When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

16 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Well generally fans will sing about each other team or have their own songs.

I believe this song about the poppies is a Celtic song. Only team I know who sing it. Just don't know what this has to do with football ?

Clearly you have deflected so will let you try again

Lots of football songs have very little to do with football - many clubs have songs (Paper Roses for Killie, You'll Never Walk Alone for Liverpool, Beautiful Sunday for Dundee United etc) which are clearly associated with them but which have absolutely no football content.

That is completely unrelated to this issue though. Clearly "You can stick your fucking poppies up your arse" is not a Celtic FC anthem, or something which they sing every week. It is instead a topical song which comes up at this time of year as their way of showing disapproval to a campaign which they disagree with. Some people will claim that football and politics should be kept separate, but I couldn't disagree more. Football and politics are intertwined, and sport, like are and music, are outlets where working class people can voice their opinions on society as a whole.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that I don't think the supporters are really expressing a political viewpoint. Their primary goal is to express a shared identity in a way that will annoy and offend people who don't share that identity. 

It won't ever change. The clubs involved have far too much to lose by clamping down on it. The media wouldn't want to upset them either and risk being boycotted by one side or another.

Its the biggest thing commercially our game has going for it.

What the rest of us should do is wisen up and get with it. Can you imagine Dundee fans actively supporting the kkk? You'd have white supremacists all over the world adopting Dundee as their team, subscribing to Dee tv and wearing the dark blue. 

United could adopt black power as the cultural theme which has got f**k all to do with them.

Here at St Johnstone, we're going for paganism and the burning of all christians as our religious/ cultural cause; that way we could pile every single Rangers and celtic fan on a massive pyre and dance round holding hands while they burn.

Wickerman style.

And when we get asked about it we'll just issue a statement about how it was a small minority and it's not welcome at our club*, whilst some of us argue about how we've every right to do this as it's our culture.

* but we all know it is really :)

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I'm up for ICT fans starting to picket dead Soldiers funerals in Kentucky along with the WBC.  Those signs they have are quite striking.

God hates ICT fans unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It won't ever change. The clubs involved have far too much to lose by clamping down on it. The media wouldn't want to upset them either and risk being boycotted by one side or another.

Its the biggest thing commercially our game has going for it.

What the rest of us should do is wisen up and get with it. Can you imagine Dundee fans actively supporting the kkk? You'd have white supremacists all over the world adopting Dundee as their team, subscribing to Dee tv and wearing the dark blue. 

United could adopt black power as the cultural theme which has got f**k all to do with them.

Here at St Johnstone, we're going for paganism and the burning of all christians as our religious/ cultural cause; that way we could pile every single Rangers and celtic fan on a massive pyre and dance round holding hands while they burn.

Wickerman style.

And when we get asked about it we'll just issue a statement about how it was a small minority and it's not welcome at our club*, whilst some of us argue about how we've every right to do this as it's our culture.

* but we all know it is really :)

What would you do with Abdul, the religiously confused and politically fucked up Rangers fan?

I do scratch my head at folk going on about the poppy.

celtic fans: "f**k THE POPPY. ITS A SYMBOL OF BRIISH MILITARISM AND I'M AGAINST IT."

normal person: "that's fine, you don't have to wear one. It's a choice."

celtic fan: "I'M NOT GOING TO WEAR ONE."

normal person: "that's fine, you don't have to."

Celtic fan: "AND WHAT ABOUT THESE CEREMONIES, I HATE THEM."

normal person: "You don't have to go. You don't even have to watch it on tv, just turn it over."

celtic fan: "NO THIS WON'T DO. I NEED TO GET MORE ATTENTION OUT OF THIS. I NEED EVERYONE TO KNOW ABOUT HOW I FEEL. LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION."

Spoiler

LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME   ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME ATTENTION.  LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A CAUSE.  GIVE ME   ATTENTION.  

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The politicisation of songs by the Celtic away support seems to have increased since the other cheek returned to the Premiership - that's not a coincidence.

It's also not true. It has coincided with the rise of the Green Brigade.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They don't sing the Billy Boys though. Only Rangers and Hearts do.

The majority of Hearts supporters sing “ The Gorgie Boys “

The majority of Celtic supporters sing pro IRA songs 

All Rangers supporters sing the Billy Boys

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The politicisation of songs by the Celtic away support seems to have increased since the other cheek returned to the Premiership - that's not a coincidence.

So-called politicisation is just their way of trying to get round the sectarianism label. Once again it's why something is said or done that determines its purpose not the actual words or action.  The anti-poppy stuff is 100% sectarian as is everything in bigot brothers agenda.

Archived