East Fife v Brechin City

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barring a 10 minute spell where we got sucked into Brechins physical style I thought we were fantastic. Could and should have been 5 or 6 and the football was excellent. Big shout out to Meggatt and Dunlop who were tremendous all game.

Thought we'd agreed that Brechin are "agricultural" not "physical"???
Anyway, looks awfy like Dods thought he would set out his team with the same hammer-throwing tactics he tried last time the sides met at The Nou Bayview, so very glad to see his tactical ineptitude shown up and thrown back in his face - how is he still in a job???
Next....

Well done to Fife deserved their win in the end another negitive display from us. Really frustrates me that every time a team gets a corner we have every player back in the box defending it so when it comes out there's no one to pick it up and it just comes straight back at us. Noticed Dods just went straight up the tunnel at full time

Another impressive team performance today, really made Brechin look second best for large chunks of the game. Brechins game plan was to keep it tight and try and make the game a physical contest. We were in control of the game for the opening half hour playing a good passing game. just when it looked like we were getting frustrated, and starting to lump it long the break through came from a bad pass back by Mcgeever. Started the 2nd half well then the game opened up a bit and Brechin had their best spell and got on level terms with a penalty. Wasn’t any real complaints from the East Fife players, and the boy tucked it away nicely. Then take a bow Anton Dowds a fantastic individual goal smashing it home from an angle that looked impossible. The hard working Dowds then went on a great run and not for the first time drew a foul out of a Brechin player. Aggie made a good job of the spot kick. After that it was a case of how many as East Fife toyed with Brechin . We hit the woodwork twice and in the end there looked a gulf between the teams.Great how every time the manager changes the strikers they all pop up with important goals. Exciting times for the Fife fans and only wish more than 600 turned up today.Two difficult away games coming up but I’m sure Darren will treat the opposition with respect and  I’m sure Darren won’t allow the guys to get too high and keep their feet on the ground. 

Another impressive team performance today, really made Brechin look second best for large chunks of the game. Brechins game plan was to keep it tight and try and make the game a physical contest. We were in control of the game for the opening half hour playing a good passing game. just when it looked like we were getting frustrated, and starting to lump it long the break through came from a bad pass back by Mcgeever. Started the 2nd half well then the game opened up a bit and Brechin had their best spell and got on level terms with a penalty. Wasn’t any real complaints from the East Fife players, and the boy tucked it away nicely. Then take a bow Anton Dowds a fantastic individual goal smashing it home from an angle that looked impossible. The hard working Dowds then went on a great run and not for the first time drew a foul out of a Brechin player. Aggie made a good job of the spot kick. After that it was a case of how many as East Fife toyed with Brechin . We hit the woodwork twice and in the end there looked a gulf between the teams.Great how every time the manager changes the strikers they all pop up with important goals. Exciting times for the Fife fans and only wish more than 600 turned up today.Two difficult away games coming up but I’m sure Darren will treat the opposition with respect and  I’m sure Darren won’t allow the guys to get too high and keep their feet on the ground. 

Anton Dowds is a real find and i think rotating the strikers is helpjng him at the moment giving him a break and keeping him fresh long may it continue

Great performance today. Brechin are an absolutely brutal football team but they are tough to play against. First half we could easily have been 3 or 4 up and cruising. No idea what the penalty was for but when they scored you felt like it could be one of those days where you live to regret missed chances. Not to be though and we responded perfectly. What a goal from Anton Dowds. I just assumed it hit the side netting cos he'd never be able to score from there. Absolute cracker.

Very pleasing to send Dodds and his bunch of thugs packing today. Not interested in playing the game at all. Only interested in killing the game and committing sneaky little fouls all over the park. They got what they deserved today.

image.png.6d81191a28d6d663d196dc62f9ee1cad.png

47 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Great performance today. Brechin are an absolutely brutal football team but they are tough to play against. First half we could easily have been 3 or 4 up and cruising. No idea what the penalty was for but when they scored you felt like it could be one of those days where you live to regret missed chances. Not to be though and we responded perfectly. What a goal from Anton Dowds. I just assumed it hit the side netting cos he'd never be able to score from there. Absolute cracker.

Very pleasing to send Dodds and his bunch of thugs packing today. Not interested in playing the game at all. Only interested in killing the game and committing sneaky little fouls all over the park. They got what they deserved today.

image.png.6d81191a28d6d663d196dc62f9ee1cad.png

I really can’t swallow any more of this sanctimonious  shit. Yes East Fife were by far the better team but this “brutal” crap is rediculous. How many times did the ref bottle it by not booking an E F player for niggling trips after the City player was past them?   More than a few. Also again the plasric pitch gave the home team a distinct advantage. It really is time they were done away with. Not sour grapes - again I would admit E F were streets ahead but hone fans take off the riose tinted specs! What an announcer! No smoking pipes, cigarettes, vapes or weed in the ground!!c

6 minutes ago, OldRed said:

I really can’t swallow any more of this sanctimonious  shit. Yes East Fife were by far the better team but this “brutal” crap is rediculous. How many times did the ref bottle it by not booking an E F player for niggling trips after the City player was past them?   More than a few. Also again the plasric pitch gave the home team a distinct advantage. It really is time they were done away with. Not sour grapes - again I would admit E F were streets ahead but hone fans take off the riose tinted specs! What an announcer! No smoking pipes, cigarettes, vapes or weed in the ground!!c

To be fair, even Brechin supporters are saying your team are brutal, "eye-bleeding" I think is the term being thrown about. I haven't made similar comments about any other team we've played this season. Maybe it's all just an anti-Brechin conspiracy?

The plastic pitch comment is unhinged. Almost half the pitches in this league are plastic. The Glebe Park pitch looks like a ploughed tattie field that's just hosted a monster derby for half the season. There's no way that state is better for playing football on than the pitch at Bayview.

Ach I thought Brechin were okay. As far as the physical stuff was concerned, they seemed to target Liam Watt for a bit of extra attention, but nothing over the top. I was concerned about two things before this game - how to get the better of Brechin's central defence and how to subdue Andy Jackson. I think we managed to overcome both of these potential obstacles. 

The game did get a bit niggly but I felt the referee did okay without becoming over-officious. 

I absolutely loved the way Kev and Rory were stripped and ready to come on but Anton obviously thought f**k this, and just about burst the net Hot Shot Hamish style, before breenging through to earn a penalty for the the third. Great stuff!  

I can't make up my mind whether folk are on the wind up or not .  Some of these stories are so far fetched they even make Dick Campbell sound believable. 

Next you will be telling us that the wonderful fake applause over the tannoy when Fife scored didn't happen either .  Mind you it is always a pleasure to listen to Elsie the chain smoking announcer . She is a belter. 

Wow, you Brechin supporters really take it hard. I thought you would have been so used to defeat after last season. You guys have had a go at the pitch, the ref (who looked out of his depth for both teams by the way), and the announcer.

And a GIRUY to the Brechin supporter with the red jacket on, sitting about 3 or 4 rows back from the pitch who gave such a good impression of wankers hand/arm, to the home support after the equaliser. He looks like he has had loads of practice.

A Brechin fan slating another clubs’ pitch. Well stone me.

You're taking the piss aren't you???
Slating the ref for not booking EF players when your own team were lucky to finish with 11 men, the boy Burns should have been sent off for his assault on Watson near the end!!!
And as for somebody who has to watch home games at Glebe Park to then go and slag off other teams pitches, well that's when I decided you were indeed just taking the piss!!!

I was invited to hospitality yesterday by a big East Fife fan thank f**k I could not make it, seems it was  more of the same shite.  I looked on the BBC and the foul count was 14-15 seems pretty even in the brutality stakes:rolleyes:, strange how things turn around earlier in the season fans on here were saying how useless Young was now he is a genius,  don't think that will happen with DD. Only saving grace is that most of the teams in the league are of the same pish standard as us. 

7 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Wow, you Brechin supporters really take it hard. I thought you would have been so used to defeat after last season. You guys have had a go at the pitch, the ref (who looked out of his depth for both teams by the way), and the announcer.

And a GIRUY to the Brechin supporter with the red jacket on, sitting about 3 or 4 rows back from the pitch who gave such a good impression of wankers hand/arm, to the home support after the equaliser. He looks like he has had loads of practice.

We have no illusions of how poor our team are playing . It is hard to watch at times but we turn up just the same in the vain hope things will get better.   What we won't put up with however is folk making up shit that just didn't happen.  Yes there was a bad tackle which Burns was rightly booked for but that apart the game was strewn with niggly wee trips and pushes from both sides which the foul count indicates as pretty even , although Orsi was cynically taken out on the far side when he looked to have beaten his man  which I thought should have warranted a booking. 

The ref was pretty lenient though and a more card happy official might have had a field day , for both sides it has to be said. 

That said Fife deserved the win .  They looked a more balanced side who controlled most of the play and are able to turn defence into attack very easily.  On the other hand  we look like we have lost the ability to attack with any real purpose.  With Dods concentrating so much on defence it is no wonder that mistakes are made when so much of our play is in our own half. 

Brutal to watch in a football sense  and yes eyebleeding at times but physical ???  No .  That is purely what most Fife fans want to believe. 

Not going to apologise about the announcer though.  She is pure Still Game material. ...................... and the fake applause is genius.  

Archived