The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Hutts wouldn’t have signed on again if he thought for a minute he was going to be back up.

When he signed initially 2 years ago he must have known there was a good chance he was back-up to Gallacher, which he was until Gallacher's injury, it didn't stop him then. Also, he signed his contract renewal about 5 months ago, the club would have been in no position to guarantee him being number 1 next season at that point. There's no guarantee a new full-time goalie would be better, plus Hutton seems the kind of guy who would have the confidence to challenge him anyway.

I'm only going by Miller's comments in the podcast, I don't see how anyone can interpret his comments as anything else other than they want a full-time goalie.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Definitely seemed like a full time goalie was a priority of Millar's for next season. Far too soon to talk about it but Chucky and Smith would be fantastic signings. As for possibly getting to sign back any of the other out of contract players when the time is right I'd be happy to see the likes of McKay, Millar and Wedderburn back but we definitely need improvements in midfield on last season so if it means not getting other better players in I think we'd be better off with one or two of them not coming back. Really hope Kerr can be signed up for another season, I think he's just about as good as Crighton and has a lot of potential to improve further

Just noticed on another thread,  that the Airdrie programme came in 7th out of 8 clubs entered,  2 online programmes don't count  in the annual programme awards for league 1 clubs, surprise surprise Clyde took the title with Dumbarton runners up...      

have football programmes ran there race in 2020,   is online programmes the way to go,  I know a few of the guys that put in many hours writing articles and stories, this would still continue if online....  Money is tight and will be a lot tighter moving forward,     

On 30/04/2020 at 18:28, Passionate said:

I think John Rankin and Craig Barr were already signed by cowden and clyde......  The players i thought of were Craig Moore (ayr) and Ally Love (clyde) no idea, interesting though

Moore is a good shout. Definitely dodged a bullet if it was Love in more ways than one. 

On 01/05/2020 at 12:15, Stevo1968 said:

Expected praise for all the players resigned but Interesting to hear his praises for Mckay and Kerr both out of contract, intrigued to see where they both end up...

If the pandemic hadn't occurred I think out of all the out of contract players McKay, Kerr and Millar would have been offered contracts. I'd be happy to see all 3 of them return when this is all over. I like Roberts and Hawkshaw but the management obviously aren't keen for whatever reason and think they would have been let go along with Roy and Big Nat. S.Gall I'm not sure about for reasons I'll expand upon below. 

On 01/05/2020 at 12:52, Diamond10 said:

Chucky and Callum Smith would be outstanding additions if we can pull it off . Also thought big Nat was coming on a bit just before all this started . Noticed he mentioned the fact we had 2 part time goalkeepers so guessing a full time one might be a high priority also.

On 02/05/2020 at 10:15, Diamonds are Forever said:

That was definitely the implication from what he said. He stopped short of saying it but could tell he felt having part-time goalies held us back a bit. I wouldn't have said it was that obvious an issue, however I guess organising set-pieces (and any defensive situation really) doesn't really work in training if neither of your goalies are there, and set-pieces were a slight issue.

Would expect, all going well, they are wanting a full-timer with Hutton as back up.

19 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Definitely seemed like a full time goalie was a priority of Millar's for next season. Far too soon to talk about it but Chucky and Smith would be fantastic signings. As for possibly getting to sign back any of the other out of contract players when the time is right I'd be happy to see the likes of McKay, Millar and Wedderburn back but we definitely need improvements in midfield on last season so if it means not getting other better players in I think we'd be better off with one or two of them not coming back. Really hope Kerr can be signed up for another season, I think he's just about as good as Crighton and has a lot of potential to improve further

Gallacher obviously became the #1 goalie before the season's shutdown so may feel aggrieved at not being offered a new contract but the inference from Millar was definitely that they want a full-time goalie, which makes sense from a training and organisational standpoint. That being said, assuming Willison and McNeil return, I'm not convinced we need 4 goalkeepers (though again I understand the reasons why) and I'd rather spend the wages of Gallacher or a full-time goalie on a good midfielder as I think that'd be much more of a difference maker. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Just noticed on another thread,  that the Airdrie programme came in 7th out of 8 clubs entered,  2 online programmes don't count  in the annual programme awards for league 1 clubs, surprise surprise Clyde took the title with Dumbarton runners up...      

have football programmes ran there race in 2020,   is online programmes the way to go,  I know a few of the guys that put in many hours writing articles and stories, this would still continue if online....  Money is tight and will be a lot tighter moving forward,     

I'm a programme collector and still believe there's a market for good quality written/printed products. The Airdrie programme is decent and its placing seems to indicate that the majority of the league also produce good quality programmes. I still think being able to produce one is one of the markers of a professional well-run club. Online programmes, while still of good quality, just aren't the same. I believe that since the Airdrie programme was resurrected a few seasons ago it prints essentially as many copies as it sells so as not to make a loss which seems the most sensible option. I would be sad to see programmes vanish completely, though possibly an alternative would be to print and sell them on a subscription only basis which I believe Airdrie already offer. 

Good listen once again. Agree with everything he said RE the vote. The talk of wanting to sign more full-time players, hoping to sign Smith and Ryan should they be free to leave Dunfermline and of players already being offered to the club is a positive. Obviously it's all totally budget dependent and dependent on the state of the club's finances after so long without any football but I am sure he wouldn't be saying these things on a public forum if he didn't think the club would be able to come out of the pandemic in a healthy position. I'm always impressed with Stan and it's brilliant to see the club represented by somebody as articulate and who clearly has the best interests of the club at heart and mind. It's been a long time coming but we finally have a club who are putting in the time and effort to give us a club to be proud of both on and off the park. Good message from Millar for 1924 members in their inbox today as well. 
RE the player, the first one that came to mind was John Rankin though I am not sure if he fits the 3 months timeline and/or if he was already signed up by Clyde for the 19/20 season. Craig Barr would also be a logical guess. 

Can the club 1924 stuff be shared? Discussions going on that are quite cryptic!

On 29/04/2020 at 12:42, airdrieman said:

No surprise at all and well deserved. I fully expect him to sweep the fans' vote too. 

Was Accies letting him go for nothing an even worse decision than letting someone steal a million quid from their bank account? Undoubtedly. 

Hopefully there is a sell on clause as plenty of us were perplexed at this decision.

The position he plays in was probably our strongest squad wise with four players capable in that position with Scott McMann not likely to lose his place.

Now,if he only be could have played right back.He was outstanding in every game I watched him playing in under 20's/reserves, so knew you guys had won a watch.

I'm the groundsman at Dumbarton, and found a wallet. It must have been jammed in the back of a seat and worked it's way out. I have the guys address just wondering if he was on here before handing it into the police.

Ahhhh, thanks for the context and sorry for the cheeky response. I’ll stick a note up on our Facebook page and see if that gets a response.

He’ll be going snooker loopy if he’s had no wallet since 8th Feb.

I’ll come back to you if there’s a response [emoji1303]

15 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Ahhhh, thanks for the context and sorry for the cheeky response. I’ll stick a note up on our Facebook page and see if that gets a response.

He’ll be going snooker loopy if he’s had no wallet since 8th Feb.

I’ll come back to you if there’s a response emoji1303.png

Maybe better to narrow it down,  was wallet found behind the yellow seats or behind the black.....

It was lying on the concrete so I can only imagine it was stuck in the back of a seat that hadnt been used again. It must have been wedged in all that time then maybe the wind has caught it and it's fell down. I've walked that row many a time and would have noticed before now.

Maybe better to narrow it down,  was wallet found behind the yellow seats or behind the black.....