Albania vs Scotland

Gordopolis

The only changes I'd make in the long term.

Tierney (replaces Paterson at right back), 

Griffiths (replaces Fletcher) up front,

McGinn (replaces Chalmers) in midfield.

Paterson replaces Bates at Centre back.

No way back for Scott Brown - what a difference having a proper footballer in that position (Mcgregor). 

Excellent players - Mckenna, Forrest, Fraser, Christie, Robertson, Tierney, Mcgregor (x2), McGinn, Griffiths. Only problem positon I see is a partner for the excellent McKenna in centre of defence

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, BigDan said:

No way back for Scott Brown - what a difference having a proper footballer in that position (Mcgregor). 

Excellent players - Mckenna, Forrest, Fraser, Christie, Robertson, Tierney, Mcgregor (x2), McGinn, Griffiths. Only problem positon I see is a partner for the excellent McKenna in centre of defence

Interesting idea here. I like the idea of Paterson being moved from right back, but where we differ is that I would put him on the plane home rather than into the centre of defense. He has shown zero defensive ability (or indeed footballing ability) whenever he's played right back for Scotland. He was an utter carthorse tonight and he was only useful when the ball was launched to his heid. Easily our weakest link.

Unsure who the player you identified as "Chalmers" was. Maybe Armstrong? I'd personally start the same team as tonight. McGregor was excellent as holding midfielder and has a far better touch than McGinn.

8 minutes ago, BigDan said:

Who the f**k is Chalmers?

edit: just saw the post above - Armstrong is better than McGinn (most overrated footballer of all time).

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Despite the pisstake I did actually wonder what the f**k you were on about btw.

Lot’s of pop culture references to ‘Glasgow banter’ (only an excuse a prime example, but also lots of ‘Glasgow banter’ mugs/plates/pictures etc. Souvenirs) which  are actually universally Scottish references/jokes. Only something you might realise if youve spent a lot of time out side and inside the west. 

1 minute ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Lot’s of pop culture references to ‘Glasgow banter’ (only an excuse a prime example, but also lots of ‘Glasgow banter’ mugs/plates/pictures etc. Souvenirs) which  are actually universally Scottish references/jokes. Only something you might realise if youve spent a lot of time out side and inside the west. 

Thought it might have some relevance to Albania v Scotland :wacko:

16 minutes ago, BigDan said:

How about his equally excellent centre back partner at club level? Devlin has arguably been better than McKenna so far this season.

Edit:

Although it's not really a competition tbh, they're both ballers.

7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Who the f**k is Chalmers?

edit: just saw the post above - Armstrong is better than McGinn (most overrated footballer of all time).

Sorry - for some reason I always call Armstrong 'Chalmers'. Touch of the Big Eck dementia kicking in.

Admittedly Paterson was a weak link at full back, but if he could lose a wee bit of weight I could see him as potentially a great long term partner for McKenna. He is powerful, excellent in the air, can pass the ball and is a threat in the opponents box at set pieces. He also has that confidence / arrogance required and won't be phased by anyone. He isn't the fastest but that need not be exposed as McKenna has the pace. Obviously he has a lot he needs to work on - mainly the tache, which is a poor imitation of the head waiter's (Willie Miller) one. Time will tell ! 

2 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

The manger did it in his post match interview. Hence the relevance. 

Okay, then that was what I was asking about *exhales*

Some details would be AWESOME.

My fault for changing the channel before our shambling, probably ill manager appeared to annoy some fife teuchters with his big city ways.

Superb win tonight. Really pleased with the result and performance.

The nonsense about the system not mattering is absolute bollocks. We looked a lot more comfortable in 4-2-3-1 as we have for a number of years now.

Restoring Stuart Armstrong to the midfield helps us move the ball more quickly and positively, as Armstrong is brave on the ball and sets a high tempo that breaks down poorer teams. Fraser and Forrest were outstanding out wide, absolutely outstanding. They exploited the spaces between wing backs and left and right centre backs all night to great effect.

Christie made a solid performance once again. Fletcher did well and although Griffiths will likely always be first choice, Fletcher showed why he was started ahead of McBurnie.

Only thing to change would be to restore KT at right back when he returns as Paterson looked uncomfortable there at times tonight.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Superb win tonight. Really pleased with the result and performance.

The nonsense about the system not mattering is absolute bollocks. We looked a lot more comfortable in 4-2-3-1 as we have for a number of years now.

Restoring Stuart Armstrong to the midfield helps us move the ball more quickly and positively, as Armstrong is brave on the ball and sets a high tempo that breaks down poorer teams. Fraser and Forrest were outstanding out wide, absolutely outstanding. They exploited the spaces between wing backs and left and right centre backs all night to great effect.

Christie made a solid performance once again. Fletcher did well and although Griffiths will likely always be first choice, Fletcher showed why he was started ahead of McBurnie.

Only thing to change would be to restore KT at right back when he returns as Paterson looked uncomfortable there at times tonight.

That midfield 5

McGregor Armstrong

Forrest Christie Fraser

Must not be changed, for the fixtures going forward either

Archived