The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Is missing two games really enough for rustiness to set in? Maybe. I'm not convinced. Either way I suspect we will be pretty strong on Saturday as mentioned earlier, but I completely agree with your second point, I'm not at all averse to finishing 4th and having first go at Hamilton/Cove. Not actively wanting it, you instinctively want to finish as best you can, but I'd not be concerned at all. 

Dunfermline are a comfortably better side than anyone we can face in the playoffs, so with our best players fit and available, we shouldn't fear any of them regardless of the home/away permutations. 

Given our track record in the play-offs - namely usually win in the semis, never win in the final - I would rather play Falkirk in the semis.

Didn’t know this about Hutton’s daughter but that’s horrific. Glad she is doing okay and been given the all clear. Assume he’ll play on the last day but might be nice to give him a proper send off at home on Saturday rather than in front of nobody at Meadowbank. Then again, maybe his penalty save at Dunfermline is best the way for him to bow out. 

1A96BE0A-7E7B-431E-8846-1D457EFEF5A7.png

3DA82579-D202-4A93-8430-BBE6ACFEC712.png

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Is missing two games really enough for rustiness to set in? Maybe. I'm not convinced. Either way I suspect we will be pretty strong on Saturday as mentioned earlier, but I completely agree with your second point, I'm not at all averse to finishing 4th and having first go at Hamilton/Cove. Not actively wanting it, you instinctively want to finish as best you can, but I'd not be concerned at all. 

Dunfermline are a comfortably better side than anyone we can face in the playoffs, so with our best players fit and available, we shouldn't fear any of them regardless of the home/away permutations. 

I was thinking about the possible permutations of thethe

Just now, Passionate said:

I was thinking about the possible permutations of thethe

Cont..

I was thinking about the possible permutations of the playoffs,  Airdrie at the moment and likely to remain 3 seed.     The scenic route to the promised land  still has to go through Grangemouth in my opinion,,    Allo a  still have a bit of work to do,  Edinburgh could still sneak it....

it is mission accomplished pre season target wise,   my main worry is we haven't had a 'signature win'  against our rivals, we had Falkirk in our grasp last week and let it slip,   we had Dunfermline th e same on Saturday and let them off the hook,   Can this team win the big game....   Time will tell

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Cont..

I was thinking about the possible permutations of the playoffs,  Airdrie at the moment and likely to remain 3 seed.     The scenic route to the promised land  still has to go through Grangemouth in my opinion,,    Allo a  still have a bit of work to do,  Edinburgh could still sneak it....

it is mission accomplished pre season target wise,   my main worry is we haven't had a 'signature win'  against our rivals, we had Falkirk in our grasp last week and let it slip,   we had Dunfermline th e same on Saturday and let them off the hook,   Can this team win the big game....   Time will tell

We beat Falkirk 4 nil...

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Last season we rested the full team against Peterhead on the final day then lost away to Montrose with a full strength side in the next game. Not saying that was the reason but I think a balance between resting players and continuing positive momentum needs to be found

Yeah to be fair to Ian Murray he did try both approaches.

2 years ago we just went for keeping the momentum going but ran out of steam in the final, and the opposite tactic last year but unfortunately same end result.

Hopefully this is the year we finally get it right.

20 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think you’re not allowed to play for your parent club until the next transfer window after going out on loan, though I could be wrong. I’ve got absolutely no intention of going to Meadowbank but Bright playing could change that.

Don't think he even started a game for the Shire so it looks like he's nowhere near it, yet.

56 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Does anyone know if Darren Barr has an official role within our academy? Obviously we know he’s involved but never seen anything official. Gow’s assistant effectively?

I think Darren Barr is the head coach of the U18s, along with Ryan McStay. I can't say I know the finer details but Gow is AFAIK the head of the operation overall (and is the one who's financing it?). I think John Truesdale of the community club is also involved which will presumably see the community club become a feeder to the academy as it continues to develop and become embedded within the club. I'm sure I read the academy are expanding to include an U16s team so they'll presumably have their own new coaching team. 

On 24/04/2023 at 15:46, Skyline Drifter said:

Assuming they are at least 16 years old, fully registered to the club, have been continuously registered since 31 January (or if signed later were unattached at 31 January), AND haven't been on loan to anyone else since 31 January, then yes, under the rules they are eligible. You play them all the league might have a word under the rule about playing your strongest team though!

You can't play anyone who is out on loan to anyone else but still allowed to play development football too though.

I think that would be an issue for us because the development squad are possibly not on contracts whereby they can play for the first team, hence the issue with Bright Prince having to wait until January and a new deal before he could even be named on our bench.

We do still have Gibson and Gunn though do we not? They've both featured for the first team earlier in the season so contracts aren't an issue and they could be used against Edinburgh I would have thought.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Typo

10 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I think that would be an issue for us because the development squad are possibly not on contracts whereby they can play for the first team, hence the issue with Bright Prince having to wait until January and a new deal before he could even be named on our bench.

We do still have Gibson and Gunn though do we not? They've both featured for the first team earlier in the season so contracts aren't an issue and they could be used against Edinburgh I would have thought.

It’s a strange situation. We’ve played young players in the League Cup and Scottish Cup but despite being on the bench loads in the league, I don’t remember any of them playing a league game at all. I’d assume if contracts were an issue then they couldn’t be named on the bench but I could be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I don't think that's why he wasn't on the bench until January. That's to do with signing amateurs from abroad outwith a window I think. You then can't play them until the next window opens. Given you're past January they should all be eligible. If he's eligible to play for East Stirling, he's eligible to play for you (he can't play for you because he's out on loan of course, but that's a different thing).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It’s a strange situation. We’ve played young players in the League Cup and Scottish Cup but despite being on the bench loads in the league, I don’t remember any of them playing a league game at all. I’d assume if contracts were an issue then they couldn’t be named on the bench but I could be wrong.

There's no different eligibility to be on the bench than to be in the eleven. And if people were named in cup ties then they are full signed. You can play trialists in League One league matches (before 31 March) but not in cup matches.

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think Darren Barr is the head coach of the U18s, along with Ryan McStay. I can't say I know the finer details but Gow is AFAIK the head of the operation overall (and is the one who's financing it?). I think John Truesdale of the community club is also involved which will presumably see the community club become a feeder to the academy as it continues to develop and become embedded within the club. I'm sure I read the academy are expanding to include an U16s team so they'll presumably have their own new coaching team. 

The academy has done probably better than expected this season,   Under 18s ,won the league in style with many admirers,   personally For the lads to continue to develop they need to play superior teams and player, is there plans to join an under 20s league For example,  that is,when real,development kicks in and you can maybe progress players slowly to first team football  not before,  a few on Facebook wanting players promoted to first team future now,   these lads need to be carefully nurtured not thrown in. To must win First team football ...  Bright Prince who was fastracked, was loaned out to East Stirling and hardly got a game,  Time will tell if that has had a detrimental effect on the lad....

Quote from the match preview for tomorrow.

Possibly see guys like Stanway, Deveney and Mcgregor start tomorrow
The Diamonds assistant confirmed that he and manager Rhys McCabe may make changes in order to rest some first-team regulars ahead of the play-offs

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

The Diamonds assistant confirmed that he and manager Rhys McCabe may make changes in order to rest some first-team regulars ahead of the play-offs

Seems sensible to me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Byrd play alongside McCabe at the back, with Rhys using his experience to guide Lachie through the match.

I don't think it matters whether we finish 3rd or 4th, in either case we are likely to need to beat both Falkirk and whoever finishes 9th in the Championship. We have played Falkirk twice in recent weeks, getting outplayed and deservedly beaten at home, but then playing vastly better at their ground, only getting a draw down to a late goal.. 

I feel that at our best we are capable of getting promotion, however, I fear that in at least one of the four games required we will not turn up, and that will cost us.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Don't mind that TBH.