Falkirk vs Dunfermline

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was clear that Houstie had run his course last season. However, the big problem was our choice of replacement. I don’t really blame the board for that as he was most fans choice, but I do think with a better replacement than Hartley, in hindsight, we could have got a lot more out of those players, and others that left, and been near the top this season rather than looking poorer than Shepherd’s Edinburgh City.

I don't buy this hindsight on the BOD's part. The "extensive due diligence" done on Hartley was a phone call to Mulrenny.

We are a fucking shambles and heading for league 1 either automatically or via a play off.

Alloa are currently the natural derby team for Falkirk? Clyde are closer but have rarely played in same division.

Yesterday’s game. As half time was approaching I was thinking it will just be like the thing, having had so much of the game without capitalising, that Falkirk would land us with a sucker punch. Just at that point we scored and really never looked like losing our grip on the game. Expected that Falkirk would have had a rocket at half time but their demeanour when they came out early for the second half just looked like they were already beaten, like they didn’t want to be there.

I cannot comprehend why a manager who got on well, reportedly, with his chairman and had rebuilt a Morton side during the close season, would jump ship right at the close of the transfer window? Did he see something in this group of players he could work with? Did he fancy a tough challenge? Is he a mentalist?

At least the knives for AJ will have been put away for now apart from the odd nut job that expects us to win every game. I think they’ll be unsheathed the next time we suffer a loss though.

Our passing, keep ball, game was impressive yesterday but my criticism would be that there were opportunities to be more direct with a team that was so obviously flailing. The win after playing so well, will have no doubt done the players confidence a world of good.

Also a mention to our fans in the section nearest the main stand who no doubt spurred the team on with singing that never stopped all game. I wondered why they are still singing about Scott McDonald though (even checked my phone to see if Falkirk had signed him and I’d missed it). Nae need.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I don't buy this hindsight on the BOD's part. The "extensive due diligence" done on Hartley was a phone call to Mulrenny.

We are a fucking shambles and heading for league 1 either automatically or via a play off.

Hartley was a good appointment at the time and did a very good job last season. This summer was the shambles. You need to separate the two.

16 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

How many times was Petra actually given the ball today?

Every time he got it he did nowt,zilch ,zero. Nae surprise he didnt get given it very often. Lithuania must have one of thee worst national sides in world fitba if he gets in it.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

All this "you're not important to us" patter is so stale and boring. We have a rivalry, that's good. That's healthy. When wee fannies take it too far, they should be rightly outed as such.

Aye, I don't have nearly the same affection for Falkirk games as I do for Raith games but by and large it's good to have a rivalry, it was a good attendance yesterday with what seemed like a decent atmosphere. 

Singing about dead players and throwing objects at players is bad craic though. 

16 hours ago, MrDust said:

Shouldve been in with the 4 who got freed, his performance today surely has seen his jaiket finally off the shoogly peg. We will hopefully see McGhee dropping back to centre half with Bauben in the centre. 

2nd best all over and got what we deserved, 2nd place

Only because there isnt a 3rd or worse.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Every time he got it he did nowt,zilch ,zero. Nae surprise he didnt get given it very often. Lithuania must have one of thee worst national sides in world fitba if he gets in it.

He is pish but he is trying, and he'd put in a couple of passable performances before this. I think he can be of more use to us than most of the rest of the dung in the squad. Plenty other players I'd have a go at before Petravicius.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

He is pish but he is trying, and he'd put in a couple of passable performances before this. I think he can be of more use to us than most of the rest of the dung in the squad. Plenty other players I'd have a go at before Petravicius.

Since when is trying enough to get you a pro football contract for fecks sake. And if it is when do i start?

Hartley was a good appointment at the time and did a very good job last season. This summer was the shambles. You need to separate the two.

At the time I thought he did do a decent job last January. I now look back and IMO the two massive clear outs we have had were far too drastic. A different approach when Houston went I think would have seen us much stronger. He should have kept a core of players and added to that.

I don’t think you can separate things

Yesterday’s game was like the cup semi of 2009 in reverse. Only one team ever going to win with the other utter dross.

This team as it is would not be near the top of League 1 far less stay up

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Yesterday’s game was like the cup semi of 2009 in reverse. Only one team ever going to win with the other utter dross.

This team as it is would not be near the top of League 1 far less stay up

We beat East Fife in the League Cup in fairness and they're pumping everyone down a league. Don't necessarily disagree over the course of a season.

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Since when is trying enough to get you a pro football contract for fecks sake. And if it is when do i start?

The bar I set was in comparison to the rest of the squad - that's not a very high bar

The score could have been anything they wanted yesterday. Training on Monday/Tuesday will be more strenuous for them than yesterday was. Was surprised it took them so long to score. Never once did we threaten or even look like scoring. Basic passing to each other seems hard work at the moment! Never seen such a useless, disjointed bunch in all my years supporting my team! Can only hope Alloa go into meltdown and we scrape the play off place!!

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

At the time I thought he did do a decent job last January. I now look back and IMO the two massive clear outs we have had were far too drastic. A different approach when Houston went I think would have seen us much stronger. He should have kept a core of players and added to that.

I don’t think you can separate things

Only time I was impressed with Hartley was at the fans meeting, he came across very well and sold his plans to the majority. He obviously did the same talk to our board and although they are clueless, they obviously have as they do left footballing matters to Hartley.

Hartley obviously used the dick/good guy approach to Houston's squad, which Smith got two wins previously by obviously getting all the players on the same hymn sheet and not creating splits and divides which was the way to get the best out of the Houston squad.

I always said Hartley for me will be judged on this season as I always felt he did an Ok job last season, came in saying play offs the target and for me the utd game and first half v QoS (3-2)the only decent performances of his managerial stint. We were still god awful at times post January and anyone giving praise to Hartley really needs to have a look at themselves or the squad he has left us with.

As for yesterday, we huffed and puffed at times but McKinnon got it spot on, lack of quality and effort, when you are pining your hopes into long balls and long throws into the box which we won maybe one out a dozen first balls in and not even close to the second ball, you just knew we wouldn't get out of jail which was somehow a possibility.

Still hopefully we see a couple o players in and Dallison nowhere near the centre of defence again

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Hartley was getting the biggest budget a Falkirk manager has ever been given, is that true?  

I also heard after the January window he had pissed off allot of agents which meant he was struggling to find players.

Just watched the Mckinnon post match interview and unsurprisingly he's frustrated, Morton next and I can't see anything but a win for them after watching that falkirk side.

Archived