The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Firstly I belong to Dumbarton thread 

and...

you can’t deny it, Christ Alloa have went up twice in that time and came back down, Arbroath, f**k even Brechin went up and came back down lol. All whilst you’s lot think you are something cause you went semi full time 😆😆 

Get real 

The goal of any team is surely to win and get promoted. Indeed the club and manager have set expectations of a title challenge next season. 

Ergo - 

1-  While I appreciate you are probably easily confused about which thread to be in considering the shape of our squad right now; kindly f**k off back to the Dumbarton thread whence you came. 😀

2 - Go write Ian Murray and the Airdrie board for having ideas above their station in your eyes.

5 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Size of club 🤣 remind us again how long you lasted In the championship when we both went up? That time you got promoted for not winning promotion 😆

stop thinking airdrie are big time and maybe you’ll be a little less disappointed every time your season crumbles 😢

Airdrie are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Obviously Dumbarton have been far better than us for most of the last decade and that success is something we need to aim for, but looking at the two clubs at the moment it doesn’t suddenly make Dumbarton a bigger team. There’s not a huge amount in it, in this league most clubs are on a similar sort of level, but I think most people would still say Airdrie are a bigger club. If Paton thinks Dumbarton is the right move for him then fair play, can’t argue with that. There probably isn’t a huge amount in it financially and it sounds like the location suits him too, which rightly counts for a lot at this level.

I think most Airdrie fans are well aware of the situation we’re in, we’ve been in League One for a long time and are nowhere near the sort of club Airdrie were even 15 years ago. As others have said, the manager has publicly talked about going for promotion this season, something he hasn’t really done previously. While I quite like the look of some of Dumbarton’s signings and Farrell seems much more ambitious than Duffy was, I certainly don’t think they’ll be aiming for that. There’s a difference between saying that and having a Falkirk style crowdwank as if we have a right to beat teams at this level, which after the last decade we’re all well aware we don’t have. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Airdrie are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Obviously Dumbarton have been far better than us for most of the last decade and that success is something we need to aim for, but looking at the two clubs at the moment it doesn’t suddenly make Dumbarton a bigger team. There’s not a huge amount in it, in this league most clubs are on a similar sort of level, but I think most people would still say Airdrie are a bigger club. If Paton thinks Dumbarton is the right move for him then fair play, can’t argue with that. There probably isn’t a huge amount in it financially and it sounds like the location suits him too, which rightly counts for a lot at this level.

I think most Airdrie fans are well aware of the situation we’re in, we’ve been in League One for a long time and are nowhere near the sort of club Airdrie were even 15 years ago. As others have said, the manager has publicly talked about going for promotion this season, something he hasn’t really done previously. While I quite like the look of some of Dumbarton’s signings and Farrell seems much more ambitious than Duffy was, I certainly don’t think they’ll be aiming for that. There’s a difference between saying that and having a Falkirk style crowdwank as if we have a right to beat teams at this level, which after the last decade we’re all well aware we don’t have. 

Agreed. Falkirk are wanks 🤣

15 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Ally Roy, what can you tell us? 

One of the biggest wastes of a wage ever. One of the least committed players I've ever seen on a pitch. Crapped out of every single challenge ever. Delighted he's gone, stunned beyond belief he's went up a level. Proper comedy signing.

I've always liked Easton as a player so would be happy with that. Agnew, Easton and McCabe are certainly better than any midfielder we started last season with anyway. Hopefully have a decent holding midfielder lined up now that Paton has gone elsewhere. 

I think Easton would be a class signing assuming he hasn't regressed while at Kelty. He was the best player in a Forfar side that finished second and at the time I thought he'd maybe get a Championship move. I wonder if the last year has made the Lowland League less attractive for players. There had been two or three years of players who should be at League One or even Championship level dropping down there but after the shambles of the last 12 months more and more of those players seem to be returning to their rightful level.

Guest Peter LaFleur

Did you just do a signing warning to build up announcing Jay Cantley? Surely not?

Edited by Peter LaFleur

It’s a position we needed cover in and it was always likely to be a youngster. Fair enough. 
My concern is that there has been a fair turnover of these youngsters providing cover in recent years with none of them developing into a first team No.1. Is that a scouting or coaching issue?

Just now, Mybitchunderprotest said:
4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:
It’s a position we needed cover in and it was always likely to be a youngster. Fair enough. 

My concern is that there has been a fair turnover of these youngsters providing cover in recent years with none of them developing into a first team No.1. Is that a scouting or coaching issue?

They likely sign hoping they can challenge the first choice keeper and when that doesn't happen there's zero interest from either party to agree any new deal. One year later we bring in another young keeper as backup and the cycle continues.

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Jay Cantley confirmed. 

Don’t know anything about the boy but glad it’s someone younger who’s hungry to learn and possibly challenge for the jersey.  That’s another position filled…. Any chance of a midfielder getting announced today?