How often do you visit your grandparents?

How often do you visit your grandparents?   

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weirdly it dawned on me the other day that I don’t even know where they are buried. Three had died before I was born and the fourth died when I was very young. Thinking about it, I don’t even know their names?! I feel like I should feel bad about this but I never knew these people...?

I know 100% the name of both grandfathers, I think my mothers mother was called Elizabeth but have no idea what my Dads mum was called. I only found out a couple of years ago that his mother really didn’t like my mum and was horrible to her, she was by all accounts a ghastly woman who was morbidly obese, I think my mum was happy when she died.

No idea where any of them are buried as well. What an arsehole I am.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ah-dee said:
10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
If I ever end up with adult grandkids, I'd like to think they'd be too busy doing lines and banging nines to be bothered with my pishy auld arse. We'll have had our time together when they were wee, with any luck.

excellent posting dave and couldnt agree more. i call my gran once a week if i remember. this is fine for all concerned. i see her at funerals. who knows next one could be hers!

Or yours...

17 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Weirdly it dawned on me the other day that I don’t even know where they are buried. Three had died before I was born and the fourth died when I was very young. Thinking about it, I don’t even know their names?! I feel like I should feel bad about this but I never knew these people...?

Maternal grandfather died 10 years before I was born. Paternal grandfather 10 days after I was born. Maternal grandmother died when I was 1. Paternal grandmother died when I was 10, she's the only one I remember.

However, I do know their names and where they are buried!

3 families of our grandchildren visit regularly - that's 10 of them. We never see the other 5 (and are unlikely to). Aforementioned family rifts. Annoys my wife a lot more than it upsets me.

46 minutes ago, throbber said:

I know 100% the name of both grandfathers, I think my mothers mother was called Elizabeth but have no idea what my Dads mum was called. I only found out a couple of years ago that his mother really didn’t like my mum and was horrible to her, she was by all accounts a ghastly woman who was morbidly obese, I think my mum was happy when she died.

Landfill?

I think I know one of my grandfather’s names, my dad’s dad. He was the only one I ever met but they two didn’t get on.
Don’t think it really makes you an arsehole tbh mate. What difference would it make? You could go and see a stone in the ground and look all miserable for a bit then get on with your day, or just get on with your day and think of them now and then naturally without the aforementioned.

11 hours ago, ah-dee said:
11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
If I ever end up with adult grandkids, I'd like to think they'd be too busy doing lines and banging nines to be bothered with my pishy auld arse. We'll have had our time together when they were wee, with any luck.

excellent posting dave and couldnt agree more. i call my gran once a week if i remember. this is fine for all concerned. i see her at funerals. who knows next one could be hers!

Just tell them you've been. I used to do that with my Mother.

"I haven't seen you fir weeks."

"Dont be daft, I was here yesterday, Countdown was on."

"Oh aye, so it was."

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maternal grandfather died 10 years before I was born. Paternal grandfather 10 days after I was born. Maternal grandmother died when I was 1. Paternal grandmother died when I was 10, she's the only one I remember.

However, I do know their names and where they are buried!

3 families of our grandchildren visit regularly - that's 10 of them. We never see the other 5 (and are unlikely to). Aforementioned family rifts. Annoys my wife a lot more than it upsets me.

Your grandparents lived in the last ice age.

27 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It's 4 fewer people mate. 

You can add me to your disappointed list. 

It would be quicker for him to have a not disappointed list.

Never met my dad's dad. Died when my Dad was young. My Dad's mum died about 20 years ago. Wasn't overly close to her, just didn't see her very often.

My mum's dad died when I was 2. I have only one vague memory of him, given my age.

My mum's mum died coming up on 9 years ago next month. Loved her to bits, saw her all the time, still miss her. Named my daughter after her.

Mine have all been dead for years.

My dad's parents both died before I was born. His dad died watching a game at Rugby Park in the early 60's and his mum died the year before I was born.

My mum's parents died in 1976 and 1989 and I have no clue where any of them are buried.

Dad's mum is still alive. Visit her as often as I can. I'm very close to her as I'm her only granddaughter. She lives 160 miles away though. 

Dad's dad died in 2006. He had Huntingtons disease. He was a very quiet man. Spent a lot of time in his loft/shed building things. He also collected a lot of star wars memorabilia that is still unopened to this day. Probably worth a fortune.

Mum's mum is still alive. See her whenever I am in #perthshire. She hates girls, well did when my cousins and I were growing up so always treated us differently. More mellow now she is in her 80s and I enjoy her company more now.

Mum's dad still alive too. He is a brilliant guy and would do anything for me.

I'll be absolutely gutted when they all pass away. 

4 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Easy enough to do a bit of genealogy online nowadays to look into that sort of thing. Having been with three out of four of mine a lot when I was a kid I found it interesting to find out how much of what I had been told by them was really true and how much was made up down through the generations to cover up awkward stuff that nobody wanted to talk about openly. Needless to say there was a bit of both going on.

All dead, my paternal grandmother died first, of a sudden heart attack  in 1982, on my birthday as well which wasn't very nice, my maternal grandad died in 1984, he had Parkinsons disease although I believe it was a heart attack that killed him and my dad's dad the year after that after a short battle with cancer. 

Mum's mum held on till 2007 when she passed, a combination of kidney failure and old age finally saw to her 

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Dad's mum is still alive. Visit her as often as I can. I'm very close to her as I'm her only granddaughter. She lives 160 miles away though. 

Dad's dad died in 2006. He had Huntingtons disease. He was a very quiet man. Spent a lot of time in his loft/shed building things. He also collected a lot of star wars memorabilia that is still unopened to this day. Probably worth a fortune.

Mum's mum is still alive. See her whenever I am in #perthshire. She hates girls, well did when my cousins and I were growing up so always treated us differently. More mellow now she is in her 80s and I enjoy her company more now.

Dad's dad still alive too. He is a brilliant guy and would do anything for me.

I'll be absolutely gutted when they all pass away. 

Is the second one your mum's dad?

Archived