The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

19 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I would take Smith at the rovers Can play Centrally and out wide, Murray likes versatility, Todorov won’t come near us after the incident with Davidson a few years back so I could maybe see him ending up at like a Morton or someone like that (won’t be surprised if he ends back up at Falkirk though) 

Murray link, it would all make sense if Callum Smith ended up at Rovers, less so Todorov as you say.

35 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Talk of Brody Paterson. Played 2 games I think for us so hard to judge. I have a feeling Hartley will offer him a deal but might want to remain FT / be closer to the central belt.

Paterson has another year on his Hartlepool contract remaining therefore there would be a great deal of negotiations to sort out in the first instance for a guy that's only shown some potential to date. Add in that he's had a long term injury, then he's a hard sell for Scottish League 1 clubs so he'll have to take a fair old hit in his pocket or he stays with Hartlepool in the conference.

16 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I would take Smith at the rovers Can play Centrally and out wide, Murray likes versatility, Todorov won’t come near us after the incident with Davidson a few years back so I could maybe see him ending up at like a Morton or someone like that (won’t be surprised if he ends back up at Falkirk though) 

We were in for Todorov this season but deal never materialised. I doubt we would go for him now as we have a very similar player in Oakley and of course Muirhead. Think we do need a striker for next season but more of a pacey, poacher type with good movement. If Dougie can find the Scottish Championship Kyogo, that would be grand.

Four players in the PFA team of the season. Gallagher and Frizzell were obvious picks for what they bring and why they’d stand out to other players. I’m a bit surprised half of the defence is made up of our players, I suppose we did keep the most clean sheets outside of Dunfermline and were stronger defensively at the time voting presumably took place, so easy for some to miss some of the nonsense that’s been on display in certain games. 

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Four players in the PFA team of the season. Gallagher and Frizzell were obvious picks for what they bring and why they’d stand out to other players. I’m a bit surprised half of the defence is made up of our players, I suppose we did keep the most clean sheets outside of Dunfermline and were stronger defensively at the time voting presumably took place, so easy for some to miss some of the nonsense that’s been on display in certain games. 

Whilst I like Cammy Ballantyne, I think he's lucky to be in it given his red cards and subsequent suspensions but good to see Fordyce in as he's been nowhere near as bad as some Airdrie fans have suggested. Frizz a long time injured and did take several games to get going afterwards but hopefully he's fresher than most for the play offs and no surprise fellow pros voted for him.

Gal was obviously a certainty but I'm sure Falkirk fans will be in meltdown at only having 2 players in.

56 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst I like Cammy Ballantyne, I think he's lucky to be in it given his red cards and subsequent suspensions but good to see Fordyce in as he's been nowhere near as bad as some Airdrie fans have suggested. Frizz a long time injured and did take several games to get going afterwards but hopefully he's fresher than most for the play offs and no surprise fellow pros voted for him.

Gal was obviously a certainty but I'm sure Falkirk fans will be in meltdown at only having 2 players in.

Not at all.

Aiden Nesbitt is a wild selection as well.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

We having a good evening then folks?

Absolutely delighted!!!   Still as we have shown ourselves their is still a lot to play for.  90 more minutes and for a spell in the second-half we looked nervous as the back witch has been a feature this season.   We showed how good we are in full flow.   Excellent to watch going forward and Falkirk looked as nervous as I've seen any team this season.   Still questions for Saturday with out goalie missing.   I'll enjoy tonight but nothing is over just yet. 

On 30/04/2023 at 13:16, Kenny_m said:

Rhys is definitely in our best 11 and has to play for me. Yes, not the quickest, but can play the killer pass, best passer and our best threat from set plays. A pressure penalty & great free kick in last years play off final, albeit it wasn't enough, but his experience and ability is vital in these games.

Yip, got it right for once.

12 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip, got it right for once.

Yeah, can’t argue with you on this. I was adamant McMaster was the right choice but fair play, McCabe showed his quality in two huge moments and also helped dropping back into defence to see out the game. I did think we lacked legs in midfield at times in the second half but he did well to bring on Stanway and Telfer to slow things down. 

Tactical masterclass from McCabe. An exciting young manager if ever there was one. An absolute leader on the park too. Yes, Falkirk had spells of pressure but that was always expected at some point and the defence stood solid to a man. Whole team bust a gut last night. Just a superb team effort all round. Fought for everything from the first whistle to the last. Love it. 

I loved McCabe and Fordyce’s reactions to their goals last night. I think we’ve all praised them a lot this season but also been critical when we’ve seen the same recurring issues. It must be hard balancing playing and managing for both of them but you can see how much it means to them. 

Brilliant night.

Only frustration is Rae getting himself needlessly sent-off, I've been impressed with him overall but a few times this season he has come charging out and risking everything. When you are 5-1 up and risking a 2 game suspension, just stay on your line and make him beat you.

I see Hamilton got an emergency loan in yesterday so presumably we can. With Dabrowski now back at Hibs does that mean they might let Johnson come back? Presume he drops down to 3rd choice behind him, and even if 2nd choice you'd think playing in a pressure play-off tie is better for him than sitting on the bench.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, can’t argue with you on this. I was adamant McMaster was the right choice but fair play, McCabe showed his quality in two huge moments and also helped dropping back into defence to see out the game. I did think we lacked legs in midfield at times in the second half but he did well to bring on Stanway and Telfer to slow things down. 

Yeh most of our midfielders will be used in, hopefully our next 3 games. I'm huge on Justin Devenny but he does burn out quickly but probably still developing physically.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Brilliant night.

Only frustration is Rae getting himself needlessly sent-off, I've been impressed with him overall but a few times this season he has come charging out and risking everything. When you are 5-1 up and risking a 2 game suspension, just stay on your line and make him beat you.

I see Hamilton got an emergency loan in yesterday so presumably we can. With Dabrowski now back at Hibs does that mean they might let Johnson come back? Presume he drops down to 3rd choice behind him, and even if 2nd choice you'd think playing in a pressure play-off tie is better for him than sitting on the bench.

It would be the preferred option but the fact they let Dabrowski go on loan and promoted Johnson to back up may be a problem. On the other hand, perhaps Hibs think it would further his development for him but I'm sure Rhys will be on the blower in the next hour.