The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Manager  injured ?? 

Ill apparently and don’t think he even made it to the game? Will take the point in the end given how the game was going but disappointing not to see out the 1-0 lead. The first-half was scrappy but thought we did ‘well enough’ and a second goal would have killed it. Stanway and Telfer in particular impressed. And nice to see Frizz on the scoresheet. But the second-half played out exactly like the first game there. We totally fell out of it and were losing every second or loose ball. The choice of subs and lack of sub is again a real issue for me. With our final sub break and 3 substitutions left to make they only bring on Dean McMaster? 😂 A like-for-like change swapping a lesser player into a system that wasn’t working? You’ve three forwards on the bench in Jamieson, Salim and Bright and you’re needing a goal. At least bring one of them on. The only times we got near goal in the second-half was through balls in behind which is Jamieson’s bread and butter. And Salim has a knack for scoring late goals which was exactly the circumstance we were in. It’s poor management and a recurring problem. 

McGregor’s pace looks like it will cause teams problems. Thought ATS was dreadful and Deveney and Watson were poor also though Fordyce was better than he has been. Hopefully Big Byrd in for ATS in a couple of weeks. 

Alloa game is massive now. Really is a must win or else there will be a bit of a gap between us and the play-offs. 

I'd have a minor dissent with Airdrieman for one rare occasion in that ATS did all that we expect him to do , although clearly he is limited.

I agree on Euan today as he seemed perplexed at facing up to  Aggeyman and especially Higginbotham from about thirty minutes onward. He does get more exposed than Watson because Callum Smith is all over the front line while Gabby does funnel back. That's probably all that McGill offers although he had some neat interplay when taking Gallagher position. Thought that was a strange sub. as we were then been overrun in midfield in second half. Obviously we need to score three for a secure lead!

Fordyce and Telfer were our best players as Stanway ran out of steam. Kelty are a tough side but they got their passing control for almost all of the second half. 

A point is dissapointing but we've lost games like that before so I suppose it's something. Mind you four points from 18 against the promoted sides is a worry. 

So many young guys in our squad and as Hansen said? 

Two home games coming up and we need to win. 

On the weather front that's the wildest rain/wind gusts I can remember but my Curry has gone down a treat. 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

We haven’t half had some nae user centre halves plucked from random places in our time.

Remember Marcin Lukaszewski? Who was the bollan signing, Serbian boy or Croat, positive it was eastern Europe direction, went to Morton?

57 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Think James Sharpe was the player Kenny Black said he had tried to sign him for a long time  , 

Still never seen anyone take a throw in like big Jim.

12 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Remember Marcin Lukaszewski? Who was the bollan signing, Serbian boy or Croat, positive it was eastern Europe direction, went to Morton?

Still never seen anyone take a throw in like big Jim.

Stefan Milojovic? 

Think he ended up being a MMA fighter. 

Think that game showed why signing a midfield destroyer could be crucial. Even if we just had someone to bring on we could have potentially managed the game better and stopped the momentum of the game swinging towards Kelty. Stanway had a good game but fell out of it and you can’t expect or rely on an 18 year old to be fulfilling that role every week. McCabe back will help but I’d still like a proper shithouse midfield type. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Stefan Milojovic? 

Think he ended up being a MMA fighter. 

As well as an MMA fighter, he was also apparently arrested and was the leader of a biker gang in Spain :lol:

My main James Sharp memory is my mum calling him shite only to realise his partner was behind her and didn’t look too pleased. She can’t have been surprised as I can’t imagine he got much positive feedback from his other clubs.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Next week is a very big game, the league is long gone so top 4 is the target and Alloa will be one of those we are competing with. Looking at the table we have played 12 away games and only 9 home games so I'm hoping we should be able to get on a good run with plenty of home games still to play.

We actually have a decent record against the top two (W1 D2) and bottom two (W4 D1), it’s the results against the teams around us that will be key to making the top four. Obviously we can’t cope with Edinburgh for some reason but so far we’re even with Alloa (W1 L1), Kelty (W1 D1 L1) and Queens (D2) and have the edge on Montrose (W2 L1). If we can win the head to heads against each of those teams that would make a huge difference in what is a very tight league. 

Alloa will be a tough game but two wins would give us a real boost before the Dunfermline/Falkirk double header.

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

You’ve three forwards on the bench in Jamieson, Salim and Bright and you’re needing a goal. At least bring one of them on. The only times we got near goal in the second-half was through balls in behind which is Jamieson’s bread and butter. And Salim has a knack for scoring late goals which was exactly the circumstance we were in.

Totally with you here. You want to win the game so I say roll the dice - especially with Sal and LJ - the latter who would really freshen things up with his directness/channel runs. I thought that was supposed to be the philosophy anyway - play to win and outscore the opponent.

That being said, I don't think a point at Kelty is a disaster. Man-for-man, at full strength (which they pretty much are) they have one of, if not THE best team in the league on paper in my opinion. Their pitch also makes it sticky for ball-playing opposition. Falkirk and Pars both had, with respect, easy home ties - hopefully things balance out and it swings our way soon again.

13 hours ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Totally with you here. You want to win the game so I say roll the dice - especially with Sal and LJ - the latter who would really freshen things up with his directness/channel runs. I thought that was supposed to be the philosophy anyway - play to win and outscore the opponent.

That being said, I don't think a point at Kelty is a disaster. Man-for-man, at full strength (which they pretty much are) they have one of, if not THE best team in the league on paper in my opinion. Their pitch also makes it sticky for ball-playing opposition. Falkirk and Pars both had, with respect, easy home ties - hopefully things balance out and it swings our way soon again.

The Jamieson situation is strange. I understand he was out injured last week but he’s barely featured since he couldn’t play in the Scottish Cup. I like Gabby but hard to argue that Jamieson isn’t the better player, even if he isn’t a proper wide forward either. 

17 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The Jamieson situation is strange. I understand he was out injured last week but he’s barely featured since he couldn’t play in the Scottish Cup. I like Gabby but hard to argue that Jamieson isn’t the better player, even if he isn’t a proper wide forward either. 

I really like Gabby McGill but he's not suited in a 4-3-3 playing wide right. He's really good at coming off the bench and making an impact in a game.

The only way I'd start McGill if he's played through the middle. If we're going to play 4-3-3 I'd rather see LJ or McGregor played out wide.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

I really like Gabby McGill but he's not suited in a 4-3-3 playing wide right. He's really good at coming off the bench and making an impact in a game.

The only way I'd start McGill if he's played through the middle. If we're going to play 4-3-3 I'd rather see LJ or McGregor played out wide.

Dixon not on bench was he not available, no doubt a friendly for next week give young lads a run. 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Dixon not on bench was he not available, no doubt a friendly for next week give young lads a run. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

He's unlikely to feature, described as one for the longer term!

Behind Jay Riley in the pecking order now 😕😂 I’d probably rather see Dixon at right-back than Riley again… He’ll have been a cheap punt so I can see why they’ve taken a chance on him. But we’re probably as well sending him out on loan and seeing if he’s got anything about him. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Behind Jay Riley in the pecking order now 😕😂 I’d probably rather see Dixon at right-back than Riley again… He’ll have been a cheap punt so I can see why they’ve taken a chance on him. But we’re probably as well sending him out on loan and seeing if he’s got anything about him. 

Obviously, someone thinks we can make money off him and a loan is a possibility but perhaps that depends on further squad movements.

Seen mention of Smith and Frizzell attracting interest elsewhere, you just never know. 

24 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Obviously, someone thinks we can make money off him and a loan is a possibility but perhaps that depends on further squad movements.

Seen mention of Smith and Frizzell attracting interest elsewhere, you just never know. 

Behind Jay Riley no very promising then,