Booze back at matches?

Old Scrotum

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I was in Toronto for work and went to a Maple Leafs game. Since I was on expenses, I thought I'd just have my "dinner" at the hockey - ordered a poutine and a cider.  Paid $10 for the cider and received a can of Strongbow.

Last time I went to a Senators game I had won a pair of tickets in some sort of raffle.  I paid $20 to park my car, $22 for 2 drinks (1 Somersby Cider and 1 Creemore Springs beer) and $10 for two slices of mediocre pizza so $52.000 for free tickets to watch a team that was pretty lousy on the ice.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand keeping the ban in place for big games that have a lot of tension (Old firm/Edinburgh Derby etc..) but to ban beer at Straraer vs. East Fife or other games where the risk of violence is low seems really silly to me.

Missing what point, exactly? The one where the police are currently dead against alcohol coming back to grounds, so it's better to look for a compromise that isn't substantially different from the status quo?

Remember the days when the polis absolutely, 100% couldn’t cope with football in Scotland on Friday nights either?

Some people like to stand and watch the football with a bovril, I'd like to do it with a beer.

If this comes in Scotland (excluding maybe the actual Euro 2020 games which have revived the issue) I’d be very surprised if we didn’t follow the English model. ie. You won’t be drinking during the game or at your seat/on the terracing.

Just now, H Wragg said:

If this comes in Scotland (excluding maybe the actual Euro 2020 games which have revived the issue) I’d be very surprised if we didn’t follow the English model. ie. You won’t be drinking during the game or at your seat/on the terracing.

Sadly I agree this will be the case, but I reckon you could allow fans a beer during the game at just about any match outside the Old Firm/Edinburgh derby and get away with it. Certainly in the lower leagues, I fail to see the issue.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I understand keeping the ban in place for big games that have a lot of tension (Old firm/Edinburgh Derby etc..) but to ban beer at Straraer vs. East Fife or other games where the risk of violence is low seems really silly to me.

Agreed, just a common sense approach is needed. In England they also have an approach like that. When I went to AFC Wimbledon v Oldham a short while ago for example, I could easily have a beer before KO as there was no risk involved in the game. Yet the rules are much stricter when AFC Wimbledon play MK Dons as you would expect due to the tensions around those games.

I believe only spfl sides are banned currently?

Do non-league sides have any restrictions on their sales? I have remember they aren't meant to allow view of the match?

I have seen drink taken openly at lots of Junior games but in the form of carry outs.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Last year one of the Aberdeen fan groups had a guy over from Berlin, he'd done a role similar to a supporter liaison officer role at Union Berlin.  The subject of booze at games came up and he said German clubs only get a licence on a game by game basis so if the police deem a game to be a high risk then it is very easy to deny a licence.  Think something like that would work here as well. 

16 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Sportsound dicussing it just now.

Richard Gordon - against

Steven Thompson - against

Tom English - against

Willie Miller - for.

Also, the usual infuriating question came up - "What do they do in England?"

Wouldnt listen to their opinion. They clearly dont like the possibility of tanked up  supporters giving them it at football stadiums around the country lol.

Always find its generally the middle classes (who are more than likely drinking in the hospitality at same events) telling the mass working classes they cant drink at football games. Funny that.

More talk of this on the Radio Scotland phone in and it’s all about folk drinking in their seats while the game’s on and throwing beer all over each other.

THIS ISN’T HOW IT’S LIKELY TO WORK!

Archived