Completing the 42

Guest Jedi

16 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I was at Hamilton v Thistle at Cliftonhill years ago, maybe 1999? Pretty sure it was an early season cup tie, League Cup or Challenge Cup.

Remarkably, I just found my ticket stub from this game in my flat.

The ticket stub tells me it was a Bell's First Division match on the 2nd of August 1997.

A quick Google search tells me it was a 1-1 draw. This makes sense as I'd thought it had been 1-1 but couldn't remember a penalty shoot out or extra time.

The two sides met at the same venue ten days later in the Challenge Cup, with the Accies winning 2-1, but I wasn't at that game.

There you go. Just in case any mentalist was in any way interested.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been to

Rangers

St Johnstone

Kilmarnock

Hibs

Morton

Dunfermline

Alloa

Partick Thistle

Falkirk (old)

Arbroath

Raith Rovers

East Fife (old and new)

Montrose

Forfar

Dumbarton (old and new)

Brechin

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Clyde (old and new)

Elgin City

Berwick Rangers

Cowdenbeath

Queens Park

Albion Rovers

Stirling Albion (old)

Plus Meadowbank and Fir Park.

Still to watch Falkirk at

Arbroath (went to Arbroath vs Elgin when our game vs Dundee got postponed a couple of years ago)

East Fife

Forfar

Stranraer

Edinburgh City

Peterhead

Annan

Elgin

Berwick

So either 8 I've not visited and 9 where I've yet to see Falkirk. Slightly concerned I'll get a chance to shorten the list a fair bit over the next couple of years.

Still to watch Falkirk at
Arbroath (went to Arbroath vs Elgin when our game vs Dundee got postponed a couple of years ago)
East Fife
Forfar
Stranraer
Edinburgh City
Peterhead
Annan
Elgin
Berwick

So either 8 I've not visited and 9 where I've yet to see Falkirk. Slightly concerned I'll get a chance to shorten the list a fair bit over the next couple of years.

You could have shortened it already, your lot played East Fife at the Nou Bayview in the League Cup earlier this season!!!

Given the ground sharing that went on over the last 25 years as clubs moved/were kicked out of old grounds I had a wee thought about seeing teams play "home" games away from home: 
I'm sure my first visit to Firhill was to see Clyde who were playing there at the time! 
I saw Meadowbank play Ayr at Tynecastle when the Commonwealth Stadium was unavailable and they also played "home" games against Hearts at Brockville and Hibs at Starks Park in the League Cup. I'm sure Berwick also played a game at Meadowbank when the roof was taken off the Shielfield Stand. I also saw Celtic play Meadowbank at Hampden in the Scottish Cup. 
I've seen Clydebank play Queen of the South at Boghead and Gretna's last ever game against Hearts at Fir Park. 
Edinburgh City have also borrowed Netherdale, City Park (which was their original ground), Pennypit, Riccarton and Ainslie Park (before moving there) on occasion. 
I've seen the Shire play at Stenhousemuir and the Falkirk Stadium and Dunbar United at the Dunbar Grammar School. 
Of clubs sharing grounds- Edinburgh City and Tollcross United at Fernieside, Edinburgh City and Spartans at Ainslie Park, Spartans and Craigroyston at City Park and Rossvale and Petershill at Petershill Park.

Seen dumbarton play a 'home' game at five different grounds
Also seen us play in every ground except Edinburgh City (we havnt played them)

13 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Played Dumbarton at Ainslie Park in a pre-season friendly a couple of years back. But fair play, who can be bothered with pre-season friendlies anyway! ;)

I’ve done the lot. East End Park was my final one to cross off but did that in 2008 when Queens played there.

I’m still at the full set despite ground changes, etc, although I don’t think I’d go just for the sake of list-ticking now. Ainslie Park was my most recent - Ed City v Clyde last Spring with a Clyde-supporting mate promising a day out in Edinburgh around the game.

Now complete..and a really entertaining game to round off with..best wishes to the Sons for the rest of the season, good ground, friendly fans, good day out.

Boghead, the Rock, Hampden and Cliftonhill. Where was the fifth?

I've been to 34. Still got Hamilton, Inverness, Ross County, Montrose, Peterhead, Elgin, Albion Rovers and Berwick to go. Hopefully be one more in March when we play at Link's Park.

Somebody was talking about Ibrox earlier and I've actually been to more concerts there than football matches!

Clyde are most home grounds - Seen then at home at Shawfield, Douglas Park, Firhill & Cumbernauld

Teams no more - Meadowbank Th,  Inverness Caledonian and Inverness Thistle at Meadowbank, Telford St & Kingsmill

Teams at multiple homes - Petershill,  Peterhead, Cove Rangers seen at old grounds and their new replacement grounds

Grounds that are no more - Hamiton (old Douglas park), St Mirren (Love st), Dumbarton (Boghead), Falkirk (Brockville), E Stirling (Firs Park), Clydebank (Kilbowie), Man City (Maine Rd)

So it's 60 Junior, 30 SPFL, 17 Highland league, 2 Other (Edinburgh City & Selkirk), 15 English and have seen Scotland play in 13 grounds* and the Nou Camp for a Barcelona game

* I have counted Wembley twice as was at Old Wembley in 1996 and back at the new one a couple of years ago

I have also seen many of these grounds change beyond recognition. I have stood on terracing at, Anfield, Old Traffod, Rugby Park, Parkhead, Easter Rd, Tynecastle & Hampden

20 hours ago, microdave said:

Boghead, the Rock, Hampden and Cliftonhill. Where was the fifth?

I've been to 34. Still got Hamilton, Inverness, Ross County, Montrose, Peterhead, Elgin, Albion Rovers and Berwick to go. Hopefully be one more in March when we play at Link's Park.

Somebody was talking about Ibrox earlier and I've actually been to more concerts there than football matches!

Kilbowie. We played Clyde and Arbroath there in sectional league cup ties in 1974

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's you disqualified, sorry.

LoL

It a matter of opinion. I've only counted grounds like Rugby Park, Parkhead, Easter Rd, Tynecastle & Hampden once despite being in them all standing on terracing and also when they have been completely redeveloped as all seater grounds. I see them as re-builds. The question is Wembley a re-build or a completely new ground?

33 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Kilbowie. We played Clyde and Arbroath there in sectional league cup ties in 1974

I had a feeling it was Kilbowie. What was wrong with Boghead? I'll hazard a guess at drainage issues!

17 minutes ago, microdave said:

I had a feeling it was Kilbowie. What was wrong with Boghead? I'll hazard a guess at drainage issues!

As far as I recall they were working on it over the summer and it wasn't completed in time for the start of the season. Our third league cup game was at Boghead

• 1 month later...

Archived