Dunfermline vs Ross County - 2nd February

We badly need a lift and a goal or two so hopefully a few new additions arrive before this game. It's going to be tough but we need to get some wins on the board and put distance between us and the bottom three.

County out powered and outfought us in their last visit to EEP, with Mullin scoring one of the best goals I've ever seen live. County are still favourites for the title but haven't been as dominant as expected and you feel they're probably playing slightly below their potential at the moment. I wonder if a more experienced coach/manager would have built a fair gap on Ayr & United by now with the same squad?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I wonder if a more experienced coach/manager would have built a fair gap on Ayr & United by now with the same squad?

It's mental that we've been unbelievably shite for two months yet we're only 3 points off top with a game in hand. Also shows how poor Dundee Utd were before Neilson and how little progress they've made since he's come in.  

Can't understand County not getting a manager in with previous experience of winning this league considering the money they've got to throw about. For the record I still think they will win the league but with their financial muscle we shouldn't be as close to them as we are. 

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

We do have potential to beat anyone in this league if only we could get some strikers in.

Big ask to get any result here. 

People keep saying stuff like this but against United and Rovers we barely created a chance for the strikers to miss. Hippo's sitter at Starks is the only one I can think of.

The forwards are hugely to blame for the lack of goals but the rest of the team haven't done enough either.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It's mental that we've been unbelievably shite for two months yet we're only 3 points off top with a game in hand. Also shows how poor Dundee Utd were before Neilson and how little progress they've made since he's come in.  

Can't understand County not getting a manager in with previous experience of winning this league considering the money they've got to throw about. For the record I still think they will win the league but with their financial muscle we shouldn't be as close to them as we are. 

I’m not sure if a more experienced manager would have done much better over the last couple of months. I won’t go through the list but the injury situation has been horrendous even with our squad. In defence particularly we’ve struggled to get four defenders together for games, Draper had a run of games as a central defender which he ain’t. Fontaine and Demetriou are still out. 

Can’t remember the last time Vigurs played and without a doubt he’s our most creative midfielder. Add to that red cards to Fraser, Mullin and Graham and we’ve struggled to put out teams without 3 or 4 players playing well out of position. 

We’re starting to get players back, have unloaded some and brought in a few, and are showing some signs of us playing better after a poor run.  The next few weeks will show whether or not it was injuries, poor management or some other factor that caused the run. 

I may try and get down to this one, nothing planned that weekend but finances are tight after christmas. 

Really need to start knocking in a few wins as nobody in the top six including ourselves is playing anything that title winning football.

I would much rather go down the inexperienced manager route than have another Coyle, or even McIntyre.

All this “County should be skooshing the league” stuff. Aye probably: second largest budget behind United but weren’t hamstrung by awful recruitment or an incompetent manager. Still, there’s some mitigating circumstances, however I’ve been disappointed over performances/results since October really.

Regarding this game: change the team pls. Absolutely no VdW at left-back. Harry Paton at least in the squad. Graham up top and Mckay on the bench. 

Results without sparkling performances are fine but it would be nice to have both.

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

I would much rather go down the inexperienced manager route than have another Coyle, or even McIntyre.

All this “County should be skooshing the league” stuff. Aye probably: second largest budget behind United but weren’t hamstrung by awful recruitment or an incompetent manager. Still, there’s some mitigating circumstances, however I’ve been disappointed over performances/results since October really.

Regarding this game: change the team pls. Absolutely no VdW at left-back. Harry Paton at least in the squad. Graham up top and Mckay on the bench. 

Results without sparkling performances are fine but it would be nice to have both.

I would have thought that the parachute payment you get has been investined in the first team rather than adjusting to life in the league below and would probably mean you have the biggest budget by some distance.

Anyway we have a mystery striker coming and he will score 3 at least. 3-4 FT.

4 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

But what if it's Inih Effiong?

22 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I would have thought that the parachute payment you get has been investined in the first team rather than adjusting to life in the league below and would probably mean you have the biggest budget by some distance.

We cut our budget with relegation. 
Lost Curran to Dundee Utd for a longer contract on higher wages, missed out on Frans because we couldn't match Utd's offer, reports of Fyvie's wages etc are higher than our own players. Etc.
Our budget is not bigger than Utd's by some distance.

United had Lazlo until late September, which certainly cancels out any financial advantage they had over County.

I think County will win the league as they have the biggest and best squad but don't think they've peaked yet. Seems like a lot of good players rather than an excellent team atm.

Will be more than enough to smash through our collection of geeks and jobbers, though.

Archived