tier 5, so I'll try and do that, though not at the expense of following my team. Another 15 grounds and I'll have completed the pyramid. I kinda like the thought of that. You're dead a long time and I like the idea of experiencing what I can before it's over.

I've climbed over 100 Munros without ever calling myself a Munro-bagger, because I do loads of other walks too. But the good thing about having a list to work through is that it gets you out when you might otherwise not bother, and it gets you to parts of the country you might otherwise never go. Between hills and football, I've really seen Scotland. A list of Scottish cities and towns with populations over 15,000 passed my desk recently and I realised I'd been to every one of them. I like knowing the country, and usually when I go to a game in a new place I'll have a wander around first. For instance when I completed the 42 at Peterhead I went to the prison museum (very highly recommended), took a walk round the harbour at night, saw the Bullers of Buchan (no idea how this isn't much more famous), drove round by Fraserburgh on the way home and had a good walk at Rattray Head.

I don't think any of this is weird, I think it's pretty normal. Those who slag it off are just trying to look cool.

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Right :lol:

I’m  an auld c**t, so been to about 240 without really trying. Only did a count about 2 years ago out of curiosity  :whistle

That Gordon’s OFTW though...

What does OFTW mean?

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

About 8 years ago I was sitting in a boring meeting and was doodling in the margin of my notebook. I drew a wee map of Scotland and started putting dots where I'd been to football games. I realised I only had 7 to go to complete the 42. It still took me until earlier this year to finish them.

To me a spreadsheet is no different from a notebook or a diary. I use them for Christmas card lists, address books, task lists, reminders about insurance renewals, banking, all sorts of stuff. This season I started keeping a note of matches I've been to. When I'm old and decrepit I think I'll enjoy looking back over it and remembering games I saw and places I went. I regret not starting one 25 years ago. I copied-and-pasted league tables and ticked off those that I'd been to, so I can see which ones I've not been to yet.

I'm now 10 grounds from completing Tier 5, so I'll try and do that, though not at the expense of following my team. Another 15 grounds and I'll have completed the pyramid. I kinda like the thought of that. You're dead a long time and I like the idea of experiencing what I can before it's over.

I've climbed over 100 Munros without ever calling myself a Munro-bagger, because I do loads of other walks too. But the good thing about having a list to work through is that it gets you out when you might otherwise not bother, and it gets you to parts of the country you might otherwise never go. Between hills and football, I've really seen Scotland. A list of Scottish cities and towns with populations over 15,000 passed my desk recently and I realised I'd been to every one of them. I like knowing the country, and usually when I go to a game in a new place I'll have a wander around first. For instance when I completed the 42 at Peterhead I went to the prison museum (very highly recommended), took a walk round the harbour at night, saw the Bullers of Buchan (no idea how this isn't much more famous), drove round by Fraserburgh on the way home and had a good walk at Rattray Head.

I don't think any of this is weird, I think it's pretty normal. Those who slag it off are just trying to look cool.

What does OFTW mean?

TL, DR

31 minutes ago, GordonS said:

What does OFTW mean?

I don't think it's "normal". It's hardly "weird". Eccentric, perhaps. Different, certainly.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

What does OFTW mean?

There’s an old P&B thread called One For The Watching, just assumed you were in on the joke.

As for TL;DR you can google that one. 

Going to own up to being a Munroist. No 695 in fact. However I’ve been up some of my favourite ones 6 or 7 times, same with The Cobbler. Again it’s just down to being an auld c**t though.

10 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think it's "normal". It's hardly "weird". Eccentric, perhaps. Different, certainly.

I really can't stand the social taboos that force people into straightjackets and to only do what they see everyone else doing. It crushes imagination and makes people feel that they're less than others because they have different interests. Sorry for getting serious in a trivial thread but really, labelling things as "not normal" like it could make any difference whatsoever really, really pisses me off. Difference is a good thing. Eccentric??? I'm hardly cutting about with a monocle and cane. Each to their own. Let's not sit in judgement of the completely harmless choices others make.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

There’s an old P&B thread called One For The Watching, just assumed you were in on the joke.

As for TL;DR you can google that one. 

Going to own up to being a Munroist. No 695 in fact. However I’ve been up some of my favourite ones 6 or 7 times, same with The Cobbler. Again it’s just down to being an auld c**t though.

I rarely stray out of the football pages here, I don't go in the SPFL forums much either, and haven't been a regular visitor all that long.

695 is a very low number for a Munroist. I was 14 when you completed. You weren't kidding when you said you were old! ;)

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

I don't think any of this is weird, I think it's pretty normal. 

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're the one who brought up "weird" and "normal", otherwise I wouldn't have commented.

On 29/09/2018 at 02:19, GordonS said:

I really can't stand the social taboos that force people into straightjackets and to only do what they see everyone else doing. It crushes imagination and makes people feel that they're less than others because they have different interests. Sorry for getting serious in a trivial thread but really, labelling things as "not normal" like it could make any difference whatsoever really, really pisses me off. Difference is a good thing. Eccentric??? I'm hardly cutting about with a monocle and cane. Each to their own. Let's not sit in judgement of the completely harmless choices others make.

I rarely stray out of the football pages here, I don't go in the SPFL forums much either, and haven't been a regular visitor all that long.

695 is a very low number for a Munroist. I was 14 when you completed. You weren't kidding when you said you were old! ;)

*compleated

I was only 34 at the time ;)

but I know no 293 Gordon Park very well and I was at his compleation. I’ve also met no 62 Hamish Brown. I see he’s 84 now.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

*compleated

I was only 34 at the time ;)

but I know no 293 Gordon Park very well and I was at his compleation. I’ve also met no 62 Hamish Brown. I see he’s 84 now.

I refuse to do the "compleated" thing.

Hamish Brown is a proper legend, his books are inspirational. Haven't read them in ages, I think I might go for a re-read.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:58, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm handing myself in.

52 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Don’t let us stop you.

PC Cabe would forget to lock the cell door...

Archived