The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I've never been a Murray out type but his position is just completely untenable at this point. He is just clueless tactically, embarrassingly so for a professional football manager. He is clearly just a puppet for whoever owns/uses our club and is seen as a joke by any fan with a modicum of sense. It's just pish.

He’s a good ambassador the club off the park and seems like a good guy but Sean Crighton has been a liability at times this season. He’s had a poor season, certainly a big drop in performances from last season, and has cost us goals in more than a few games now. A player of his experience and standing within the club shouldn’t be getting sent off for a stupid tackle when he knows we have a lot of big games coming up. It’s far from our only problem but a captain and coach should know better than to have a heads gone moment like that.

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I've never been a Murray out type but his position is just completely untenable at this point. He is just clueless tactically, embarrassingly so for a professional football manager. He is clearly just a puppet for whoever owns/uses our club and is seen as a joke by any fan with a modicum of sense. It's just pish.

Finally, 

7 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I think this is pretty much how I feel. I’ve always supported Murray as I think there’s a decent manager in there, he certainly proved that at Dumbarton. This just isn’t working anymore though, for him or the club, and it’s hard to see him turning it round from here. 

I think Murray’s been unfortunate in that this season especially he’s clearly been given players he doesn’t really rate. However, it’s up to him to get the best out of the players that he has and while it’s a very tight league, this team should be doing better than 7th in League One. I wouldn’t be entirely against giving Murray a chance to build his own team in the summer but overall I think the club probably needs something new. 

Next season needs to be a fresh start. No signings that the manager clearly doesn’t want, no links with dodgy agents, just let the manager bring in his own team and see how we get on. 

8 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Have you been waiting for me specifically to make that point? I'm touched if a little concerned... 😲

Started well enough should have had a pen that said defence all over place McKay and Crighton poor to many mistakes their second and third goals shockers can't see where we go from here perhaps 6th place ♦️

Clyde allowing us to hammer them twice has covered up what is relegation form. We have 10 points from the 10 games against the rest of the league. Our cup form, particularly losing twice to Edinburgh City was equally bad. In all competitions we have won 6, drawn 1 and lost 10.

I've made comments up the thread about wider issues with recruitment etc, but the bottom line is that Murray is now responsible for organising these guys into a competitive League 1 side, and we simply aren't. Given how quickly the fixtures are coming around just now it won't take much for us to slip into a relegation battle unless things improve drastically.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

35 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He’s a good ambassador the club off the park and seems like a good guy but Sean Crighton has been a liability at times this season. He’s had a poor season, certainly a big drop in performances from last season, and has cost us goals in more than a few games now. A player of his experience and standing within the club shouldn’t be getting sent off for a stupid tackle when he knows we have a lot of big games coming up. It’s far from our only problem but a captain and coach should know better than to have a heads gone moment like that.

I dared to say that and got shot down, maybe another manager could get more from the players, they really don't seem good enough for this league though,being realistic we could go down, 

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Clyde allowing us to hammer up them twice has covered up what is relegation form. We have 10 points from the 10 games against the rest of the league. Our cup form, particularly losing twice to Edinburgh City was equally bad. In all competitions we have won 6, drawn 1 and lost 10.

I've made comments up the thread about wider issues with recruitment etc, but the bottom line is that Murray is now responsible for organising these guys into a competitive League 1 side, and we simply aren't. Given how quickly the fixtures are coming around just now it won't take much for us to slip into a relegation battle unless things improve drastically.

Should no better to expect more so angry at that performance just can't see the game plan going no where fast ♦️

My patience with Murray had worn out before this afternoon. But it's hard to see how he can come back from that. A total capitulation at home and no clue how to tighten things up let alone get back into the game. If I remember correctly, we've won 5/12 league games and we've won only 2 home games all season. Those two games being 2 of our first 3 home league games. That also includes losing to an average League 2 team at home twice. Even without any analysis on recruitment, tactics and team selection - at the end of the day that just isn't good enough. At least last season we were difficult to beat and didn't lose many goals. Now we're terribly easy to beat, especially at home, and concede laughably bad goals on a regular basis. We're not scoring enough either. We've scored 19 goals in the league - 9 of which came against Clyde. I had more time for Murray than a lot of people, but what he's serving up isn't working and it's time for a change. That game today certainly had the vibes of the beginning of the end and of a manager who's ran out of ideas. Whether that's enough for him to either be sacked or resign I guess time will tell. 

55 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Have you been waiting for me specifically to make that point? I'm touched if a little concerned... 😲

It's just how I have felt about the team all season, its makes for a bad weekend, if Murray picks at puts out that team then he is not good enough, on the other hand if he is being told what players to play then he is not the man for us, 

Airdrie fans like myself keep supporting the side when we see a chance of improvement. I, like many others have lost that hope today.

We are, and have been under Murray, a side that relies on opponents mistakes from set pieces rather than build up play. We have too many players who cannot retain possesion for any length of time and a general lack of quality in key areas. Those that can retain possession are usually on the bench (Sabatini).

What troubles me is that we have players who are actually regressing under Murray. Leon McCann is a prime example of a young guy who came to us, comfortable on the ball and full of confidence and now look at him. It is perfectly clear that many of our players would perform far better with other sides.

5 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Airdrie fans like myself keep supporting the side when we see a chance of improvement. I, like many others have lost that hope today.

We are, and have been under Murray, a side that relies on opponents mistakes from set pieces rather than build up play. We have too many players who cannot retain possesion for any length of time and a general lack of quality in key areas. Those that can retain possession are usually on the bench (Sabatini).

What troubles me is that we have players who are actually regressing under Murray. Leon McCann is a prime example of a young guy who came to us, comfortable on the ball and full of confidence and now look at him. It is perfectly clear that many of our players would perform far better with other sides.

The regression of the defence as a whole is a huge concern. Hard not to believe a better manager wouldn't get more out of them and the squad as a whole. 

5 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

We know Miller was running the show till couple weeks ago but Murray need help from Cameron last season We have gone backwards and not progressing with no clear route out of this league. We were that bad today no one had commented on how bad the ref was.. who I am not blaming for our thumping today ♦️

I've questioned before the value of Murray as a manager and that he is very unlikely to take us up.

At the moment I'm actually quite worried that he is going to take us down.

Edit: So where are all the happy clappers to tell us how great the dressing room atmosphere is, and how the team reported back from the break in top shape?

Edited by G_H

There's Ian Murray saying 'we were as good as we've been' in his post-match interview. Guy's a clown. I know you can't take much stock in these things but if that's the standard he's setting as good enough then he doesn't belong as a manager at this level. Looks like we'll be stuck with him for another week at least. 

Guest Peter LaFleur

How was Paton? He has two pieces of play in his locker; either crab like movement to make a simple pass or to hoof it in the air in the direction he’s facing to absolutely nobody?

Edited by Peter LaFleur

32 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I have not seen the Murray interview but that was so bad today and for much of the season. It would give me no pleasure to see anyone losing a job, but he must be close to be going soon. The triple subs is what really gets me annoyed and the main culprits stay on the park.

Like yourself don't like to see anyone loose their job however the interview is concerning wouldn't expect him to slate the team but seems there is no acceptance of how bad today was particularly the 2nd half and if the manager can't see the problems he sure can't fix them ♦️