The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I’ve shared my thoughts on last night in the match thread, so won’t re-tread them here. But what I will add is that, despite my disappointment with the performance and result, I don’t think we should be giving up on this in any way.

While it’s unfortunate we’re going in to the second leg a goal down, I don’t always think it goes for much. If you think back to our last playoff appearance against Alloa, we battered them in the first leg but only held a 1 goal lead - it counted for very little in the second leg (which we lost) and unlike what we did to them that night, we were far from battered by Morton.

It’s a big night for us and one we’re capable of winning, but it will come down to who is available and what team we go with in my view.

With that said, I’ve shared my take on the manager plenty of times before and folk will probably be fed up hearing it, as I don’t think it matches the general consensus - but I’d go as far to say he’s done a great job.

Heres why:

1. In his first season, we finished 5th, despite him only coming in partway through and inheriting a team put together by Stevie Findlay, that was low in confidence and disjointed. He stabilised us, made us hard to beat and took us to within an inch of the playoffs.

2. In his second season, he was allowed to build his own team (we think), but there was certainly some input from Stuart Miller in terms of recruitment. Say what you like about style of play or whatever else, but that squad was much better than the previous one and saw us finish 3rd before the season was called. Also worth noting (and people forget) that we were only 2/3 points off Falkirk in 2nd and 5 behind Raith who won the league, with like 8 games to go and both still to play. We’d hoped for 3rd at the very least, which we got and were competitive to finish higher.

3. This season, the pandemic had a huge impact on everything from recruitment, to pre-season, to match day routines. I know that every club and manager has faced this, but you cannot consider the season without factoring that in, in my view. The issue of Stuart Millar still loomed large too - with not just an involvement in recruitment, but supposedly the coaching side of things too. Yes, the first half of the season was somewhere between poor and indifferent, but given all of the above, that is understandable. Then, despite a tough return after the restart, he’s turned us around and had us on a magnificent run that’s seen us finish 2 points off the top and past the best footballing side in the league to get to the playoff finals.

I’m not saying I agree with everything he says or does - I wouldn’t be picking Jack McKay and I wouldn’t have a central midfield made up of a striker, winger and playmaker, who’s forced to sit deep - but those calls have worked at times this season and sometimes they haven’t. That’s just how it goes.

However, whatever you think of the guy or his style of play, I think it’s laughable to suggest he hasn’t been successful.

I think we do need to be careful what we wish for here. As I’d love for someone to name me a (realistic) replacement that wouldn’t have some of the same (or equally significant) flaws as Murray at this level and could do a better job.

I’ll always remember the 07/08 season  - ironically, the last season we finished as high as 2nd until this season - where Ross County were x number of points clear of us at the top of the league by late September/early October and they sacked Dick Campbell because he didn’t play an exciting enough brand of football. To me, that was the craziest thing I’d heard - we’d all love to see our team play free-flowing, attacking football, but it’s not always possible or realistic at this level. I support this club as I love it to the core and, as a result, want it to succeed - if that means winning ugly, then so be it.

No one can say that he hasn’t had results since he’s been here and no one can say the players don’t try for him - the spirit, fight and work ethic is clearly there. Is he perfect, no? But he has more than earned the right to take us into next season, whether we’re in League 1 or the Championship and I still believe he’s the best man to take us forward.

2 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

I’ve shared my thoughts on last night in the match thread, so won’t re-tread them here. But what I will add is that, despite my disappointment with the performance and result, I don’t think we should be giving up on this in any way.

While it’s unfortunate we’re going in to the second leg a goal down, I don’t always think it goes for much. If you think back to our last playoff appearance against Alloa, we battered them in the first leg but only held a 1 goal lead - it counted for very little in the second leg (which we lost) and unlike what we did to them that night, we were far from battered by Morton.

It’s a big night for us and one we’re capable of winning, but it will come down to who is available and what team we go with in my view.

With that said, I’ve shared my take on the manager plenty of times before and folk will probably be fed up hearing it, as I don’t think it matches the general consensus - but I’d go as far to say he’s done a great job.

Heres why:

1. In his first season, we finished 5th, despite him only coming in partway through and inheriting a team put together by Stevie Findlay, that was low in confidence and disjointed. He stabilised us, made us hard to beat and took us to within an inch of the playoffs.

2. In his second season, he was allowed to build his own team (we think), but there was certainly some input from Stuart Miller in terms of recruitment. Say what you like about style of play or whatever else, but that squad was much better than the previous one and saw us finish 3rd before the season was called. Also worth noting (and people forget) that we were only 2/3 points off Falkirk in 2nd and 5 behind Raith who won the league, with like 8 games to go and both still to play. We’d hoped for 3rd at the very least, which we got and were competitive to finish higher.

3. This season, the pandemic had a huge impact on everything from recruitment, to pre-season, to match day routines. I know that every club and manager has faced this, but you cannot consider the season without factoring that in, in my view. The issue of Stuart Millar still loomed large too - with not just an involvement in recruitment, but supposedly the coaching side of things too. Yes, the first half of the season was somewhere between poor and indifferent, but given all of the above, that is understandable. Then, despite a tough return after the restart, he’s turned us around and had us on a magnificent run that’s seen us finish 2 points off the top and past the best footballing side in the league to get to the playoff finals.

I’m not saying I agree with everything he says or does - I wouldn’t be picking Jack McKay and I wouldn’t have a central midfield made up of a striker, winger and playmaker, who’s forced to sit deep - but those calls have worked at times this season and sometimes they haven’t. That’s just how it goes.

However, whatever you think of the guy or his style of play, I think it’s laughable to suggest he hasn’t been successful.

I think we do need to be careful what we wish for here. As I’d love for someone to name me a (realistic) replacement that wouldn’t have some of the same (or equally significant) flaws as Murray at this level and could do a better job.

I’ll always remember the 07/08 season  - ironically, the last season we finished as high as 2nd until this season - where Ross County were x number of points clear of us at the top of the league by late September/early October and they sacked Dick Campbell because he didn’t play an exciting enough brand of football. To me, that was the craziest thing I’d heard - we’d all love to see our team play free-flowing, attacking football, but it’s not always possible or realistic at this level. I support this club as I love it to the core and, as a result, want it to succeed - if that means winning ugly, then so be it.

No one can say that he hasn’t had results since he’s been here and no one can say the players don’t try for him - the spirit, fight and work ethic is clearly there. Is he perfect, no? But he has more than earned the right to take us into next season, whether we’re in League 1 or the Championship and I still believe he’s the best man to take us forward.

He has had some of our worst results as well, tactics, set up still causes concern, 

Good to see reasonable level of support for Ian Murray on here. We keep hearing that managers/players should be judged on results! At the Jags we have a few fans who still want McCall sacked but if we follow the mantra that football is all about results then both McCall and Murray can be judged as doing a very good job! 

Again best of luck v Morton. Hope you thump them and have Jags and Diamonds in next seasons Championship. 

Having Kerr back would be a huge boost. As we saw last night, he’s a much better ball carrier and out ball than Crighton which can only help us link up with and play through the midfield. If McKay is out then I suspect they’ll play together in defence but if McKay is fit I’d be going with the back three that’s seen us through this run. I know it’s a huge, and controversial, call to not play your club captain in the biggest game of the season but I actually think Kerr is just a much better player overall TBH. 

Depending on injuries Murray might be tempted to stick Kerr in the midfield but I really hope he doesn’t. The midfield is undoubtedly the biggest issue though. We have to get Turner further forward and linking with the strikers. If Paton is back, ideal. But if not we’ll have to find a way to do that with the personnel we have available. Carrick getting a head knock means he’ll probably be unavailable(?) and O’Reilly simply cannot play there. The most obvious solution to me would be playing Ritchie and Sabatini behind Turner. I think he will play Ritchie but these days, for whatever reason, he’s more likely to pick one of us than he is Sabatini. Which probably means it will be any one of Kerr, Walker, the two McKays, Thomson, Stokes, Robert or O’Reilly as the other centre mid. Not convinced at all any of those options would work out but I guess we’ll see. 

Whatever happens, it’s the last game of the season and we have to go for it. We’ve responded to set backs and came from behind well recently so hopefully that fighting spirit and maybe even a little bit (just a smidge) of quality from Turner or someone else can see us through. 

35 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Having Kerr back would be a huge boost. As we saw last night, he’s a much better ball carrier and out ball than Crighton which can only help us link up with and play through the midfield. If McKay is out then I suspect they’ll play together in defence but if McKay is fit I’d be going with the back three that’s seen us through this run. I know it’s a huge, and controversial, call to not play your club captain in the biggest game of the season but I actually think Kerr is just a much better player overall TBH. 

Depending on injuries Murray might be tempted to stick Kerr in the midfield but I really hope he doesn’t. The midfield is undoubtedly the biggest issue though. We have to get Turner further forward and linking with the strikers. If Paton is back, ideal. But if not we’ll have to find a way to do that with the personnel we have available. Carrick getting a head knock means he’ll probably be unavailable(?) and O’Reilly simply cannot play there. The most obvious solution to me would be playing Ritchie and Sabatini behind Turner. I think he will play Ritchie but these days, for whatever reason, he’s more likely to pick one of us than he is Sabatini. Which probably means it will be any one of Kerr, Walker, the two McKays, Thomson, Stokes, Robert or O’Reilly as the other centre mid. Not convinced at all any of those options would work out but I guess we’ll see. 

Whatever happens, it’s the last game of the season and we have to go for it. We’ve responded to set backs and came from behind well recently so hopefully that fighting spirit and maybe even a little bit (just a smidge) of quality from Turner or someone else can see us through. 

Would be really good to have Paton and Kerr back, teamates seem to play a lot better with them around, 

7 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Would be really good to have Paton and Kerr back, teamates seem to play a lot better with them around, 

That would be ideal! I’d actually be pretty confident of getting a result if they were both playing. If not I think it will be a be another  struggle. 

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Podcast up - it’s the hope that kills you!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/46chLk5zrV5zGt7PA

I think the Jackson Brown "Running on empty" did affect us the other night , as well as the game plan debated by the OTL guys, but I also hope that Cher's "Believe" will set us up for a good Friday. I was amused with the comment that a stumble is usually followed by a quick run, and I fear I have passed that reaction at my age. Twice baked/fried is often better than a single attempt, so well done on putting the podcast out.

5 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think the Jackson Brown "Running on empty" did affect us the other night , as well as the game plan debated by the OTL guys, but I also hope that Cher's "Believe" will set us up for a good Friday. I was amused with the comment that a stumble is usually followed by a quick run, and I fear I have passed that reaction at my age. Twice baked/fried is often better than a single attempt, so well done on putting the podcast out.

I'm going with Silver Mt Zion's "He has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corner of our rooms".

Will take a wee bit of divine intervention tomorrow.

Edited by stuartcraig

21 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

I'm going with Silver Mt Zion's "He has left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corner of our rooms".

Will take a wee bit of divine intervention tomorrow.

After Tuesdays game we were left with Simple Minds hopefully we are still 'Alive and Kicking'' in the tie and you never know maybe 'Promised you a miracle' will be apt at Fulltime..

One thing we know is that this team has a fighting spirit about them. We’ve beaten Dumbarton, Falkirk x2, East Fife, Montrose and Cove in the league when we’ve needed to, came from behind to get a result at Links Park and came from behind twice to beat Cove in the semis. That alone won’t be enough but if we can get the midfield right and allow Kyle Turner to support the forwards and add a bit more quality in the final third, then we’ll give ourselves a fighting chance. 

Good to be involved in the last game of the season.

Really hope Paton makes it as his absence on Tuesday seemed to involve Turner playing deeper. I think he played there before Paton's debut and I seem to recall when Paton came in some of us thought that Paton initially got in the way of Turner, but then they got it working well. However, on Tuesday, turner playing deep didn't come off as the rest of a makeshift midfield struggled, even more so as it was chopped and changed in the 2nd half due to injuries and became even more makeshift as the game went on. As a result Morton dominated the midfield, we got pushed deeper and deeper and all the players resorted to lumping it up the park.

In fairness I don't think any of Carrick or O'Reilly, or Walker or Robert  is primarily a midfielder.  Plan B on the night to try and get us back into the game seemed to be the one that has worked well in some previous games, involving Thomson, but that went up in smoke when McKay was injured. At least the manager seemed to try to win the game by bringing on offensive players (Robert, Roy) rather then more defensive  midfielders ,Sabbatini and Ritchie, although maybe one of them would have helped Turner push up? 

On Robert, I think his challenge is to play in the preferred shape, the one that has served us well recently. He was popping up everywhere in his brief experience  which is entertaining but in the past 2 games a couple of players -Turner, Fordyce -  seem to be having a go at him and pointing to where he should be on the park.

Fingers crossed for tonight.