Hamilton Accies vs St Johnstone 06/02/2019

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only poor Accies player tonight was Imrie, and the fact that Rice realised that, rectified it and changed the game is a breath of fresh air.

Imrie was poor, but Gogic was also chronic again. Get Martin or Taiwo in for him and we’d be even better.

What a night! Can't remember the last time I left NDP feeling this positive! 

Amazing team performance, as said Imrie was the only real weak link but impressive to see Rice react, making changes and just constantly encouraging players to keep up the pressure. When Miller came on, the impact was instant. Davies was solid and Oakley, what a find! 

Loved Rice geeing up the crowd as well! They certainly responded, straight back cheering the team on after the equaliser.

The feel good factor has finally come out of hibernation! Long may it continue! :thumsup2 

That was abysmal. It's funny you look at a Saints team on paper and think not bad, some great attacking options in there. Then the game kicks off and players start popping up in weird places, Callachan right midfield, O'halloran in behind the strikers, Liam Craig left midfield then Mikey as striker, the left, the right, then Kennedy left, the right, then striker. Then he finally makes a sub and swaps man for man Kane (who was ok) for Watt and leaves Callachan right midfield when you have two right midfielders who can actually play some football on the bench.

Honestly, I spent the whole 90 totally confused as to what the hell we were doing. Add to that the first time in a long time the defence never turned up. Brutal 90 mins and I paid £22 for that. And my bovril was shite in a polystyrene cup.

Hamilton deserved this win though. No doubt. 

When you watch a team every week, there is little more frustrating as a layman in the stand than seeing such an obvious display of square pegs in round holes.

It's not even as if O'Halloran is a new signing. He must've played 100+ games for us and I don't think he's ever been an attacking central midfielder, so what makes Tommy Wright think he's suddenly become one? And it's not even like it's a position we're short in.

How can a team build any sort of momentum if you keep switching players about?

I thought this was a great chance to beat our eternal bogey team as they would have half an eye on their Cup Tie and so it proved.

Like others,I was sceptical about the starting line up,but only Imrie let us down and I don't see a place for him now.He can't complain though as he has been past his best at this level for two years.

Great Subs which won us the game and special mentions to Oakley/Big Gravy up front,wee Boydie who is putting a shift in and the matchwinning tackle by Ziggy Gordon.

6 hours ago, Radford said:

When you watch a team every week, there is little more frustrating as a layman in the stand than seeing such an obvious display of square pegs in round holes.

It's not even as if O'Halloran is a new signing. He must've played 100+ games for us and I don't think he's ever been an attacking central midfielder, so what makes Tommy Wright think he's suddenly become one? And it's not even like it's a position we're short in.

How can a team build any sort of momentum if you keep switching players about?

I was worried when TW referenced O'Halloran playing central when McMillan was loaned out, I can only remember him ever playing well there at Ibrox.

All TW literally has to do is sub him in for Wright in a winning, settled formation. Probably swap Craig and Goss aswell dependent on the opposition. Feels like sometimes he's so determined to counteract the opposition (it worked away to Livi obviously) that he overthinks the set up.

That was brilliant just brilliant . I love Davies his first touch and hold up play is top notch. Only 1000 Accies fans but who gives a toss. First game for me since Rangers at home . And ive definetely caught the bug again. It was like watching a Alex Neil team. Onwards and upwards The reds.

12 minutes ago, d_t_b said:

The BBC match report is claiming St Johnstone were largely the better team. Clearly they were watching a different game to me

More time on the ball = Better according to them

Well, what a result that was. I am a massive fan of Big Davies and Oakley playing together.

I thought Mikel Miller and Tony Andreu changed the game, really hope Mikel signs a new deal soon as he is a huge asset to our squad.  

I think there was an element of ignorance from the saints, they have had it there own way against us for seasons now. They seemed shocked we actually tried to play football. 

That being said, good luck on the push for Top 6, the saints are  one of the 'good guys' in the league. 

Saints clearly weren't the better team, although was it Jane Lewis doing the report?

We created maybe the best chances outside of the goals - early one for Craig and Kennedy in after Sowah's slip - and Kennedy's shot when he cut in off the left was close but we looked a team without a plan, as the manager has admitted.

Accies clearly knew how they wanted to play though, either get the ball wide to the full backs, especially McGowan, for crosses or play it up to the strikers early. The dogs of war in midfield were rabid and won that battle meaning Saints were playing far too deep.

Only Celtic and Rangers away and Aberdeen at home next...

Archived