The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I'd go for the same team as last week but swap out McCann for Eckersley. If Crighton isn't fit then Eckersley or Mckay could play in the back three. 

Think today will give us a good idea where we are at ,we really need to win ,home game and all that ,

Think today will give us a good idea where we are at ,we really need to win ,home game and all that ,
Exactly this, just said to my old man when he was up seeing the kids there, this game (for me anyway) will see if we can look forward to the rest of the season.
I've never once thought we would be challenging for the title this year but I EXPECTED to be challenging for the playoffs.
Win this, and there's no reason we can't be looking up the way, lose it and it will be trying to cement a top 4 place.
For me anyway.

54 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Exactly this, just said to my old man when he was up seeing the kids there, this game (for me anyway) will see if we can look forward to the rest of the season.
I've never once thought we would be challenging for the title this year but I EXPECTED to be challenging for the playoffs.
Win this, and there's no reason we can't be looking up the way, lose it and it will be trying to cement a top 4 place.
For me anyway.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So without sounding like a broken record it’s obvious we need to address the goal issue here. Raith were there for the taking but it was pretty clear they were likely to come to Airdrie and score at least once. How were we going to win this game, where were the goals going to come from? FACTS: In 3 of our 7 league games we have failed to score. We have only scored in 1 of our 4 games at home in the league. We have only scored 6 goals in 7 league games!! Take out Clyde and that’s 3 goals in 6 games! Promotion is laughable right now and while the defense is doing well and has only conceded one goal in last 3 league games we have nobody to ‘win’ the game. I said on here a couple of months back we needed a striker to score our way out of trouble and today was a classic case. Until we get someone who can get the ball in the net we will struggle. Guaranteed

So without sounding like a broken record it’s obvious we need to address the goal issue here. Raith were there for the taking but it was pretty clear they were likely to come to Airdrie and score at least once. How were we going to win this game, where were the goals going to come from? FACTS: In 3 of our 7 league games we have failed to score. We have only scored in 1 of our 4 games at home in the league. We have only scored 6 goals in 7 league games!! Take out Clyde and that’s 3 goals in 6 games! Promotion is laughable right now and while the defense is doing well and has only conceded one goal in last 3 league games we have nobody to ‘win’ the game. I said on here a couple of months back we needed a striker to score our way out of trouble and today was a classic case. Until we get someone who can get the ball in the net we will struggle. Guaranteed
We could have had Bryan Prunty and Jim Lister up front today and still not scored.
Passing was all over the shop, Fordyce had his worst game in a diamond, no communication, no tactics, absolutely nothing clicked and we created the square root of f*ck all.
Absolutely no-one in the middle of the park to create anything.

9 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Back of the net for that good post ,

Insipid, boring, timid, clueless, spineless defensive rubbish. That’s what Murray is serving up. Doesn’t matter what players he puts in whatever position it is set up not to concede and by default not to score. The midfield is set up with defensive minded midfielders who are too slow in thought and action to move the ball forward and make use of what attacking options we have.

I'm sure no one cares, but have been watching since the the start of the season, bought a season ticket this year and definitely have buyers remorse this afternoon, some notes:

• Wasn't convinced by Hutton's positioning early in the season, but he has been getting better and better. hope whatever he had to go off with today doesn't keep him out long.
  • Losing far too many goals from standing back and ball watching rather than pressing opponents. Some completely avoidable soft goals being conceded, often very soon after kick offs, and I think today's could have been avoided today as well but will have to see the "highlights"...
  • As has been mentioned a ton of times on this thread, we need a target man with enough presence to keep hold of the ball. I'm sure Smith can run all day, but he is rarely going to do much with the ball against the half of the other team he is usually surrounded by, and I don't think I've actually seen Gallacher win a challenge.
  • This trying to draw other teams out and then counter attack approach is 80% useless. Passing it all the way back to the keeper trying to draw the other side forward is worthless when the opposition are ahead and don't need to chase the game. The only time it has worked this season that I can recall was the 2nd half vs Clyde. It is a complete and utter waste of time and frustrating to watch.
  • Further to this, the big punt forward is hopeless, because there is no one there to support the forwards, and posession is lost almost every single time.
  • I started going this season, not having been for a few years, but I can't remember watching an Airdrie side so utterly incapable of passing the ball to their own team or even keeping the ball on the ground.
  • Josh Kerr flatters to decieve, incredibly flaky with his distribution and it creates a lot of problems.
  • I wish Wedderburn was a bit more mobile than a traffic cone, as he has the best distribution in the team, but on balance Millar is the better player.
  • Craig Thomson looks like a decent support player, but he can't be the only guy who tries to run at the other team as he will and does get found out.
  • Would like to make more of McCann, but that means actually playing some sort of attacking football. Going a bit more defensive with Eckersley against stronger teams has some sort of logic I suppose.
  • Not enough players moving to help their teammates to find a pass, causes attacking to break down very quickly and is probably a big reason that we can't hold possession for any length of time.
  • Midfield is missing something fundamental.
Edited by G_H

Hard to comment much beyond what our other fans have said. Can't understand the managers failure to adopt: "don't change a winning team". It just felt so flat today and while Raith were solid and strong at the back we hardly won any duels in the midfield or up front.  The desire to get clean sheets is leaving us bereft of attacking threats.

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Hard to comment much beyond what our other fans have said. Can't understand the managers failure to adopt: "don't change a winning team". It just felt so flat today and while Raith were solid and strong at the back we hardly won any duels in the midfield or up front.  The desire to get clean sheets is leaving us bereft of attacking threats.

That's music to our ears. We've suffered two seasons of horrific defending, signed Anderson from ST Johnstone and he's turned a sow's ear into a silk purse..

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yep apart from his last minute panic in giving away a corner he was very good.

The amount of goals we lost to free headers and general incompetence would embarrass a junior side, exemplified recently to Cove Rangers, Stranraer, East Fife and others -we were losing two and three goals nearly every away game since the start of LAST season. Now we have someone who can organise a back line.

We've definitely looked more solid with a back 3 in my opinion but those 3, plus two wing backs, and a couple of defensive minded centre mids seems to commit too many men to defence and there's no creativity in the team. Might be worth trying the back 4 again to try and fit guys like Thomson back into the team. On the other hand it might be that there's no right answer because that's how it felt watching that today.

Some of you on here might groan at this but I think it'd be worth considering to bring wedderburn back into the starting 11. Had a howler against East Fife and looked dodgy when he came on against Dumbarton but that midfield needs shook up and he can't be worse than what was on offer today.